1 2
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/25/19 1:10 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

I've always like these but I've never driven one. Small, AWD, stick shift - it's like a usable Lada Niva. There's also a company selling cheap lift kits and rock sliders for them.  https://www.rocky-road.com/sx4-lift-kit.html

sx4 rock slider

Avoid Rocky Road like the plague, they have a terrible reputation in the tracker/samurai community.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
4/25/19 1:19 p.m.

I love these little cars, always has me tempted to make a rally car out of it due to manual transmission AWD not a subaru. I wonder what suzuki bike engines we could make work under the hood there and retain AWD...

good headroom too due to the egg shape. I bet working on it is pretty simple and easy - they don't seem too complicated just robust little cars with not a lot of pep to them. but the pep department can always be changed...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
4/25/19 1:40 p.m.

Why would you want a motorcycle engine in a car that weighs close to 3100 pounds and has an AWD system to push around?

There is, or at least was, a turbo kit on the market that added about 50% more horsepower.  I'm not sure how they controlled the fueling on that.  I think Zombie Wolf may have some opinions on these.  

For a second set of wheels I'm using a set of 16" steel wheels "meant" for a Camry.  Suzuki using the 5x114.3 bolt pattern gives a lot of options for wheels on the cheap.  

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
4/25/19 1:48 p.m.

11k rpm 1 liter with a choo choo-er?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/25/19 8:12 p.m.
MrChaos said:
ultraclyde said:

I've always like these but I've never driven one. Small, AWD, stick shift - it's like a usable Lada Niva. There's also a company selling cheap lift kits and rock sliders for them.  https://www.rocky-road.com/sx4-lift-kit.html

sx4 rock slider

Avoid Rocky Road like the plague, they have a terrible reputation in the tracker/samurai community.

Well now I'm just disappointed 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/26/19 1:12 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Front brakes had days or weeks left on them?  They looked thin to me.

Check the nail polish isle for matching paint, then add clear, a PO sticker, it will be golden.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
4/26/19 2:05 p.m.
akylekoz said:

In reply to kazoospec :

Front brakes had days or weeks left on them?  They looked thin to me.

Check the nail polish isle for matching paint, then add clear, a PO sticker, it will be golden.

Got the brakes done earlier this week.  I've got some "left over" touch up paint from our Mazda 5 that isn't too far off, so I'm gonna try that first for the stone chips and such.  I'll keep nail polish in mind as a "back up plan".   I also ordered some rear shocks as one of the rears puked all it's fluid on the driveway this week.  Gotta love old cars. 

EDIT:  Although it does explain why it felt like the rear end needed shocks!

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
4/27/19 12:35 p.m.

Mirror debodging, Part II:  Since there doesn't appear to be any way we're color-matching the pearl white, the best solution seemed to be to repaint the white mirror black, so they at least match.  

Yep, definitely better: 

We also hit all the stone chips and the one rust area with POR-15, which is why Po appears to have chicken pox.  

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
4/27/19 3:11 p.m.

Today's other project was new rear shocks.  We now have more Po, less Tigger.

meareweird
meareweird New Reader
4/28/19 8:50 a.m.

Watching htis with interest, always liked these little things. I had heard some engine issues may come up have you read into that?

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
4/28/19 11:35 a.m.

In reply to meareweird :

From what I've read so far, it seems like the engine life is decent if you keep up with oil changes.  I'm still "learning the car" myself.  If there are "known issues" discovered along the way, I'll certainly try to remedy them and update here.  

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
4/28/19 3:49 p.m.

Today, we got the "Po Face" added to the back.  Unfortunately, we needed to shift it a bit to the left to cover up our rust repair.  It's looks ok, but it's driving the OCD part of me nuts.  

And yes, my son needs to wash his car.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EN25fDym60ct6wpiPAOY2XO8aR7Wz0VIxT7b5bNJK2r1inIAIACwyN8Ww1ndrxsE