1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 89
petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/20/17 12:29 a.m.

Day-66(2-hours):

Started slowly disassembling the carb. The throttle lever seems swedged onto the shaft, so I'll need to work on it a bit more, but both bowls & the small hardware is soaking overnight.

petegossett
2/20/17 6:14 p.m.

Any tips for getting stuck paper gaskets off somewhat delicate surfaces? I thought soaking in carb cleaner would do it, but no luck.

einy
einy Reader
2/20/17 6:50 p.m.

Plastic scraper and acetone has worked for me in the past, Pete.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/17 7:06 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XchwE9zVdnw

Sorry I couldn't resist and no I'm not serious.

petegossett
2/20/17 7:43 p.m.

In reply to einy:

I searched all over my shop for a plastic scraper, but couldn't turn one up. I even looked for something plastic I could improvise with...I may need to get creative.

In reply to Stampie:

\m/

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/17 7:46 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

You didn't remove the screw from the nearest light switch?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/20/17 7:47 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

As covered in the r63 thread, the edge of a hard plastic wall switch plate makes a good scraper. Just don't use the flexible ("unbreakable") ones as they're too soft and don't leave an uncovered switch or outlet where little fingers can get shocked.

And really - they're better scrapers than the purpose made ones!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
2/20/17 8:08 p.m.

You guys don't keep old gift cards? You can cut them to whatever shape you need.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
2/20/17 8:23 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Any tips for getting stuck paper gaskets off somewhat delicate surfaces? I thought soaking in carb cleaner would do it, but no luck.

That brings back bad memories! Actually...evidently it doesn't and I've blocked those memories. Because I don't really remember how I got the last one clean. I think a toothpick was involved. And lots of fingernail action. It sucked as I don't quite recall. Add that to the list of reasons from earlier in the thread that I have half-heartedly sworn myself off of used carburetors.

Dr Ribs Revere
Dr Ribs Revere Reader
2/20/17 8:25 p.m.

old credit cards?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/20/17 8:49 p.m.

I did a scientific test in the R63 thread. The older a switch plate cover is, the harder, and the better scraper it makes. However, new ones are less than $0.50 and work great. As stated, the flexible ones didn't work. You don't have to replace it right away, but the forum gets all upset when you tell stories about your kids shocking themselves, so don't do that.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/17 9:32 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: You don't have to replace it right away, but the forum gets all upset when you tell stories about your kids shocking themselves, so don't do that.

When I was four or five years old, my older sister was cleaning the basement and asked me to unplug the vacuum cleaner for her. I grabbed the cord about six feet from the wall and gave it a good yank. It didn't come out completely and I still remember how the electric shock felt as it entered my right arm and exited through my feet.

That was more than 40 years ago, and I have never carelessly unplugged a cord again. Not even once.

Electricity is a very effective teacher.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/20/17 9:52 p.m.

C'mon, everyone knows an angle grinder is the best tool for getting old gaskets off.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
2/20/17 11:06 p.m.

Rub some lip balm on the new gaskets, and they come apart easier when you need to re-jet.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
2/21/17 12:53 a.m.

Serves you right for using a Holley.

Throw that junk away before it starts an engine fire and put a proper Quadrajet on that GM engine.

The throttle arm IS swedged onto the shaft.

Take the linkage off the other side, grind the tips off the throttle plate screws with a dremel (they'll be staked in place so they can't back out) and unscrew the screws. When you put them back, use loctite.

Honestly though, unless the throttle shaft bore is worn out, I wouldn't bother taking the throttle shaft out.

Getting the plates back in so they don't bind can be a bugger if you've never done it before.

Make sure you take the accelerator pump cam off before soaking in cleaner and don't soak the power valve. They'll both be well and truly f-ed if you do.

petegossett
2/21/17 6:16 a.m.

I actually have an old metal switch plate around here... I have a ton of leftover outlet boxes, so if nothing else I might be able to hack one of those up, but I think there might be an older plastic switch plate or two around. I might need to cut one up anyway to get into the crevices.

I was actually searching for an Edelbrock, but between Craigslist & GTXVette I ended up with a pair of Challenge-friendly Holleys.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
2/21/17 6:52 a.m.

Get a crock pot / slow cooker, fill it with coolant (antifreeze). Give stuff like that a nice long warm soak. Harmless to metal, but some plastic stuff like carb floats might not survive. After a long soak, one of those green scotch bright scrub pads. The hard plastic scraper is also handy. I have bought some old carb's... Normally you don't remove the throttle shafts, unless you happen to somehow ruin the throttle plates and / or the throttle shaft.

sixt9stang
sixt9stang New Reader
2/21/17 9:51 a.m.
TED_fiestaHP wrote: Get a crock pot / slow cooker, fill it with coolant (antifreeze). Give stuff like that a nice long warm soak. Harmless to metal, but some plastic stuff like carb floats might not survive. After a long soak, one of those green scotch bright scrub pads. The hard plastic scraper is also handy. I have bought some old carb's... Normally you don't remove the throttle shafts, unless you happen to somehow ruin the throttle plates and / or the throttle shaft.

Hmm. Don't know if the wife would approve of this but I might have to give it a try on the next project.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
2/21/17 10:12 a.m.

I have the original carb from my 84 chevy pickup you can have - just pay shipping.

Email me at username at yahoo!

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/21/17 10:32 a.m.
sixt9stang wrote:
TED_fiestaHP wrote: Get a crock pot / slow cooker, fill it with coolant (antifreeze). Give stuff like that a nice long warm soak. Harmless to metal, but some plastic stuff like carb floats might not survive. After a long soak, one of those green scotch bright scrub pads. The hard plastic scraper is also handy. I have bought some old carb's... Normally you don't remove the throttle shafts, unless you happen to somehow ruin the throttle plates and / or the throttle shaft.
Hmm. Don't know if the wife would approve of this but I might have to give it a try on the next project.

This is why thrift stores exist, for us car guys. I bet there's a half dozen crock pots for $10/ea in area thrift stores near you.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
2/21/17 10:36 a.m.

How get a crock pot; 2 ways... One go to the store and buy one for the shop, not the creative method. Second method, tell the wifey that everything that comes out of that thing looks and tastes the same, even the carats. If you complain enough, she will stop using it and soon donate it to the shop. I used method 2, carats that look and taste like beef, not good.

petegossett
2/21/17 10:38 a.m.

Next question: rummaging through the junk pile I found some steel tubing, I presume general plumbing pieces. Can these be used for fuel lines?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/21/17 11:18 a.m.

I also have this quadrajet of some sort that you can have. Came in a box of carbs from an attic. If anyone knows where to search on the carb for specific markings I'd be glad to figure out what it is and if it's useful.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
2/21/17 2:05 p.m.

That looks like an older Carter And they Never did make ID'ing one easy, Pete I was thinking of just Fixing that one before I sent it and with those Pics Now I wish I had, Sorry, Kinda feel like I am 0 for 2 Up in Here, If it's too bad for you I'll take it back, or send what ever you want to replace.... cleaned... as I have several. Was going to send a Quick Fuel 780 but It's too big and I don't think they would belive it was Free, I took it off a burned Cobra 427 And got to salvage a bunch of stuff Including the Frame. PS Please don't use Plumbing tubing I have 1 New Correct line for the Carb and If you can't find one I will send this one.

petegossett
2/21/17 5:17 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette:

No worries! I'm still planning on using this one, and if needed I'll take parts from the other one I picked up. I'm just trying to take my time & make sure I do it correctly, so it'll fire up once I get everything together and back in the car.

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 89

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MpCNQcOTA6SmGLGT3kMQWwFq7J1JhuEq6duVzg6wCIqz2num9zGQKVrXin1JvYOc