1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/17 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I can't airbrush, but otherwise what I have in mind would certainly make that list. 

Pete Gossett
11/3/17 6:21 p.m.

As the car was setup for the Challenge, I had no way to check the coolant level, since the upper radiator hose was about 8" above the cap. I filled it initially by installing a coupler at the topmost point of the hose, filling each side relatively full, then hooking them together as quickly as possible. It took a couple tries...

Well no more!

For about $25 from Jegs this coupler with a built in bleeder valve allowed me to top it off fully. Fortunately it wasn't low at all. 

Unfortunately I've been seeing the inside of the windshield fog up lately & caught the smell of coolant. Google confirmed my worst fears - the heater core - which is apparently a fate worse than death on these cars. 

I think for now I'll bypass it... 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
11/3/17 7:18 p.m.

I have two if you want but they are as old as yourssad

Pete Gossett
11/3/17 7:25 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

I appreciate the offer, but if/when I ever get around to it I'll spend money for a high-quality new one. I definitely don't want to do it twice!

Pete Gossett
11/5/17 11:24 a.m.

I couldn't remember the mileage on the Vette when I brought it home, but checking back on my fist post I'd stated it was 63,800. I'm sure that was rounded, but I don't remember whether it was rounded up or down. I just turned 64,100 on it today, so I guess I've driven it more than I realized.

Unfortunately it almost left me stranded today. I drove to the parts store for a 5/8" -> 3/4" hose coupler so I can bypass the heater core, then went to the super walmart near the beach. I don't usually lock the car, but I did today since their tends to be vagrants & homeless people around this area. Unfortunately when I got back to the car it wouldn't crank at all. I still had full power, and it ran the windows/lights/fan fine, so I knew the battery wasn't dead. I checked the starter cables as best I could, but they felt tight, so I called for a tow. As I was sitting there, I had a hunch it might be related to the factory security system, even though the "Security" light on the dash was off. After about a dozen times locking/unlocking the doors, both with the buttons & key, it finally started right up and ran fine.

I think I may eventually disable the electric lock solenoids, since they really aren't much use without a keyless remote. Then I won't have to worry about it again.

Pete Gossett
11/5/17 11:51 a.m.

Oh, and I just power-washed the front crossmember, so hopefully now I can determine whether unplugging the cat cured my oil spewage.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/5/17 12:21 p.m.

Had a similar problem when I had my Vette.   Disabled the locks too.  The damn security system, I believe would kill my battery, if it sat too long.  Ended up putting a battery disconnect on it.

Dirtydog
11/5/17 12:24 p.m.

I really hope you got it solved. 

Pete Gossett
11/5/17 2:26 p.m.

In reply to Dirtydog :

I also have a battery drain that's tied to one of the interior circuits, but I've just been leaving it on a tender.

I should research removing/disabling the factory alarm. The horns are disconnected anyway, because the horn button doesn't work & they were stuck on, so other than being a pain in my ass it's useless for security. Besides, I'm pretty sure the exhaust is louder than the horn at this point. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/5/17 4:42 p.m.

My 911 (from a similar time period of thinking) had a bad door switch on the drivers door. This convinced the car that the driver never got out and that kept something in the computer awake waiting for you to get out after shutting off the car. Not sure what the Corvette is looking for, but door electronics could be involved in the drain. 

Pete Gossett
11/5/17 5:05 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

The Security light has seemed to function completely randomly - however never when it's been illuminated/flashing has the car not cranked. Today, with the light off, it doesn't crank. Thanks GM...

Dirtydog
11/5/17 5:20 p.m.

Well I guess GM figured, if you can't start it (Dead battery) you can't steal it.  Maybe that's one reason these early C4's, mine in particular, had such low mileage.

Dirtydog
11/5/17 5:22 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I know now what my Corvette was looking for.  For me to buy a Volvo.

Pete Gossett
11/5/17 6:39 p.m.
Dirtydog said:

Well I guess GM figured, if you can't start it (Dead battery) you can't steal it.  Maybe that's one reason these early C4's, mine in particular, had such low mileage.

I actually read one common theft tactic was to jab a screwdriver through the gills on the driver's side to puncture the battery case & disable the alarm. I presume that was for stereo theft, but I suppose they could have carried a spare battery to jump-start it after they'd disabled the alarm?

Dirtydog
11/5/17 6:50 p.m.

I guess if they could get the hood open, which occasionally caused some head pounding for me.   Hence the pulls by the wipers, I put on.  Laughable to think someone would want the stock radio anyway, the joke would be on them.

Dirtydog
11/5/17 6:56 p.m.

Pete.  If you ever run into the problem of the hood not releasing, Use a thin rod with a hook end about 3 feet or so long and fish around to get the latches to release.  Or you can buy Emergency hood releases from e-bay or Corvette central, et al.

Pete Gossett
11/5/17 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Dirtydog :

I made my own out of some scrap wire left in the shed by the PO of our house. Fortunately I've not needed to use them yet, but my hood cables look like crap so I think it's just a matter of time. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
11/5/17 9:26 p.m.

Ah back in the days before people mostly stole late '90s Accords and early 2000s minivans.

Pete Gossett
11/8/17 9:25 a.m.

I spent a 1/2 hour in the garage this morning swapping back in the new alternator. I'd reinstalled the original one before the Challenge to shave our budget. It works, but squeaks a bit & the regulator is going out. I'll keep it around just in case the car makes it back to Gainesville next year though. 

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
11/8/17 10:11 a.m.

Re. hood cables:

Dorman makes a replacement set. I put them on my 84. Not such a difficult job, but the cables seem to be slightly short on both sides so the hood never really latches properly... external ones are probably a better idea.

Re. security system: 

My security light flashes all the time. Its never refused to crank over but my battery does go dead if left for more than a week or so. I'll have to look into that.

Pete Gossett
11/10/17 5:52 p.m.

I finally had time to bypass the heater core tonight. These are the inlet & outlet lines. 

It was pretty straightforward, though access to the bottom hose is minimal. I needed a 5/8" to 3/4" adapter also. 

All done & time for a test drive!

It was a beautiful sunset, so I stopped for a couple glamour shots. 

There were no leaks when I got home, and still no sign of the front seal leak returning - although I really won't know 100% on that until I take it to another event. 

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
11/10/17 7:25 p.m.

Looking good. With your post-Challenge fixes the next event stands to be something of a revelation in terms of the car’s capabilities relative to its prior outings. 

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
11/10/17 9:03 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

I was never a fan of those wheels. But, I've never seen them on a C4. My opinion is changed. They look great on a C4! cool 

Pete Gossett
11/11/17 5:30 a.m.

In reply to RealMiniParker :

Thanks! I actually like the yellow wheels better(they really have grown on me), but these Nittos are definitely faster tires than the Rikens. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
11/11/17 7:29 a.m.

Sunset by the Ocean Is always at the Top Of My List,  Very Nice.  I was a Beautiful Day here in the Mountains with all the Trees I Full Color. But no Pics.

1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L9D1WmrwclMTYW3pEoliGEn3vjH8fBgCdIvpmg4EV8M3cSltNWPMgLoxBqh7koco