1 ... 3 4 5
sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/5/15 10:54 a.m.

Wow, that looks really nice! I don't think my Max will have as much bling.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage New Reader
3/5/15 11:49 a.m.
BeardedJag wrote: I remember seeing a build thread someone did on a 2000-ish Impala that did a getrag swap in it and is pretty much the same thing. EDIT: It was a Grand Prix

I'd never seen that build before but that's a W-body rather than an H-body. He looks like he's using early w-body stuff which was available with a factory 5 speed. I don't know how much of that will translate across platforms.

To date in the H-body community there are two "in progress" HHR 6 speed swaps going right now, but neither is complete yet. Nobody has done a 5-speed yet. Idealy I'd like to use the Izuzu because the ratios are better, but the transmission isn't as strong as the getrag.

BeardedJag
BeardedJag Reader
3/5/15 12:47 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage:

Ohhhh, yea I got you. They do share the same motor and trans though so it should be fairly similar. Unless I am missin something. I guess I didnt realize that the Bonne' was a H-body too for some reason.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/8/15 8:59 p.m.

What are your suspension plans for the car? What's available? How about weight savings? Gotta study up on my competition...

AClockworkGarage
3/9/15 11:50 p.m.

In reply to sethmeister4:

Suspension plans are still up in the air right now. The '94 parts car will be donating sway bars, stiffer springs and like-new air shocks for the rear, that'll help with the autocross. We'll also be adding bags inside the rear springs to firm them up some more.

weight savings... everything unnessesary is already gone. Car started life at 3400-ish, we're aiming for 3 or less.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/10/15 12:35 a.m.

Nice. My Max started at 3,000, I'd like to get it down to 2,800 or so for the Challenge. It will be my DD though, so I won't be going as crazy as you might be. . Keep it up, I'm enjoying your thread a lot!

AClockworkGarage
3/15/15 12:28 p.m.

The weight reduction goes beyond simply removing things. We'll be replacing as many components as we can with lighter alternatives.

For example the Buicks got fiberglass bumper supports while the Pontiacs had steel. So we'll be swapping them from my daily driver to the race car.

We will also be swapping a full front clip from a '94 Bonneville as they had polymer fenders instead of steel.

If I can find some cheap enough we will be replacing side and rear glass with lexan or a similar poly-carbonate. Weight is the real enemy here.

beans
beans Dork
3/15/15 12:52 p.m.

Didn't the later versions of those have an aluminum front subframe? I'm sure that'd save some weight.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/15/15 3:01 p.m.

Sounds good. I would love to completely gut mine except for the dash, but as it will be a DD I will leave windows and other amenities.

Sounds like you have lots of weight saving alternatives! I'm excited to see the final product in person in October!

AClockworkGarage
3/15/15 3:37 p.m.

In reply to beans: No. Those are the 2000+ which are based on the G-body. This car is the '92-'99 platform which is an H-body. It won't interchange.

But good for you for knowing stuff.

AClockworkGarage
3/15/15 3:44 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Sounds good... I'm excited to see the final product in person in October!

Me too. Let's hope we can get it done by then. The big challenge for us is budget. Sooooo if you know anybody that needs a clock for their garage or workshop... wink wink nudge nudge link in the signature...

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
5/7/15 7:22 a.m.

So here's the update.

I'm moving to Washington state at the end of this month. As a result of this I will not be competing in this years $2015 challenge.

I have been bought out of this project by my crew chief who will be transferring the motor into a '95 Bonneville and scrapping this shell...

My current plan once I get settled in is to bring you a build of a budget friendly Rally-x car from the Pacific Northwest.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
5/7/15 12:57 p.m.

Aw man, sorry to hear that! I was looking forward to the competition! Good luck with the move, I'm excited for your next build thread!

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NZCR5xeqOdD4VEOxcA4o2diGPtGQGAYiLW84ru04cS1fZFSSYopqOzl2657B0fou