1 2 3 4 5
2002colossalfailure
2002colossalfailure New Reader
10/2/15 5:53 a.m.

Amen brother.

mhurst96
mhurst96
10/2/15 11:54 a.m.

Saw your post on Neons.org. I am a 20 year Neon owner, also from Michigan (Jackson) and am also aware of that TSB for brake lines. I have to ask, where did you source a set of pre-bent lines? This has always been a point of contention because not many dealerships have them and when you can find them on rust free western cars, its not easy to ship them.

2002colossalfailure
10/2/15 3:30 p.m.

I was looking for a Haynes manual on CL and bought one from a guy who lives over in Burtchville (on Lake Huron). We emailed back and forth quite a bit and I learned he had a pile of 1gen neon parts in his basement for a car he recently sold. I drove over and purchased the set of rear pre-bent lines he had plus a complete timing belt/water pump/tensioner kit including a harmonic balancer puller, idlers (2), cam gear locking tool, seals and finally he also threw in a couple of caliper rebuild kits. It was a trick to get the lines to fit in my car but we found a way. He's still got a lot of stuff and I can give you his contact information if you want it but I think I snagged all the real goodies.

2002colossalfailure
10/4/15 4:57 p.m.

Got the R/T buttoned up and off the jacks. Test drive went fine although I think I still have a few bubbles in the brake lines. I'm going to take a break this week and work on my bicycles instead. I've got a Trek 7.5 that really needs some attention and my CAAD10 bottom bracket (I hate BB30) also needs some love.

2002colossalfailure
10/9/15 8:58 p.m.

Since I'm signed up for a track day at Gingerman Sunday I spent some time tonight replacing a connector I had patched with aluminum foil when I discovered it was disintegrating. Not a difficult job thankfully. I soldered the replacement on, plugged it in... ..and the car started right up.

2002colossalfailure
10/10/15 4:46 p.m.

Pulled a clutch cable for the R/T over at LKQ today, plus some spare fuses and lug nuts. I had both neons in the garage today so I took a family portrait. I'm very nervous about the track day tomorrow. First because I might blow out a system on the car (brakes, trans, engine, whatever) and second because I'm not a skilled driver. Luckily I'm bringing a coach who is a local PCA hotshoe.

2002colossalfailure
10/12/15 8:46 p.m.

Gingerman track day was a ton of fun. I had a great instructor and although my driving left a lot to be desired, he was patient and by the end I was hitting maybe half of the corners correctly.

After my best session

Setting up for turn one

I did loop the car once, but no harm done. I was happy it held together for almost 90 total minutes of ham-handed thrashing. I pulled the wheels off tonight and see I have a minor fluid leak out of the end-plate of the trans, but I'm not going to dig into it unless it leaves a puddle on the floor. The plan now is as much cleaning as time allows before leaving for the challenge.

2002colossalfailure
10/18/15 3:33 p.m.

When things seem to be going right, you know disaster is looming. With a track day on the car and all systems go optimism reigned and the plan was to pack Tuesday and hit the road on Wednesday. Friday morning was a bit chilly so instead of riding my bike to work I hopped in the car. The first time I applied the brakes the pedal felt soft and the next time it went straight to the floor. I pulled into a parking lot and took a look underneath finding the left rear line had burst forward of the rear wheel just like the R/T. I took a personal day and called my mechanic who quoted me $250 for the repair. That wasn't possible given my remaining budget so it was off to LKQ where I found a Gen2 with a good left rear line. The bend wasn't exactly the same, but after removing it I test fit it to a stripped Gen1 and up to the about mid-car it looked OK. I brought it home, cut the old line out rear of the front right wheel and installed the new piece. Since I didn't have the tools to flare the lines and make a good splice the car went to my mechanic who spliced the line and bled the system for $114. Afterwards I kicked myself for not removing the entire line from the donor since I probably could have made it fit and saved the hundred. Lessons learned.

There was an upside though. While searching the yard I found a well picked over Gen2 which still had it's very nice leather-wrapped wheel. I inquired about the cost and with airbag it's a $60 buy, but a non-airbag wheel is a budget friendly $13. I pulled the wheel and removed the airbag, keeping the bracket which holds the cover. The staff said they should have explained to me the cost difference applied to a non-airbag steering wheel but I challenged them to find any steering wheel in their yard which didn't have an airbag. In the end they honored the $13 price and today my tired, torn and narrow stock wheel... was replaced with this beauty.

Not a really performance enhancer, but I like the feel and look of it better. I was hoping to keep the total cost under $1800 but I'm a shade over $1900 now and hoping I won't be spending any more.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/18/15 5:54 p.m.

Correct me if I am wrong but fixing that brake line shouldn't be a budget hit. You bought the car with a functioning brake line. You didn't get it cheaper because the brakes were inoperative, and its a safety item.

2002colossalfailure
10/19/15 5:47 a.m.

I've asked Rick a number of questions along this line and the answer is always the same, it's a budget hit. Regardless, I'm still under the cap and will be one of three neons in the field this year, if the car makes it down.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
10/19/15 8:16 a.m.

You got this! I think you're ahead of me, and I plan to leave VA Beach Thursday morning. See ya there!

2002colossalfailure
10/20/15 9:47 a.m.

OK, I just confirmed I've got a head gasket leak. I probably always had one but now that I know about it I'm unsure how to proceed. It's not contaminating the oil, it seems to be going out the exhaust. Any suggestions at this late date?

java230
java230 Reader
10/20/15 9:52 a.m.
2002colossalfailure wrote: OK, I just confirmed I've got a head gasket leak. I probably always had one but now that I know about it I'm unsure how to proceed. It's not contaminating the oil, it seems to be going out the exhaust. Any suggestions at this late date?

Top off the coolant and drive it like you stole it! (or try some HG repair in a bottle?)

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/20/15 9:55 a.m.
2002colossalfailure wrote: OK, I just confirmed I've got a head gasket leak. I probably always had one but now that I know about it I'm unsure how to proceed. It's not contaminating the oil, it seems to be going out the exhaust. Any suggestions at this late date?

Drive down, and stop in Greenville for the night. Take a nap and we'll fix you right up. Just bring the parts and I'll handle it.

2002colossalfailure
2002colossalfailure Reader
10/20/15 10:18 a.m.

Greenville Michigan?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/20/15 10:25 a.m.

Tuna is in Greenville sc.

And may be the most fantastic person on the planet.

I've had neons dump in oil and exhaust. Personally I would do head gasket in a can, and either take tuna up on his offer, or take the chance.

2002colossalfailure
2002colossalfailure Reader
10/20/15 10:32 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Can you send me a contact number and address?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/20/15 10:35 a.m.
2002colossalfailure wrote: In reply to tuna55: Can you send me a contact number and address?

PM me for phone/address, or check the GRM help map thing.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z7nxsXUSFVME.klC0yqxNGbcM

It's a long way from Michigan, but if it can make it this far, I can get you going overnight.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/20/15 10:41 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Tuna is in Greenville sc. And may be the most fantastic person on the planet.

I appreciate this, but as of today, I have done exactly zero for you. I tried, though. You guys have helped me in tons of actual tangible ways.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/20/15 10:47 a.m.

Thursday night in the parking lot if tuna doesn't work out there will be lots of idle hands and I suspect lots of tools...

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
10/20/15 11:17 a.m.

I'm in greenville as well. Tuna needs a second hand to mess things up lmk.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/20/15 11:37 a.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: I'm in greenville as well. Tuna needs a second hand to mess things up lmk.

Sounds like he's coming by Wednesday night. I get out of church around 8:30. If Tunawife puts them to bed for me, I'll start then. I may need another jackstand, two are under Tunatruck and one of my cheapies broke, leaving me with one. Not sure if we need more.

But yes, you're more than welcome to swing by and pile on, well assuming the car's owner is cool with you wrenching on it too.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/20/15 12:14 p.m.

Look up the bolt trick for cam timing on the dohc. Oly way I ever got it right the first time.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/20/15 12:18 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Look up the bolt trick for cam timing on the dohc. Oly way I ever got it right the first time.

Do tell!

I did the DOHC Cruiser and got it wrong once. Not sure if the engine is the same though.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/20/15 12:38 p.m.

Will try to when I'm not posting from cell phone.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DGEvS59SwjJ3mIBMgULDwVmD3dm0IRukmOBJqtwfEIz1PIu0rcJYRzL2xXqTrTUn