1 2 3 4 ... 52
Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/9/18 9:46 a.m.

Did some maintance on the Tdi, finished pulling all the EGR stuff of of it,  and did rear brakes. 

Went to pull out of the driveway and the berkeleying coil spring broke welcome to my life. New one ordered and on the way. Oh the joys. 

Professor_Brap
4/12/18 9:27 a.m.

Update: 
Drove the Iris neon and it got a case of the sits and has a locked brake caliper, hopefully doing that this week. 

Waiting on my spring for the TDI along with my hatch harness. I have been sent 2 used ones when I order new. 

Black RT is getting right side CV axle and control arm this weekend hopefully.  

Somedents is just setting and waiting. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
4/12/18 9:39 a.m.

You need a set of original hubcaps for the iris neon...

Even though the early ones are 4x100

Professor_Brap
4/12/18 9:52 a.m.
pimpm3 said:

You need a set of original hubcaps for the iris neon...

Even though the early ones are 4x100

My car is a 4x100 car, I am on the hunt for some cheap bubble caps, but my car does have the correct hubcaps on it for the year and package. 

I have a set of L body "pizza" wheels that need tires that I plan on putting on it. 

Professor_Brap
4/16/18 10:47 a.m.

STILL waiting on springs for TDI and a free moment to do hatch harness. 

The black RT got its CV axle and both control arms. 

Also got wheels for the purple neon this weekend..... and this is how that went. 

Girlfriend got tagged in this post on a L body page and tagged me because cool old wheels. 

We found out what swap meet it was and decided we would get there when it opened Sunday. We got there at 8:30am Sunday and it was dumping rain as it has been all weekend and it was cold. We register in the building and  there was 3 venders in there...... One was a guy who sold bolts and hardware for pre 1975 Mopars, the 2nd guy had magazines and pins (we came home with 3 pins), and the last guy had mostly pre 1950 parts. So we walk around and buy some pins and check out what everyone has and some guy goes "yall know there is a "nother building right?" So we head over to that one and there the wheels were! EXCITEMENT!!! I made a offer on the wheels and he accepted. 

They goat loaded into the car and we made another trip back in to buy some Direct Connection catalogs from the 80s and some NOS Mopar Performance sticker another guy had. 

We made the trip back home discussing what tires these wheels needed. 

JeremyJ
JeremyJ New Reader
4/17/18 9:33 a.m.

Christ, those are tiny. 

Professor_Brap
4/17/18 9:35 a.m.

Struts showed up last night. Only took 18 days to get them :/ so that will need done this week. It only needed 1 coil springs and strut bushing and bearings, but I decided to to quick struts because the struts have 220K on them and I bet they are getting worn out. 

Also bonus pic of the golf and my old Miata before I sold it. 

Professor_Brap
4/17/18 9:37 a.m.

Bonus picture of the Iris neon right after the first test drive. we just got done rebuilding the motor. 

Professor_Brap
4/19/18 9:34 a.m.

Started out my morning strong and in the snow. 
Driver side quick strut was super easy, less than 45min from jacking it up to swapping it out to back on the ground. 

The passenger side took some cussing. Had to compress the spring to get the berkeleying thing in there. 

Made the front end of the ol girl set pretty high, guess the springs were pretty worn. Probably should look at doing the same for the rear. 

It rides much better and that seemed to help some with my traction issues some. I really dont wanna buy real tires yet haha. Overall took me about 2 hours from start to finish. 

Professor_Brap
4/20/18 1:54 p.m.

some automotive fatalitys happened today. 

Was pulling onto the freeway and came into boost and it was making 25lbs or so and it just dies.......
I coast off to the side of the road and start trying to figure out what happend. It cranks over, has fuel at the filter and seems to want to fire. Pull out the laptop and hook it up to vagcom and start checking to see if injectors are firing and my fuel pressure and found that the ASV (anti shutter valve) was not responding. So I take a look and pull off the cold side intercooler pipe and found it was shut...... tried to pry it open and it was wedged shut......  so we took a tow truck ride to work after waiting 2:45min for the truck to show up.... whoop whoop 

On lunch I fixed my suck caliper on the iris car. 

Professor_Brap
4/24/18 10:10 a.m.

Drove the bosses 350Z track car home to put some reliability miles on it before our mid Ohio outing this weekend. 

I think if he wants to sell it this fall Im going to buy it from him.... 

Also put my drug rug in the back seat I got from Mexico this January. 

Professor_Brap
4/25/18 9:26 a.m.

Its been a rush getting 3 cars ready for the track weekend so not much really happinging. Tires for the new wheels will be here friday, and the speakers and mirrors for both 2nd gens should be here early next week. 

Professor_Brap
4/26/18 10:36 a.m.

Unboxing wheels and getting them home so I can mount some tires up next week, and a surprise in one of the boxes. 

Bonus pictures of the iris since i drove it in today because it was nice out. 

Professor_Brap
5/3/18 9:29 a.m.

Professor_Brap
5/7/18 8:06 a.m.

Started doing speakers in the Iris Neon.... Not going well at all. 
pulled the old speakers out, and they barely stuck to the hood of the Somedents. 

New ones are in.

berkeley, I got the wrong adaptor. 

It is to small, I found the right ones on Amazon so I ordered some up, didn't bother tearing the doors apart to just find the same thing. 

EDIT: Got this in the mail this weekend! 

Professor_Brap
5/8/18 8:48 a.m.

Picked up the right adaptors at the local audio shop, car sounds like a whole new car inside!

Also replaced my broken mirror on the R/T this morning. 

Professor_Brap
5/8/18 7:03 p.m.

Some evening fun stuff.

Adjusted the shifter cables. 

Replaced the annual thermostat. 

Replaced the blown out control arm on the passenger side also. 

also found out its coming due for brakes, so time to make me a Rockauto order :)

Professor_Brap
5/11/18 9:51 a.m.

Lets keep the speaker theme alive. I did the door speakers shortly after buying it and the dash speakers didnt work and had a 6x9 die this winter so I guess its time. 

Another set of Harmony speakers installed. 

New and old dash speakers. 

JeremyJ
JeremyJ New Reader
5/11/18 9:55 a.m.

What control arm did you use? I used the Moog Problem Solver control arms and the washer on the vertical bushing would deform about 50 ft lbs before it reached factory specs. 

Professor_Brap
5/11/18 9:57 a.m.
JeremyJ said:

What control arm did you use? I used the Moog Problem Solver control arms and the washer on the vertical bushing would deform about 50 ft lbs before it reached factory specs

Detroit Axle. Mine made it to full torque spec with no issue. 

Professor_Brap
5/15/18 8:45 a.m.

Friday evening driving to Mrs.Braps grandmas to help with the electric in their new house the rear brakes started to make some noise so I guess its time. Got 75K out of a rear set of brakes with quite abit of aggressive driving and lots of towing. 

I had to dig into my stash Monday evening when I got home and dug out some new brembo pads and turned rotors. Need to turn the ones that came off for spares. 

They were all about like this one, but one had a chunk missing and that is a touch worrisome (I think thats the one that was noisey). 

New pads $8 Rock Auto special. 

I started to run out of time so no more pictures sadly. I did manage to do the rear brakes, and grease all the zerk fittings before having to move it. 

Picture from Monday evening, best daily beater ever. 

Professor_Brap
5/16/18 8:52 a.m.

Iris car had a leaky seal at the ac compressor so that needs fixed, and got me thinking about adding ac back into the black RT 

Professor_Brap
5/21/18 9:01 a.m.

Well Friday I decide to do some maintance on the RT, timing belt, water pump, and fixed the ac and fixed my yearly fender liner. 

The start

Tore down 

almost done. 

Done with it and put in ac for $130 

Test drive to pick up the acr from being detailed. 

Professor_Brap
5/25/18 8:02 a.m.

The iris neon lost its two lowest fan setting so I decided that it most likely was the blower resistor so I ordered one with my Rock Auto order and replaced it when it came in..... It was pretty rotten. It did fix my issue tho! 

Also did my monthly oil change on the black neon.... Not to bad as always. also did a trans service while I was there. 

Professor_Brap
6/1/18 2:08 p.m.

Waxed the purple car today and fixed my Cruise Control problem I had.... Had a broken wire to the Cruise module. All fixed now. 

1 2 3 4 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m65Sf6vGWiPOwbArkTCStLjuryJ1qdX2hfEJSgOpJKuj0aornxaSB1mm1fm5ot9k