1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 52
Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/13/18 10:03 a.m.

Fun day this morning and last night. 

Got some keys cut for both cars. I have a weird thing for only having OEM keys. 

Also installed my injector cover, I think its coming back off pretty quick. 

and I drove it around and washed it this morning. 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
12/13/18 10:23 a.m.

Oh! The Glow in the dark Key!

I see a 2.4L in your future...

Professor_Brap
12/13/18 10:28 a.m.
bentwrench said:

Oh! The Glow in the dark Key!

I see a 2.4L in your future...

Already been down the 2.4L route, I had a 2.4 in my red sedan for a while. I put the purple car together to be OEM+ as possible. 

Professor_Brap
12/14/18 2:43 p.m.

Scored me a new air hammer at a estate auction today. 
$5

Professor_Brap
12/17/18 3:54 p.m.

This weekend we installed a wall heater, and put chains and the plow on my tractor, updated the battery charger, and fixed the shower stall. 

Id say the tractor has some heft to it. 

Also got my broofield display stand in the mail.... got 2 more on the way... whops. 

Professor_Brap
12/20/18 9:31 a.m.

So been a busy few days on the Neon. 

Been junkyarding 2 morning in a row and got a good haul both days. 
 55k PT GT motor, it was out of a vert, so pulled the front sway bar, plus another off of one that had motor pulled 
tons of trim bits I wanted

The rt got new rear sway bar bushing and end links, a PT GT vert 26mm front bar with fresh bushing and end links, new coil pack and plug wires, one of my wires ohemed out at 18k it runs really nice. They where magnicore wires to off rock auto. 

Professor_Brap
12/27/18 9:31 a.m.

It has been a wild week. 

Start off we went to the MRS. home town and help some family clean out stuff and burn it and send some lead into it. 

Then we had to go pick up some old hardwood furature from a friend and we met some really wet gravel roads..... 

More to come!  

Professor_Brap
12/28/18 9:51 a.m.

Fast forward to Christmas. 

Got some super cool gifts. 

Shadow phone, some old magazines, and press photos for the neon, along with some other stuff. MRS. Brap seems to know whats up lol. 

Then I got another "Neon" Brookfield stand and my Iris Brookfield came in. 

Then we went to the junkyard and I got a pile of small parts and like 5lbs of nuts and bolts. Also got a new rug for the house and a fire extinguisher.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/28/18 10:14 a.m.

So, assuming that i am able to buy back my 97 acr, its going to need an engine. 

You, being incredibly well versed in grm neon ownership, are just the man to answer my question. 

When i last owned it, it was a mechanically stock 1997 acr with an atx throttle body, stock ecu, stock manifolds, etc.

Currently has a rod hanging out of the block. So, will need a complete engine (i still have an ebay header and ported dohc intake manifold in storage).

I loved the rev happy nature of the stock engine, but always felt like a bit more torque and 20 more horsepower was needed.

Id rather not do a turbo build, or anything crazy. Stock-ish.

Would the 2.4 swap be my answer, or a second gen engine, or....

Im welcome to feedback and hand holding. And parts sourcing.....

Professor_Brap
12/28/18 10:51 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

So, assuming that i am able to buy back my 97 acr, its going to need an engine. 

You, being incredibly well versed in grm neon ownership, are just the man to answer my question. 

When i last owned it, it was a mechanically stock 1997 acr with an atx throttle body, stock ecu, stock manifolds, etc.

Currently has a rod hanging out of the block. So, will need a complete engine (i still have an ebay header and ported dohc intake manifold in storage).

I loved the rev happy nature of the stock engine, but always felt like a bit more torque and 20 more horsepower was needed.

Id rather not do a turbo build, or anything crazy. Stock-ish.

Would the 2.4 swap be my answer, or a second gen engine, or....

Im welcome to feedback and hand holding. And parts sourcing.....

My three favorite setups for back roads and auto x and general driving are MAG/DOHC, mag, and 2.4. 

The mag motor is wonderful how it is, it has a better power band than a factory DOHC, and I think its more lively. 

I like 2.4s, but the oiling issues are not worth the fight along with them needing cams if your going to do it. 

My favorite setup is a 2.0 DOHC bottom end with a Magnum head. It makes quite a bit of tq and makes great power up top. You could also do a normal 2g SOHC head and do like a comp 400 cam and mag valve springs. That with the RT/ACR intake and exhaust manifold will make for a fun toy. 
I also got some good small tips and trick to make a 1g pretty good. 

If it was my car I would do a DOHC/Mag car with some small things. Also no one like to loose to a single jingle. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/28/18 11:02 a.m.

Can you school me on the dohc/mg setup? Ive been out of neons for damn near a decade, and never got into the engine side of it. 

Professor_Brap
12/28/18 11:16 a.m.

So the DOHC/Mag is a DOHC 2.0 bottom end. with a magnum head, intake manifold and exhaust manifold (there are very few exhaust manifolds that are better). Only weird thing you need to do to make it work is take a whiz wheel to the combustion chamber on the head so it doesn't touch the piston.

It bolts on, you need either a SOHC motor mount or modify the DOHC. 

If you run a Magnum intake manifold you either need a window switch to control the butterflies in the manifold or wired to a switch or if you want to be really fancy a AEM FIC. 

You can use a SOHC head with a cam or just stock, but mag heads are usually cheap. 

The DOHC pistons are just poor man high comps .

Dusterbd13-michael
12/28/18 11:22 a.m.

Got it. Thanks!

Can you elaborate on the oiling issues with the 2.4? Hadn't heard of that 

Professor_Brap
12/28/18 11:30 a.m.

They suck the pan dry, its a pretty easy fix, you can remove the oil restrictor in the block or enlarge it, they also could use the pressure relief spring shortened. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/28/18 12:43 p.m.

Thank you sir! Lots of stuff to think about here. 

Professor_Brap
12/28/18 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

If you want any help finding stuff/want to bounce ideas off of me just let me know. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/28/18 1:00 p.m.

Will do! 

Hopefully, the deal goes through on the one that got away for me. I've missed that car since the day i sold it....

Professor_Brap
1/2/19 3:59 p.m.

Did a ton of house work the last 4 days, got some parts in the mail ill be installing for a little while, and bought some more today. 

Professor_Brap
1/3/19 10:31 a.m.

Finished mounting up the hitch, got the old muffler removed (some dick tack welded it instead of a clamp)

Bonus picture of one of my favorite photos of this car. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/6/19 10:21 a.m.

You dont happen to have good detailed pictures of the core support and crash bar for a first gen, do you? Im looking into hooking up a tow bar for getting the 1st gens home. One is in virginia beach, other is almost at the outer banks. And u haul doesnt like my truck for renting a tow dolly. 

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter None
1/6/19 1:19 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

Also got some SD Pizza wheels out of a shed this weekend..... I got bad ideas. 

Quick hose off and im really thinking about polishing these and these being the DD wheels for iris car. 

Glad to see the love for the old Neons.

I had a 1994 Neon Highline, mine was also the metallic iris color. SOHC motor, auto trans.

I also put these same wheels on mine, in 2001. I mounted a set of Pirelli P6000 SV tires to mine.

If I'm remembering correctly, those are the 'swiss cheese' wheels, the 'pizza' wheels are the kind where the holes are uniform in size and layout.

(yes, I was impressed enough by your car to create a login and comment on it.)

Professor_Brap
1/6/19 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I do, I will get it sent over Monday to you. 

Professor_Brap
1/6/19 10:17 p.m.
RandolphCarter said:
Professor_Brap said:

Also got some SD Pizza wheels out of a shed this weekend..... I got bad ideas. 

Quick hose off and im really thinking about polishing these and these being the DD wheels for iris car. 

Glad to see the love for the old Neons.

I had a 1994 Neon Highline, mine was also the metallic iris color. SOHC motor, auto trans.

I also put these same wheels on mine, in 2001. I mounted a set of Pirelli P6000 SV tires to mine.

If I'm remembering correctly, those are the 'swiss cheese' wheels, the 'pizza' wheels are the kind where the holes are uniform in size and layout.

(yes, I was impressed enough by your car to create a login and comment on it.)

You are correct, me and the lady have most 80s 90s FWD Chrysler factory wheels and they become a blur in my head sometimes. 

I thank you for the kind words, there are some more in depth writeups for the car on the N.org. 

Professor_Brap
1/7/19 2:59 p.m.

Found this singular tire in a building we where cleaning out, no dry rot, rubber is pretty soft, from the 70s still has stickers on it. I think it is for a beetle. 

Had to pull my bumper cover... Not to happy about that, but was the easiest option. 

The carriage bolt and washer only sets in the crash bar one way, and I could not for the life of me get it to set in there correct. Took the 5 min to pull the bumper and shove my meat fist in there to put them in right and we where good to go. 

Professor_Brap
1/8/19 10:46 a.m.

Im terrible at not buying good deal on car parts...... 
$60 shipped on a PT Maddog sts with threaded rod and a bounus of a couple cool shift knobs, and new moog tierod ends..... 

Got the bumper back on the iris car with the help of like a dozen kids indecision.... and they also helped put the muffler on.... 

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KsrvJT7F6fO2LInXnLXUD35rttX5S5QhHYVHPPaqNSGnKUMuYzo8bZWixVpB0VYh