1 2 3 4 ... 7
JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/10/12 3:10 p.m.

This thread should have been named bad horse

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
8/10/12 6:49 p.m.

I'll get to my suspension when I can. Right now I'm in the middle of an insurance issue which I'll detail in my build topic.

As for the Watt's link, I've heard the Fays2 is really good (Sam Strano prefers it over the Steeda) but can cause clearance issues with some rear sway bars. I know MotoIQ likes to pimp Whiteline products, and Whiteline is developing one of their own for the S197. And since you're on a site with a lot of suspension geeks, here's another new product I found interesting: An anti-bumpsteer kit.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=514_3_13&products_id=1433&zenid=9fa0b1bee6b6e41ff978cee1ca88fb8f

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
8/17/12 8:07 a.m.

I've slightly changed my plans with this car. Details will be forthcoming.

As a result, I am selling a Fays2 Watts Link that has never been installed. PM me if interested.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
8/18/12 4:24 p.m.

They see me autocrossin, they hatin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7MUlHhFsHI

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
8/18/12 7:21 p.m.

I likey! Nice car.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
8/20/12 7:06 a.m.

The Fays2 Watts Linkage I had sitting in a box in my garage has been sold to RexSeven.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/20/12 8:50 p.m.

Nice!

I'm ordering a '13 GT with the Track Pack in the next 1-3 weeks. Just need to decide if I want to get the Recaro's as well.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
8/20/12 9:04 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Nice! I'm ordering a '13 GT with the Track Pack in the next 1-3 weeks. Just need to decide if I want to get the Recaro's as well.

DO EEEETTTTT!!! I have them in my '13 V-6 Performance Pack and I love them! They are very comfortable and the side bolsters do a great job of holding me in place in the twisties. However, try them on for size if you can. A couple of the larger guys in my local Mustang club had a test-sit and found the side bolsters squeezed them too tight.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/20/12 9:18 p.m.

I went by the dealer today to sit in the BOSS they HAD on the showroom floor, apparently it sold on Saturday.

But enough of my OT shenanigans, can't wait to see what he's doing now that he sold you the watts link.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
8/21/12 8:06 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: I went by the dealer today to sit in the BOSS they HAD on the showroom floor, apparently it sold on Saturday. But enough of my OT shenanigans, can't wait to see what he's doing now that he sold you the watts link.

This should be showing up in a week or two, I hope:

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/21/12 8:31 a.m.

Why did you choose the Whitelink link over the others? (I have no preference, just curious)

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
8/21/12 9:26 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Why did you choose the Whitelink link over the others? (I have no preference, just curious)

I want a Watts Link that mounts to the differential instead of using axle clamps.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
8/21/12 5:26 p.m.

What's the advantage of a Watt's link that mounts to the diff cover instead of axle clamps (besides the beefier diff cover)? Wouldn't the lateral forces be transferred to the axle via the diff cover bolts, or is the diff cover designed to stop that?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
8/22/12 2:26 p.m.

The diff cover is beefier to handle those forces.

The main advantage of the diff-mounted Watts link is a reduction in weight versus the axle-clamp one. It also takes up less space.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/22/12 3:01 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: The diff cover is beefier to handle those forces.

Yes, but those forces still have to be transferred through the diff cover bolts to the axle, no?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
8/22/12 4:06 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: The diff cover is beefier to handle those forces.
Yes, but those forces still have to be transferred through the diff cover bolts to the axle, no?

Correct, but the overall axle assembly is more than strong enough to handle it. That's one of the advantages of a stick axle; they're pretty sturdy.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
10/4/12 10:12 a.m.

The following items arrived from Whiteline and will be installed and reviewed in the next couple weeks:

red5_02
red5_02 Reader
10/4/12 4:29 p.m.

Lemme know if you want some help.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
10/5/12 8:17 a.m.
red5_02 wrote: Lemme know if you want some help.

Thanks! Will do!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
10/5/12 9:59 a.m.

Well, I was going to wait for the weekend, but I got bored last night.

This is a very nice strut tower brace. It is actually adjustable for both height and length. It's much more solid than any other strut brace I've used.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/9/12 2:13 p.m.

I don't get all the strut bars that have a bolt in that location.

It seems to me that braces need to be designed like this.

http://www.steeda.com/store/2011-ford-mustang-strut-tower-brace.html

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
10/9/12 2:59 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: I don't get all the strut bars that have a bolt in that location. It seems to me that braces need to be designed like this. http://www.steeda.com/store/2011-ford-mustang-strut-tower-brace.html

That's the bar I had previously. It is not adjustable. It simply slips onto the strut bolts and doesn't really help with structural integrity much. The bolt holes on either end are actually slots, created that way to ensure fit on all cars regardless of vehicle manufacturing tolerances. As a result, the bar is not nearly as stiff as it could be.

The bolts on the Whiteline bar accomplish two things: 1: It allows adjustment of the height of the bar, which allows you to install different intake manifolds or superchargers without having to purchase a new bar. 2. It allows you to adjust the tension of the strut bar, which actually means that it is preventing the towers from moving relative to each other. The Steeda bar does not do that.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/10/12 8:18 a.m.

I get that, I'm just saying the torsional forces seem to act on the axis the bolt would least be able to control.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
10/10/12 4:51 p.m.

I wonder if that will clear the Boss 302 intake manifold, which is a popular upgrade for the GTs. The stock Boss 302 strut tower brace is part of the V-6PP and it has quite a bit of vertical clearance. The V-6 isn't quite as tall, however.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
10/11/12 7:20 a.m.
RexSeven wrote: I wonder if that will clear the Boss 302 intake manifold, which is a popular upgrade for the GTs. The stock Boss 302 strut tower brace is part of the V-6PP and it has quite a bit of vertical clearance. The V-6 isn't quite as tall, however.

Yes, it will clear it. It's designed to clear superchargers and higher intake manifolds. I can actually remove the engine cover without taking the strut bar off first.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UW7715JWalyuOd4EsRBPokXyLjhoe71K5xQN2mzqdVJbhn8D7h5F2oV5tovxOGUt