1 2 3 4
Winston
Winston HalfDork
4/16/13 11:11 a.m.

After seeing the sketches, I thought that this was another "pipe dream" thread -- until you started posting pictures of the work you're doing. Looks like an amazing build-up of my favorite marque!

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/13 1:11 p.m.

Spectacular build. Congratulations, well done, and looking forward to more updates!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/16/13 1:18 p.m.

This is like watching Jesus' Dad make the Wolverine.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/16/13 3:05 p.m.

boing!

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
4/16/13 4:37 p.m.

For those who like to see a little more discussion (or fast forward to the current state!), here's other build threads for this car that I found that had a bit slower progression:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f163/lotus-elise-s1-diy-engine-conversion-acura-tsx-k24-91828/index7.html
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/project-build-elise-gt-widebody-112500/
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/automotive-image-gallery/50426-diy-engine-swap-300hp-k24-tsx-1600-lb-lotus.html

Bryce

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
4/16/13 4:54 p.m.

Oh yeah, and for those asking about costs, here's more info from before the widebody work was done...hope you don't mind me reposting Ken, curiosity got the best of me.

Ken said: Suspension Upgrades Cross-Drilled Aluminum Belled Performance Brake Rotors Pagid RS-14 Brake Pads Stainless Brake Lines New Wheel Bearings (Sealed) Nitron Dampers/Eibach Springs/Helper Springs (Custom developed by Chris Randall – UK Race Legend) Extra Set: Lightweight Technomagnesio 5 Spoke Wheels (Black) Hankook Ventus Z214 DOT Slicks Cost: $5K Aero Upgrades Adjustable Rear Wing – Painted to Match Adjustable Front Splitter – Painted to Match 6-Fin Extended Rear Diffuser (Entire bottom of car flat sheet metal panels) Cost: $3K Cockpit Upgrades Nylatron Shifter Bushings Plexiglass Door Windows/Rear Window Momo Race Wheel / Momo Shift Knob Chatterbox Intercom System with Passenger Traqmate Shift-I Progressive Shift Light Large Bullet Lights / (1) MIL Light (Malfunction Indicator) / (1) Over-Rev Indicator Traqmate HD GPS Data Logger System w/ Camera Control (See Video! Very Cool!!) Cost: $2.5K Engine/Drivetrain Upgrades 2011 Engine/Transmission Conversion - Removed and Crated original Rover VHPD 1.8L DOHC/5-Spd Transmission. – Goes with car in the event the car is ever restored to original collector condition. Replaced with: 2004 Acura TSX K24 2.4L (Honda) – Performance-built to 300bhp (265whp) Assistance with ENDYN Racing / Ft. Worth, TX Z3 Racing Head – CNC Ported & Polished – Enlarged Valves – Racing Valve Train ENDYN Cams – 12.5:1 Forged/Coated Pistons – Crower Racing Rods (to 9500rpm) Balanced Crank – Fluidampr Harmonic Balancer Honda K20 Oil Pump / CNC Port by ENDYN Honda K20 Aluminum Oil Pan with Clockwise Motion Oil Sump Baffle Remote Canton Oil Filter (w/changeable cartridge) MOCAL Laminova Water-Cooled Oil Cooler System All New Engine Components (Bearings, Chains, Tensioners, Water Pump, etc) Cost: $10K Intake System Skunk2 Pro K-Series Intake Manifold Skunk2 70mm Throttle Body Skunk2 Racing Composite Fuel Rail Custom Fabricated Cold Air Intake with K&N Filter Cost: $2K Fuel Management Bosch Injector Dynamics ID725cc Injectors Upgraded Performance ‘In-Tank’ Fuel Pump (K24 requires higher pressure) K-Tune Fuel Pump Regulator – Black Anodized Stainless Steel Braid Oil/Fuel Lines w/Black Anodized Fittings Cost: $1K Exhaust/Header System Header System / Custom Fabrication – Full Blown Motorsports MagnaFlo Racing Muffler Powder Coated - Black Bosche O2 Sensor Cost: $2K Engine Computer Honda PRB ECU with Hondata KPRO Programmable ECU Upgrade/w Software Cost: $1K Transmission/Drivetrain 2002 Acura RSX Type S 6-Speed Transmission Exceedy Lightened Flywheel – 8.5lb Exceedy Racing Clutch System New Honda Inner/Outer CV/TriPod Joints Custom Fabricated Hardened Driveshafts/w Custom Lotus Stainless Steel Hubs Custom Engine/Transmission Brackets and Shift Linkage Cost: $4K Custom Engine Bay/Cooling Management System Custom Sheet Metal / Cold Air Zone / Ductwork from Side Scoops Side Mounted Air Cooling Scoops/Ductwork Canton Oil Catch Can Canton Header Tank Custom Yellow Silicone Hoses ($$) Cost: $2K Cost of Upgrades/Conversion: $32.5K Lotus Purchase Price: $30K Total Investment: $62.5K Selling Price: $49,900

Glad to see you decided to see it through to the end, hopefully you don't regret it!

Bryce

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
4/16/13 4:58 p.m.

So you WERE going to sell it and now you're going to finish it, or you're still gonna sell it?

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/16/13 5:04 p.m.

Amazing

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
4/16/13 5:10 p.m.

Seriously awesome. Love the attention to detail. OTOH, a good example of why I don't add up receipts - I'll throw them in a file, but I don't think I want to do the math or know the numbers.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/13 5:26 p.m.

Elise SuperCar you say?

peter
peter HalfDork
4/16/13 5:35 p.m.

I don't like wading through all sorts of other forum posts, I like the unified thread you're doing here. Please keep it up.

You can flag nashco's posts at the bottom if you like, the powers that be might remove them for you, or maybe nashco will do the edits for you.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
4/16/13 5:48 p.m.

Like I said, I was hoping you wouldn't mind...I'm certainly not trying to be a part of YOUR build, I've got plenty enough of my own. I'm just trying to learn, thought others might be doing the same and want more info...only reason I provided links outside of GRM is because there was more information there. For example, I was really interested in the post I found here about the different things you overcame with the trans adaptation that weren't on this thread:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/automotive-image-gallery/50426-diy-engine-swap-300hp-k24-tsx-1600-lb-lotus.html#post736316

It showed more of the thought process, problems overcome, suppliers considered, etc. If somebody like me was interested in replicating this type of setup, that will save a ton of time and offer more insight that I really appreciated. I wouldn't have found this if you hadn't posted here on GRM, and I like it a lot. I've got an S1-ish idea I've kicked around in my head for a long time, and this gives me an idea of what I'd be getting myself into.

I thought the point of a forum was multiple people communicating. Not sure why you're getting your panties in a bunch, perhaps you should take it as a compliment that I was so interested in your build that I went seeking more info instead of getting offended.

Bryce

MacLotus
MacLotus New Reader
4/16/13 6:01 p.m.
Nashco wrote: For those who like to see a little more discussion (or fast forward to the current state!), here's other build threads for this car that I found that had a bit slower progression: Bryce

Bryce, Some people don't know or understand when they're being rude or offensive. I'm not sensitive. I'm just the type that points it out when they can't see it themselves. You want discussion between each post. I get it. So your grenade is to invite folks to 'fast forward' to another thread.

You're like the guy at the party who says the punch line to another's joke. Personally, I think it stems from a sense of low self esteem and a genuine desire to grab the spotlight. Socially speaking, it's just rude. Plain and simple. Please do it on somebody else's thread.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ken

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
4/16/13 6:59 p.m.

Thanks for the other links Bryce.

Badass build dude. Good luck with the crappy attitude.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
4/16/13 7:02 p.m.

This build almost sounds like Fred zust's xp lotus build only in street car form

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/16/13 7:13 p.m.
MacLotus wrote:
Nashco wrote: For those who like to see a little more discussion (or fast forward to the current state!), here's other build threads for this car that I found that had a bit slower progression: Bryce
You're like the guy at the party who says the punch line to another's joke. Personally, I think it stems from a sense of low self esteem and a genuine desire to grab the spotlight. Socially speaking, it's just rude. Plain and simple. Please do it on somebody else's thread. Thank you for your cooperation. Ken

This is a public forum, anyone can chime in. The other links could be found by anyone from searching google. If you want an exclusive place to post your build where no-one can possibly know the outcome this isn't it. Free discussion is part of the deal.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
4/16/13 7:35 p.m.
MacLotus wrote: A few minor mods to the transmission, a little spit & polish, and the new mounts / linkage plate... and we're ready for an engine.

For someone who wanted to show "how you did it" this type of information is a little light on the technical side. And for the most part we're a pretty technical lot around here.

MacLotus
MacLotus New Reader
4/16/13 8:14 p.m.

Obviously, I'm on the wrong forum. I don't mind interaction, and I'm happy to answer questions. I apologized to Bryce for giving an impression that this is a 'real-time' build, and I set the record straight. I also indicate I'm just catching folks up. I'm not holding back.

Then I get this... "Here's a better place where he did it in real-time guys. Go there dudes. Nothing more to read here guys.", so I kindly call him out on that... and then I get Marylin Manson telling me this is a public forum, therefore rudeness is allowed.

I get it. This is your domain. Keep it. I'm good.

Cheers,

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/16/13 8:26 p.m.

I think you are misinterpreting what Bryce was posting. I am enjoying this build and I don't have an interest of going to the other forums but there is no need for an attitude when someone posts the links.

I hope you continue this thread.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
4/16/13 8:26 p.m.

Hmph.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/13 8:36 p.m.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
4/16/13 9:01 p.m.

Where did all the posts go?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/13 9:08 p.m.

I'll admit to doing a post-build "fast forward" thread on my MG in this forum. But I also pointed to the long build diary on my own site for those that wanted the gory details. And then we had an interesting discussion. Worked well.

The fact that the car is for sale does make this look more like a long-form ad though.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
4/16/13 9:13 p.m.

Somebody got a real short dink in a hurry. So much for that.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
4/16/13 9:43 p.m.

oh crap, I was enjoying that

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vl4w2dbRML3q116QIvWAM3HvQ0fnak8iXPTjL7BCjTk7Aw0LPNr49JaWl58ZFk6X