1 2 3 4
MacLotus
MacLotus New Reader
6/26/13 5:25 p.m.

I know this thread got off to a bad start, and many of you did not have the patience to allow me to detail the car's build history, so to jump ahead... I'll share the completed project without detailing how it was done. FYI... This car has been in the reader's rides section for a few years, so you'll find build detail there. For those still bent out of shape... let it go.

I finally had the opportunity yesterday to drive the car on the track. While esthetics have been a major focus throughout this engine conversion / widebody build, the purpose was to improve performance through significantly wider, lower profile Hoosier R6 tires as well as aerodynamic improvement (not to mention the addition of a 300hp NA Honda K24). I truly had quite a bit of anxiety not really knowing what to expect from the extent of the changes I made.

I started off very slow, breaking in the new tires (DOT Slicks) and listening careful for any sounds of rubbing tire on new fiberglass. I was also getting use to the track as it was just resurfaced and widened from '30 to '40 ft over the winter... so pristine perfect race surface.

After 2-3 laps, I could sense the car was more stable and responsive than I've ever felt. The test was a long right hand sweeper (scariest on the track) with absolutely no bank. Flat as a pancake. The most I ever took that turn was 100mph. Yesterday, I easily took it at 120mph and it felt like I could easily take it at 140-150mph. That stable and planted. UNBELIEVABLE performance increase. 100% improvement. I went through some of the twistier turns a little slower but going deep and really pulling a sharp turn to see if it would break loose under heavy acceleration on track out. No slip whatsoever. Stick as sticky can be. I can't begin to express how happy I am with this car. I'm broke... but very happy!!

Lastly, I tested the new auto-throttle blip system (prototype that eliminates the need for heel/toe) and while it needs a little fine tuning adjustment, it worked fantastic! Very pleased with that little item.

Lastly, I finished the headlamp assemblies/covers and soon will have the carbon fiber airfoil/LED lights/turn indicators in the lower vents. A carbon fiber stone guard completes the look while providing a little protection. I also completely wrapped the front end in 3M clear bra to protect the paint.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
6/26/13 6:08 p.m.

That thing is bitchin!

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
6/26/13 6:15 p.m.

Beautiful. I've always been more partial to the early body.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
6/26/13 7:41 p.m.

Car is gorgeous and amazingly executed. Great job.

That said, I never bothered looking at the outside links. Bad taste in mouth.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/28/13 9:17 p.m.

I still find this awesome , still lament communication by text for its lack of emotion .

JAhmed
JAhmed New Reader
6/30/13 12:00 p.m.

GAHHHHHHHH

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
6/30/13 6:10 p.m.
gamby wrote: Car is gorgeous and amazingly executed. Great job. That said, I never bothered looking at the outside links. Bad taste in mouth.

Do iiiiiiittt!

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=735752

MacLotus
MacLotus New Reader
8/2/13 8:48 p.m.

I finally had the opportunity to do a few shakedown laps with the new blipshift system. It worked pretty good despite my rusty driving skills after darn near two seasons with the car up on jack stands. But what fun! The car handles awesome... and we'll capable of going faster than I have the balls to muster.

Check out this video...

http://youtu.be/8pqook2uM5U

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
8/2/13 11:10 p.m.

Just read through the whole build on ClubRSX, really cool.

Have you thought about front aero mods? I'm thinking a splitter and maybe canards/dive planes could have some performance benefit and would visually balance out the wing. Plus it'd provide some protection for all that fiberglass work, easier to replace a carbon sheet than repair and repaint the bumper you spent so much time on.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/3/13 8:58 a.m.

Hey you know you're supposed to grip the wheel at 9 and 3, not 10:30 and 1:30 right?

The blip shift is a lot smoother than I expected it to be, considering it just gives the engine a predefined hit of throttle. It's very nearly as good as the much more complicated systems with active rev matching.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
8/5/13 11:41 a.m.

Very cool, I'm still super in love with this build!!!

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
8/29/13 1:29 p.m.

I can't believe he's selling it!!!

http://dupontregistry.com/autos/search/DrauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=1908163

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
9/17/13 4:22 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The fact that the car is for sale does make this look more like a long-form ad though.
MacLotus wrote: The car is not for sale... I just wanted to share the project build. It's not an ad for sale. ... Honestly, I'm embarrassed by the ridiculous amount I've invested, because honestly... it's a stupid investment. I'll never get it back. If you really want to know... the engine conversion was $30k... the widebody conversion... $25k. I'm over a $100k in a car that won't sell for more than $50k. Why would I sell now?
MacLotus wrote everywhere on the damn Internet a few months later: The car is for sale. I'd like $92,500 for it.

Are we still assclowns, or can MacAttitude admit that maybe he wasn't being a straight shooter and we're not all suckers around here? I don't mind somebody selling a project car at all...been there, done that...but let's call it like it is and act like big boys next time around. Oh, wait, you won't be around anymore after you sell your car. Never mind.

Bryce

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
9/17/13 10:12 a.m.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oCWOSqgKZ20ojkbwk3BQPNeF0e6tZeVzsB0MIRmoVS1rwH223F7Eaic4O7fRABqk