1 2 3 4
Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/15/13 8:33 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/15/13 8:52 a.m.

Nice, the sketches look pretty good. Question - how are you going to make it street legal?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/13 8:58 a.m.

That Rover VHPD mill is pretty valuable - possibly more valuable than the car is. Send it back to the UK. Rover's also out of business now, as you probably know. Land Rover (makers of the Range Rover) have been separate from Rover Cars since the late 70's, albeit under the same ownership umbrella.

The S1 Elise has been raced pretty heavily, so there's a lot of prior knowledge to go on. I think the Honda swap is a good idea, it's been a fairly popular one for Rover-engined cars.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/15/13 9:27 a.m.

As an ex-owner of an S1 who at the time of ownership was at least a little involved in the UK Elise scene, I've never seen any of the performance variants including the 190 with a factory fitted Petty bar. They all have a roll bar hiding under the over the rear window but that is usually it.

The main issue with the Rover engine is that over here there is pretty much nobody that I'm aware of who can work on these engines and has a similar knowledge to what's available in the UK. That's probably a good reason to do the Honda swap. The engine has a couple of easily corrected problems that center around the headgasket area but it's not an inherently unreliable design and they can make good power in NA form if built right. Again problem is that getting the right person to build the engine requires sending the engine across the pond, plus you most likely want improved engine management and that's also really only available in the UK.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
4/15/13 9:29 a.m.

Very nice. I'd be interested in the old seats when it comes time to replace them - they look like they have a pretty narrow profile.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
4/15/13 9:41 a.m.

WOWOWOWOWOW

Keith Tanner
4/15/13 10:00 a.m.

Oldtin, those look a lot like my Corbeau FX1 Pro seats.

Protege2886
Protege2886 Reader
4/15/13 11:06 a.m.

Subbed for more updates!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
4/15/13 11:12 a.m.

PM sent on seats and harnesses

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
4/15/13 12:57 p.m.

More!

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
4/15/13 1:22 p.m.

In reply to DuctTape&Bondo:

My God that is cool

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/15/13 2:04 p.m.

I had heard that chassis was pretty easy to work on, but its friggin unbelievable when you actually see it...its like an erector set on steroids. Tab A inserts into slot B, and suddenly, RACECAR!!

Keith Tanner
4/15/13 2:24 p.m.

Here's what the Exige looks like with the rear clam removed. Like you said, suddenly RACECAR!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
4/15/13 2:46 p.m.

This is berkelying incredible.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/15/13 4:09 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I had heard that chassis was pretty easy to work on, but its friggin unbelievable when you actually see it...its like an erector set on steroids. Tab A inserts into slot B, and suddenly, RACECAR!!

QFT.

Watching this with great interest.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/15/13 5:35 p.m.

I'm curious was the S1 substantially cheaper than a federalized S2?

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
4/15/13 5:46 p.m.

Holy crap, you do not f-- around. That's quite the engine.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
4/15/13 7:22 p.m.

So Ken, how far along is this currently? We've got some quick builders around here, but something tells me you're not documenting this in real time! Looks like a cool project, I'm just wondering if it's already done and we won't get to play along at all, or if you're catching us up to the current status...

Bryce

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
4/15/13 8:00 p.m.

OMFG This is berkeleying insane and I love EVERY second of it!!!

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
4/15/13 8:33 p.m.

Awesome build!!! Are you keeping track of the costs involved?

RossD
RossD UberDork
4/16/13 9:04 a.m.

I don't know if I'm more dazzled by the good work or the pretty colours! (<-UK spelling )

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/16/13 9:40 a.m.

OH man this looks AWESOME!!!

Quick and really silly question considering the rest of the scale of the build: Where does one purchase the fan mounting tab things that you have on your radiator? (The red things.)

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
4/16/13 9:48 a.m.

OK... I'm in love with you now.

Damn good work sir.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/16/13 10:43 a.m.

fapfapfapfap

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/16/13 10:50 a.m.