1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 39
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/9/19 5:37 a.m.

I ate in that car BEFORE cleaning. Good god.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/9/19 6:47 a.m.

I don’t remember, You’ve changed the cabin filter, right?

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/9/19 6:59 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I haven't but it's nearly brand new. I inspected it the other day. 

spacecadet
8/9/19 7:39 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Yeah...  better not to think about those things..

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/9/19 11:28 a.m.
spacecadet said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Yeah...  better not to think about those things..

Many peoples precious pizza was transported in it before cleaning. surprise

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/9/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

The last retired pizza car I was in wasn't very clean either. Must be a trend.

spacecadet
8/10/19 11:16 p.m.

today has been a mix of ups and downs. Still chasing the AC issue during low speed driving after startup. 

seth and I identified that the mode door actuator was not operating properly. Scotty B's procedure was close but it's the re-circ and rear defrost buttons.. not the AC and re-circ buttons. 

swapped the unit in and it works.. but now I have air locked coming out of the defrost vents... and this happened when i was 60 miles from mazdeuce house where I'm staying where I was working on it with my buddy. 

and so i drove back to MAzdeuce house with the windows down and the headliner proceeded to disintegrate.. like completely.. i have a photo of the interior of the car covered with balls of the headliner foam that just flew everywhere as it fell apart.. 

just berkeleying spectacular.. so i had to cut the thing out of the car and I'll start working on the other door issue in the morning.. 

damn this berkeleying car.. 

spacecadet
8/10/19 11:44 p.m.

I legit stopped partway to Mazdeuce's place at a gas station..... cut the headliner out with my knife and used their vacuum to clean the car out.. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/11/19 12:41 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

I ripped my headliner out of the Saturn at a stop sign because it fell down in my face. Maybe the SL1 and Hazmat are close than we think.

mazdeuce - Seth
8/11/19 6:56 a.m.

That's kind of funny, but only because I'm reading about it and wasn't there dealing with it. Now I wonder what the HVAC is doing. 

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
8/11/19 7:51 p.m.

Ugh! your "new" headliner grenaded?

May be this car just wants to be dirty. 

spacecadet
8/11/19 11:47 p.m.

Finally home.. Clothes in the washer and I can take a few minutes to decompress from the awesomeness of this weekend. 

Seth and I got started on Hazmat about 8 this morning. Pulled the new mode control actuator motor off and confirmed that all the box linkages were working and they indeed were. re-installed the mode motor and everything works right... obviously I didn't have the defroster linkage in the correct spot when I installed the motor last night.. Not a big deal.

Once that was done I pulled both seats and got about cleaning the interior.. 

We pulled the headliner at the same time and using a wire brush and acetone got most of the nasty degraded foam off of the headliner backer. 

We also put the radio LCD screen back in and used some crazy gorilla super rubber/tar tape that seth had to secure it.. It's some super awesome/nasty stuff but seems extremely effective..  Lcd no longer bounces around and makes noise and the radio semi functions correctly.. It still jumps between bands AM/FM1/FM2 but in aux mode is fully behaved.. And that's really all I care about right now. 

I didn't snap a photo.. But seth and I swapped the old stock Si shift knob off right before I left to head home.. We threw the stock accord foam knob on cause it won't get hot sitting in the sun and after using it all afternoon.. I LOVE IT. The extra height is awesome. It pairs super well with the Si shifter and it's a super comfortable height for me. 

I went and had dinner with my buddy Erik at his house and finally got home a few minutes ago.. I've had hazmat in my possession 8 days and I've racked up nearly 1500 miles... I'. Seeing between 33 and 30 mpg on the Hwy.. It's just eating up miles.. The 33mpg was on the ride back north this afternoon. 

I'm super pleased with how it's driving now. 

Seth and I also had a long conversation yesterday.. And as of today Hazmat will no longer be attending the challenge this year and it's going straight into proper full track worthiness prep. 

Seth and I talked the logistics and with gastropods now having blown up into a BIG deal.. He needs to focus on that...and can't help me with logistics on Hazmat anymore and I don't have the time off to get hazmat to FL for the challenge myself.. 

So.. I'm still coming to the challenge..  But I'm going to be teaming up with Klodcrawler and helping him any way I can leading up to and at the challenge.  

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/11/19 11:53 p.m.

Seems like a smart move. Best not to get yourself into the mess I'm worried about with the wagon. I have a lot of ideas for the car but I don't see a feasible way for me to comfortably do it inside of challenge budget but I'm certain I want it to do the challenge at least least once, so if I miss this year the car basically sits stagnant for a year. 

mazdeuce - Seth
8/12/19 6:59 a.m.

That was weird decomposing headliner dust. Usually the foam just turns to dust, maybe slightly sticky, but this time it turned to pure sticky. If you touched it, it sort of melted into a super sticky goo. Acetone wouldn't touch it. It laughed at dish soap and purple power. I could sort of get it to move with goof off, but it was fairly horrible E36 M3. 

The Challenge thing. Yea, that was a tough call. Spacecadet can't drive over. That leaves me either driving or towing. If I drive, then I'm working with the risk of a broken car at the Challenge and I NEED to be back on time because of dad stuff. If I tow, then I'm hooking the car up to my 220k mile Silverado with a stock unopened transmission which at this point is a crap shoot. Because of Gastropods, I NEED to make it to Gainsville. Initially I was hoping that we could caravan which would leave us with redundancy, but as I mentioned above, schedules prevent that. 

And I'm glad you like my knob. laugh

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 HalfDork
8/12/19 7:17 a.m.

Welcome to the team! and congrats on replacing Matt as the furthest away team member. One of these days I'll make friends with someone who isn't 10 states away.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/19 8:58 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

That was weird decomposing headliner dust. Usually the foam just turns to dust, maybe slightly sticky, but this time it turned to pure sticky. If you touched it, it sort of melted into a super sticky goo. Acetone wouldn't touch it. It laughed at dish soap and purple power. I could sort of get it to move with goof off, but it was fairly horrible E36 M3. 

The Challenge thing. Yea, that was a tough call. Spacecadet can't drive over. That leaves me either driving or towing. If I drive, then I'm working with the risk of a broken car at the Challenge and I NEED to be back on time because of dad stuff. If I tow, then I'm hooking the car up to my 220k mile Silverado with a stock unopened transmission which at this point is a crap shoot. Because of Gastropods, I NEED to make it to Gainsville. Initially I was hoping that we could caravan which would leave us with redundancy, but as I mentioned above, schedules prevent that. 

And I'm glad you like my knob. laugh

I may be drafting you to Team Alavanche for decal duty in between gastropod stuff, also parking lot build golf kart.

spacecadet
8/12/19 1:39 p.m.

Well the super tar gorilla tape stuff isn't up to Texas heat standards.. 

The white that can be seen is the surround of the LCD as it slides down from where seth and I secured it yesterday... So I guess I'll be investigating  a new unit or further glue and repairs.. 

mazdeuce - Seth
8/12/19 1:43 p.m.

Dangit! 

spacecadet
8/12/19 1:51 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

The radio still works, doesn't vibrate and make rattling noise while driving and no longer makes random electronic noise while driving.. So this is till all around a win.. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/12/19 2:08 p.m.

Epoxy. Only thing that I have found to work in a southern cars interior heat.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/12/19 2:27 p.m.

The radio in the Tib turns on/off with random bumps. I got a $5 harness coming to install my old Pioneer that's been in 4 cars. Cassette deck is jammed, the CD player has a disc stuck in it but won't play. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/19 4:33 p.m.

Hot glue gun

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/12/19 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

The hot glue re-melts in the interior down here. So, not the solution. Unless theres a higher melting point one i don't know about .

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
8/12/19 5:11 p.m.

Does Hazmat have a distant cousin?

Cousin Yellowjacket

spacecadet
8/12/19 5:44 p.m.

In reply to apexanimal :

LOL

Nothing was living inside hazmat prior to  cleaning... but if it was alive before... it isn't after the near cancerous use of purple power...

I can say that there was a new dead beetle that cam out of the HVAC each day this weekend as new stuff started working.. 

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 39

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UqpFvtgtVJeViHRN4q278CU7FVTAb7eaKjhR4kYIXLmg6lRpGNQ9LqBytKQzLEaW