1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 39
spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/13/19 3:25 p.m.

Also. I love how far down a rabbithole the thread goes. Makes me smile. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/13/19 5:00 p.m.
bobzilla said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

All y’alls are fancy pantses, with your “mounted in the dash” stereos.

My setup: Boom box, with a tape player only, sitting in the back seat of the ‘82 manual accord sedan.

One better...... when I had to borrow dad's 'burb when my trans pooped (imagine that, a 700R4 dying). No radio, so I had an old Walkman clipped into the hole where the radio was with a pair of battery powered corded speakers sitting on the dash. Of an 84 Lifted 'burb, 6.2L Diesel, no rear shocks and rotted out barn doors. I don't know how I heard anything. 

I6 years old. Somehow all parents involved let a friend and I take a WEEK long camping adventure trip. Radio was a tape player on the front bench seat of the 1984 K-car playing the same tape on continuous loop. When my sister and I went to Alaska 8 years later we just accepted that radio was dead for the whole six week 12k mile trip. You guys are bringing back some memories. 

spacecadet
8/13/19 5:08 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I was burning CD "mixtapes" cause CD's were cheap and plentiful and better sound quality than my iPod into the tape deck headphone jack adapter..  

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/13/19 5:12 p.m.

Honestly I'm so used to having an aux port or bluetooth now that driving my dad's truck to Indy and back with only FM radio is a severe hardship. I considered putting a stereo in it just for the next time I need to borrow it for tow pig duty. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/13/19 6:30 p.m.

Here's my 185,000 mile 8th gen Si sedan. I'm perfectly content using the 3.5mm aux port the car came with. I've done that since forever. Even had the same setup in my 2013 Fit because you couldn't get the top trim w/ nav/Bluetooth and a 5spd manual. I still carry some CDs in the Si. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/13/19 6:43 p.m.

I have lots of slop and wheel hop and also weirdness when shifting. My car has a grillion miles. My instincts say replace all the engine/trans mounts with fresh OEM stuff and it will be very much improved. Are there any stiffer/aftermarket options I should try or consider? Or do a urethane treatment to my old mounts? 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/13/19 6:52 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I'm generally not a fan of poly motor mounts unless fresh rubber doesn't work for some reason. One cool thing available for the 8th gen are the upper engine dampers like this. They seem to do a good job of keeping things in place while using stock mounts. 

Number1Gaza
Number1Gaza GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/13/19 7:04 p.m.

Yep and you could always fab up an engine damper out of a mountain bike shock if you want to be a real diy-er.  Guy on an Integra forum did that with surprisingly good results.  I’m thinking of doing it for my Accord.  

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/13/19 7:18 p.m.

Roger that. I'm also not a fan of poly. If all fresh mounts doesn't satisfy me then engine damper it is!

spacecadet
8/13/19 10:25 p.m.

tonight was low key. 

waiting on Friday to go pickup wheels and tires and flush the brakes. 

so i pulled out the racecapture to make sure i can use it this weekend. 

plugged it in and..........nothing.. 

got on the book of faces community group and turns out i needed to hit the checkbox for the 29 bit mode under the OBDII PID settings. 

once i got that figured out. it is now sending RPM and coolant temp data to my phone.. 

spacecadet
8/14/19 5:26 p.m.

More bits arrived today.. 

My Galaxy Tab A with Verizon plan on it. Eric Kaul got me setup with the tablet for nearly nothing and the 1gb data plan is $10 a month. 

So this will take the racecapture data and stream it live through Podium. Very excited about this capability.  

spacecadet
8/15/19 9:07 p.m.

Fun fact...

The racecapture pro Mk2 fits perfect in the center consol of the 8th gen civic

This is awesome cause now I don't have to hard mount it somewhere immediately I can roll with this for a while.. 

SCORE! 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/15/19 10:41 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

I must say the center console of this car is indeed cavernous.

spacecadet
8/16/19 3:23 p.m.

There's a tire size discussion going on in Bob's Hyundai thread... 

Rather than hijack his thread.. I'll post the research I was doing the other day.. 

That's the stock tire size compared to some wheels I've been looking at on tire rack. 

Conti DWS and the Falken 615K+ both come in a 275/40R17

spacecadet
8/16/19 3:26 p.m.

Also the radio stopped outputting sound at lunch today... 

So that's annoying

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/16/19 3:30 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

that app should have an ability to add in camber to your strut to see if it improves clearance wink

spacecadet
8/16/19 3:50 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

It's called a sawzall. This car is about tinkering and driving for enjoyment.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/16/19 3:50 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

You're just jealous of the crooked H cheeky

spacecadet
8/16/19 3:52 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to spacecadet :

You're just jealous of the crooked H cheeky

This is only phase 1 plans.. I'm dead serious about getting a 305 or bigger tire on this car.. Cause it will be dumb and awesome.

I'm picking up my 255's tonight. 

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
8/16/19 6:15 p.m.

because i haven't been following along too much:

do you have adjustable camber plates for this?

spacecadet
8/16/19 7:32 p.m.

In reply to apexanimal :

Not yet.. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/16/19 7:34 p.m.

So we going box flare or just let the 305s hang in the breeze?

spacecadet
8/16/19 7:41 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

They'll be flared.. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/19 7:42 p.m.

Picked up my 17x8's tonight. 

They're boat anchors.. But they should hold up great on track.. And they were dirt cheap. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/16/19 7:52 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Wait a minute I've seen those before...

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 39

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7ZrS3b9iTp1fMPyjdfeWhzLMK7GA5ErSSMiaJY0IgPKnpgxUy2VQLlmva8ex4OAv