1 2 3 4 ... 39
klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
4/29/19 10:33 a.m.

"For all of you up north, this is what 160k miles of neglect looks like in Texas. laugh"

I know there isn't a flipping the bird emoticon on GRM, but just know, that I am flipping you the bird cheeky

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/29/19 11:23 a.m.

Since I had the hose out to wash the spare wheel I decided to wash Hazmat. The worse your camera is, the better this car looks. 

And even though spacecadet was sort of looking for a Fit, this picture does a good job of showing why the Civic is a better track platform from a width/height perspective. 

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
4/29/19 11:47 a.m.

I believe these had a recall for paint. If you care enough, you may be able to get a free paint job.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1092810_2006-2013-honda-civics-will-get-extended-paint-warranty

artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/29/19 11:55 a.m.
spacecadet said:

Also of note.. Seth and I spent 2 hours going to town on the car Saturday afternoon...  we brought the interior back from the brink... 

[...]

[...]

Wow! What a satisfying transformation! The before pictures made me uncomfortable just by looking at them, I can only imagine what it was like to be in the car.

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
4/29/19 12:59 p.m.

dude...you guys are wizards with the detail equipment.  that thing is straight up haggard.

but that said, for the mechanical condition you might have got the deal of the year.  i can't wait to follow this one!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/29/19 2:38 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
dculberson said:

Eating McDonalds on track. Now that's amusing.

fast food

As a dad of one myself. I'm going to guess you are a dad of AT LEAST two.

Real recognize real.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/30/19 9:35 a.m.

This guy arrived last night. I had pre Ordered it months ago thinking I would use it in the RallyX Miata because the original plan seth and I had was for me to borrow the miata this summer... then his son had to fall in love with it aaaaaaaannnnnd so we started shopping for a Gen 1 Honda Fit and that was how we found Hazmat. 

Back to the Roav Bolt. Has 2 2.5A USB ports to support fast charging and it has an aux output so I can plug it into the Civic Aux input and I'll have my Bluetooth stuff at my fingertips. It's basically a Google home that's attached to a 12V USB output. 

Started using it in the 2010 RX450h last night and I'm pretty impressed. this and a Proclip Ram Mount for my phone will go well in the Civic 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/30/19 9:55 a.m.

I was thinking about this car this morning. This is going to be a weird build thread. I'm basically borrowing it for the Challenge in exchange for doing the Challenge prep. That will leave it clean, working, and on decent brakes. From there the car will begin it's second life with spacecadet and who knows where it will end up. It will be exciting to me to watch a car get dragged out of a parking lot, Challenged, and then returned to daily/track use. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/30/19 10:10 a.m.

I threw up in my mouth a little looking at those interior pictures.

My dog saw the pictures and went outside and threw up his breakfast.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/19 10:39 a.m.

With the budget this tight, I assume Challenge will be done on blown shocks? Or can you get them all under $200?

mazdeuce - Seth
4/30/19 10:44 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Shopping ebay and some other shady places we can do all four for about $100, and those are new. That's our base line. We want to figure out how to chop that number down. The front's are workable as they sit. They're A problem, but not THE problem. The good thing is that we (well, spacedet) has all summer to shake the Honda parts tree and see what falls out. The hope is to get some sort of springs and rear shocks in the $100 range. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/30/19 11:01 a.m.

very cool! great buy. 

J1000
J1000 New Reader
4/30/19 1:57 p.m.

Wow what a transformation on the interior. I definitely will be following this one. Congrats on the win!

spacecadet
4/30/19 10:05 p.m.

I've been trying to find this article for the past 2 days. This article was one i read over...and over... and OVER again... It was originally published in Sport Compact Car Magazine.. which published its last issue in 2009 after being downsized by new ownership. 

I was 15 when this article came out in Summer 2006. As far as I can remember this was the first time i found out about autocross and this was also at a time when I had a friend with a EG civic coupe that was modified and another friend who had a 99 Civic Si coupe in red both at my high school. I had found top gear just a few months before this article came out. I wasn't driving at the time but the love for a 8th Gen civic started at this time and continued to fester for years. 

http://www.superstreetonline.com/cars/new-car-reviews/0608sccp-honda-civic-si-volkswagen-gti/

In 2012 A buddy of mine who also worked at Johnson Space Center while we were in college, had an 8th Gen Si, a 2008 coupe also in Gray. We put a flashpro on that car in 2012 and had a blast ripping around for weeks as he went through iterations of tunes. He drove the car until it's demise in 2015 at the hands of a Houston Flash Flood.... the car was never unmarried from the Flashpro though and so he still has the flashpro to this day because we've though it wasn't worth anything.... it may still not be.

BUT, we're going to reach out to Hondata and see if we can get the flashpro unmarried from the old car. SO that we can marry it to my car and unlock some more power... how that works into the challenge budget IDK... so that will probably be a post october install regardless if we can pull it off. 

Really......... I just wanted to share this article because I believe it's the first time I ever heard about Autox (I wouldn't find GRM until a few years later). AND I KNOW this was an article that got me really stoked about the 8th gen Si. To this day I have always remember about the wheel mix up and having to run the race tires on the stock honda wheels because of the wheel mix up. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
5/12/19 9:42 a.m.

Welcome to the 8th gen club! That is a really good deal for the Civic. Will be following along.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
5/12/19 7:10 p.m.

What did you guys do to clean the interior so well? I can't lie- I gotta know since there's been a few too many years when I'd sit in the driver's seat of my subaru after getting right out of the gym.

spacecadet
5/13/19 10:24 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Purple power at the proper dilution. We worked the dash and seats with a plastic stuff bristle brush. Gently on the seats and mildly aggressive on the dash. And then dabbing with disposable shop towels to take the loosened mess off. 

Radio and steering wheel were cleeaned with purple power directly applied to the disposable shop towels and then dried with clean towels and continually alternating. 

spacecadet
5/15/19 8:00 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:

Welcome to the 8th gen club! That is a really good deal for the Civic. Will be following along.

thank you! i'm looking forward to diving in on the project. 

spacecadet
5/18/19 12:32 a.m.

#iamthedeliverator 

spacecadet
5/21/19 7:20 p.m.

My Pizza receipts comment got picked for "SayWhat" in the magazine.. now i gotta do something dumb... i mean awesome.....enough to get this car to end up in the magazine... I've been a coverboy once(sportscar mag) out of stupidity and guidance from Mazdeuce..... so I have a bar I need to exceed.. 

spacecadet
5/22/19 1:55 p.m.

Someone in the book of faces 8/9th gen civic track group made mention of the ability to bolt the 2014+ Si rear sway bar onto the 8th gen cars... 

did some digging to find out how much different... and it's definitely worth doing.. 

Stock 8TH gen is 17mm in the rear.. 

2014+ si have a 20mm rear bar.. 

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/online/Page_Cart/ListShoppingCart.aspx?previousURL=(%2Fgenuine%2Fhonda~spring~rr~stabilizer~52300-tr7-a51.html)

$60 with shipping... 

as for rear shocks.. I'm going to start plugging around in the groups online.. see if anyone has their stock shocks lying on a shelf somewhere.. 

New rear shocks look like they're going to run $65-67 for a pair with shipping on rock auto...

I went digging here in the forum and there is a currently active 5% coupon code for RA until July 1

5% Discount Code: 1F733F70BEDD0A
Expires: July 1, 2019

I have yet to buy any parts.. but i'm just thinking out loud talking to the void.. 

spacecadet
5/29/19 7:44 p.m.

Ok, so been bored this week and I can't work on Hazmat cause it's currently living in the Grosh 250 miles from me. 

So i started working to Mine Content (YARR CONTENT thank sleepyhead for making reference to this on OLOA, and now I saw Yarr everytime i hear the word content) .. maybe mining "material" is the better word... but anyway.. 

I started gathering content for the Build Book for the Challenge.. 

SO i dug up the book of faces post where I caught word of this glorious ride and I'm going to play with the cuting and pasting to help some maintain anonymity.. but it will help show how we found Hazmat. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/29/19 7:55 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Thanks for reminding me I need to be saving this kind of stuff.

spacecadet
5/29/19 8:04 p.m.

the first 2 comments that are hidden contained a photo of the owner's contact info and my buddy saying to contact him for more info. 

My comment string included this.. 

So Apparently i totally glossed the "Haggard" comment from my buddy on the day of..... WHOOPS 

and then there was 2 other comments and one of them mentioned Seth going down to look at the car. 

These are the photos i got ahead of time . 

basically i saw that photo and went all in.. 

kinda glossed over how bad this one was... 

in hindsight.. that was probably good.. 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/31/19 3:11 p.m.

Did a little car shuffling and found some covered parking for HAZMAT for the summer. Made sure the tires were full, pulled the positive battery connection and put it to bed. 

1 2 3 4 ... 39

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q3EIEQ8jLTiy7XeTD13cPUDaPtAGrGHvXB1xLM0vkz02CP4KUSTM8MR25msfHM63