sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/24/19 11:06 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

does this mean you're going to wax it?

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/19 4:01 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I'm going to get my hands on a buffer at some point this winter to see if I can get the paint to take any kind of polish.. But like waxing the car? No.. The bumper has plenty of paint.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/19 10:50 a.m.

So good news bad news on my Honda Factory Diagnostic Dongle.

My buddy received his last night and it's not what it said it was. It's the older HDS tool and the software is for windows XP circa 2009.
Bummer... BUT there's an upside.

He has an extra old laptop sitting around he was going to recycle and it runs XP.

He brought the laptop and the dongle and software to work this morning... Software installed no issue!

I'll hook it up to hazmat tonight.... But if this works... man I might be in business... this should work on any Honda from 1997-2009...maybe even later....

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/27/19 11:48 a.m.
akylekoz said:

In reply to spacecadet :

What is up with the giant connect four game?

I built a giant Jenga game that is really cool until it becomes another big thing to store in my garage.  

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/19 10:44 p.m.

Found this video earlier of Spoon doing a Side by side of their new Civic FD2 against their estabilshed Integra DC5 at Tsukuba in 2007. 

Gratuitous VTEC noises ensued. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
11/29/19 4:38 p.m.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/29/19 5:06 p.m.

The "I'm riding in a car with spacecadet" face. I've made that a time or two. 

spacecadet
11/29/19 6:28 p.m.

Got a few things addressed today.

Idler pulley has now been replaced with a new gates one. Old one was starting to make noise like a skateboard wheel. So i knew its time was coming.

Installed a new inner tie rod on the passenger side.

Once the outer tie rod was disconnected from the spindle it was clear that the play was actually inside the rack and not the inner tie rod. But I decided to still make sure the inner tie rod had no play and install the new one and the new boot.

I also threw in new the new rack bushing on the passenger side.

The noise from the rack is now more pronounced over bumps, at least to me. But I overall feel better knowing the rack has no lateral play. It's just something I'll tackle in 2020. It's not impeding me driving the car at all.

I also got myself something for my birthday. I was perusing the internet monday and found out that Hotwheels Honda line in 2018 included a 8th gen civic Si coupe. So i bought one off amazon.

spacecadet
11/30/19 1:57 p.m.

2nd to last hurrah today at Mineral Wells.

Threw Mazdface and 2 other passengers in the car for a few laps.

I am going to miss this place so much.

Last event I have planned out here is next weekend.

mazdeuce - Seth
11/30/19 2:00 p.m.

Watch those shoulders and have fun. 

spacecadet
11/30/19 5:37 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Went very well today. Need to get 2 tires flipped to get through next weekend. But it's all holding together pretty well.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
11/30/19 7:40 p.m.

I was amazed at how well it did with so many people in it. Overall a super fun day 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
12/1/19 10:19 p.m.

hey man, just a head's up - saw this on the Facespace page.  Autozone has been selling new-old-stock SPC forged aluminum adjustable rear upper control arms under the Duralast name, they even still have the "SPC" stamping on them, at least as of earlier this year.  $45/per, free shipping, and with the TRAVELSAFE promo giving 20% off until Dec 9, you're getting 2 of these under $100 with tax.  MSRP is $240 ea!  

spacecadet
12/2/19 7:06 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

Ooooooooo ok, i saw some chatter about it.. But jesus thats a steal.

spacecadet
12/7/19 8:57 p.m.

Today is the end of an era for me.
2 years ago I had a conversation that led to my Job in DFW that has allowed me to do as much as I have the past 2 years. That conversation happened after an event at Mineral Wells. I actually took that job partly because i knew it would bring me closer to MW and I knew from listening to David and Kim Whitener talk about their driver development they did out there that being close to MW would be valuable to me.

I have spent days upon days at Mineral Wells over these past 2 years.  Mazdeuce and I were able to do so much valuable testing out here on the Traccord that allowed us to show up to One Lap and have the car be absolutely rock solid and setup perfectly. I have turned so many laps out here that Ive been able to learn a lot of valuable lessons on how to drive aggressively but also be nice to the tires. I've learned how to turn quick, not fast, laps repeatedly and keep the brakes under a car when they're severely lacking. I learned how to feel and listen for scrub from the front tires of a FWD car and that taught me how to not overdrive the front end.

To say Mineral Wells is special to me now... is an understatement. I've turned something like 200 laps now of our TT course. I love attending SCCA Prosolo and Champ Tour events here in MW.

A bittersweet end to the site. I set some personal bests in Hazmat today.

Hazmat is in basically fully stock spec on garbage throwaway tires, Heavy heat cycled out RS4's.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/7/19 10:01 p.m.

I'll admit confusion.  Why is today the end of an era?  Does your stereo finally work or something?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
12/7/19 10:08 p.m.

It is sad to loose any site, but especially one as useful as Mineral Wells

spacecadet
12/7/19 10:12 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

I'll admit confusion.  Why is today the end of an era?  Does your stereo finally work or something?

Valid joke, well played.

We're losing the mineral wells site for autox and for the private events I've been doing out there. Mineral wells is 1.4 million square ft of basically open pad. There's no other publicly available site like it anywhere in the country right now. Especially for the fact that it was beyond affordable to rent.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/7/19 10:20 p.m.

Bummer. Sounds like a rare and great opportunity.

At least your stereo is working.

spacecadet
12/8/19 2:01 p.m.

Flushed the brakes for the first time since August.

After 3 hard days at mineral wells...

Water bottle is what came out of the front calipers.

mazdeuce - Seth
12/8/19 6:55 p.m.

We should throw some heat paint on things the next time you're going to go on track. I'm curious how hot you're really getting things. 

spacecadet
12/8/19 9:54 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Definitely can. I'm adding more cooling very soon. I've already got the GT3 air deflectors on the way and I'm planning to pull the bumper over christmas to route the brake ducts.

spacecadet
12/8/19 10:05 p.m.

So hanging out with my buddy who was in town to grab stuff from his parents place.
Working in the garage tonight and his dad asks him if he wants the NC miata wheels to go back with him.

Buddy says to me: you know anyone who could use these wheels?

Me: yeah, I can!

Buddy: cool let my dad know when you can swing by and pick them up.

Me: oh I'll take them home now!

Buddy: you already have 4 wheels and tires In the car dont you?

Me: 4 more will fit!

Buddy: no way!

Me: BET

2 in the Front passenger seat

5 in the backseat

and the 8th and final straggler in the trunk.

They're 17x7 NC Miata 10 spokes

Best part is he got them when he bought his mazdaspeed3 from our buddy. And our buddy is a crazy SOB autocrosser who managed to pinch 245's onto these 7 inch wheels.

I'm planning to rip the tires off and put them on the accord wheels and then use the wheels as new DD wheels cause the factory wheels are in terrible shape.

spacecadet
12/9/19 11:18 a.m.

On the topic of brake cooling. 

I anticipated that this weekend would destroy my brakes. 

Last weekend at MW the brakes are getting unhappy. 

One of the guys in the 8th/9th gen Civic RR and autox group on book of faces put together a cheap brake cooling setup. 

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-porsche-parts/gt3-front-brake-duct-upgrade-kit/99734148392kt/

I ordered the air deflectors he used last week. I've got 2 sets coming because they're so cheap. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/9/19 11:24 a.m.
ScottyB said:

hey man, just a head's up - saw this on the Facespace page.  Autozone has been selling new-old-stock SPC forged aluminum adjustable rear upper control arms under the Duralast name, they even still have the "SPC" stamping on them, at least as of earlier this year.  $45/per, free shipping, and with the TRAVELSAFE promo giving 20% off until Dec 9, you're getting 2 of these under $100 with tax.  MSRP is $240 ea!  

Thanks for the protip! I got a pair shipped to me for $85! It did require a bit of random out of state zip code entering to find a store with them in stock, but I got em! My filler item to reach the $100 requirement was a roll of tape.

1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 39

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7eFHk9iFssDkKXzwdfdBRn3so0c0ufE1aVqJfbU0RnPTWmM2eQQ1T1xwjQFeg4BU