1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 39
spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/20 1:53 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

If i was going to go down that road I would be spending a lot of time playing with foam padding to make the seats more comfortable. For track day use I plan on having a matching pair of seats for instruction reasons. But for One Lap I will probably reinstall the factory passenger seat just because it gives more options on recline. But that's something my condriver and I will figure out when he flys back to DFW in Late March. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/25/20 3:47 p.m.
docwyte said:

I couldn't imagine sitting in an Ultrashield for One Lap.  Comfort is a big thing and transit stages are where you spend the vast majority of your time in the car driving...

Weirdly the Cobra fixed seat that we had in the Civic two years ago was way more comfortable than the stock seat. Not suggesting that an Ultrashield would be the same, but seats are funny sometimes. 

spacecadet
2/27/20 8:10 p.m.

NRG seat arrives tonight. It's doesn't have as long of sides on the bottom as i thought. Which is good. It means it's super comfy to sit in even with my legs splayed out. It will be a good one lap seat i think. It also came with side mount brackets.. so i will see about utilizing them on the NRG rails. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/27/20 9:00 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

The Ultrashields are metal seats with thin fabric covers, super uncomfortable.  I could drive hours in my old Recaro SPG XLs and current Recaro Euro GT3 seats...

spacecadet
2/27/20 9:37 p.m.

SO update, the sides ARE as tall as i thought they were.. but the nice thick padded ASS CUSHION is actually pushing me up in the seat. In the photo above you can see that the harness holes are not visible.. pull the lower seat cushions though.. and i'm now sitting low enough for the harnesses to pass through correctly with no obstruction at shoulder height. This does beg the question though.. because my codriver is taller than me by a few inches.... i need to figure out if this seat is going to fit him properly or not. 

spacecadet
2/28/20 12:09 a.m.

Me when I get home tonight:

I'm so excited to install this seat on Sunday..

..... why am I waiting until sunday? i have all the hardware here right now.. 

berkeley IT

*Spongebob Annoucer Voice* 

2 HOURS LATER

Pulled the center console out because there was no good way for it to stay. the seat belt was rubbing on it. 

I will need to spend some time this weekend fine tuning the position of the seat and the sliders right now the whole assembly is a little unhappy sliding back and forth. But the seat is securely in and the seating position is WAY lower and further back. I need to add more padding in the upper back to move me closer to the steering wheel. 

But I am super excited. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
2/28/20 2:29 a.m.

Since racecar transformation has officially started, I just want to offer a reminder of these posts.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
2/28/20 2:57 a.m.

Are you using stock belts?  Run them through the holes so the belt is held against your hips!

nice midnight wrenching job.  Dem's da best 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/28/20 6:23 a.m.

Seat looks pimp. Too bad about that lame shift tower.......laugh

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/20 6:55 a.m.

Watching. One lap is Soo cool.

spacecadet
2/28/20 8:34 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Seat looks pimp. Too bad about that lame shift tower.......laugh

Turns out the stock shifter is the only one to use. The aftermarket ones for the 8th gen actually have design flaws and have cause trans failures I found out. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
2/28/20 9:23 a.m.

I had the same CF version of those NRG in the ESP car.  I did not run the belt through the hole *bad me*, but the belt would fall where it should and contact me where it should even still.  You are a Thick Boi like me, so you should be at least half ok.

Only bad about NRG.  If you use these in a DD and have them for a few years, the cover will wear out.  I was not able to get a new cover to fix the old one.  Also, the pads can get a bit stiff over age.  Its easy to make a new pad to get more softy soft for over the road stages.  The seat did have some flex when installed.  If put into a true caged car, I would plan for a seat bracket on the back.   Thats coming from someone who probably went way to fast without a cage on track previously with these in a car.

FYI, the birkin's seat is one of these with the bad cover, with 3" removed out of the center and top half reset together to make it one piece again.  All with CF layup.  Stiffer than it was.

spacecadet
2/28/20 9:32 a.m.
Thinkkker said:

I had the same CF version of those NRG in the ESP car.  I did not run the belt through the hole *bad me*, but the belt would fall where it should and contact me where it should even still.  You are a Thick Boi like me, so you should be at least half ok.

Only bad about NRG.  If you use these in a DD and have them for a few years, the cover will wear out.  I was not able to get a new cover to fix the old one.  Also, the pads can get a bit stiff over age.  Its easy to make a new pad to get more softy soft for over the road stages.  The seat did have some flex when installed.  If put into a true caged car, I would plan for a seat bracket on the back.   Thats coming from someone who probably went way to fast without a cage on track previously with these in a car.

FYI, the birkin's seat is one of these with the bad cover, with 3" removed out of the center and top half reset together to make it one piece again.  All with CF layup.  Stiffer than it was.

Thanks for the notes man. 

These do have what appears to be extra bracing on the backside. I'll get a photo later when i go to lunch. 

The price point is such that I can make everything else on them work. they're a great entry point and they do allow me to get much lower in the car. I am very happy with how the first one mounted up... so happy in fact that I ordered another already. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
2/28/20 9:45 a.m.

Yes, the "x" Brace bracing in there?  Its a Sparco copy. 

They are a pretty decent deal.  If you put a roll bar in or cage I would look at some sort of Seat back brace for it thats adjustable.

spacecadet
2/28/20 10:00 a.m.
Thinkkker said:

Yes, the "x" Brace bracing in there?  Its a Sparco copy. 

They are a pretty decent deal.  If you put a roll bar in or cage I would look at some sort of Seat back brace for it thats adjustable.

The half cage is coming. The back brace isn't practical for One Lap. But maybe the solution is to plan on upgrading this seat later and using it on a sim rig. 

spacecadet
2/28/20 5:30 p.m.

We got a PRUSA MK3S at work this week. I bought some cheap Amazon basics PETG to try out. 

Needed to run a print to see what it was like to print.. 

So I dusted off this print from last year..

Hoonda Civic Type GRM. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/20 6:54 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Looks good.  I bought a Prusa last summer and I've run the hell out of it.  Probably gone thru 25 rolls of material.  It's an awesome machine.

spacecadet
2/28/20 7:46 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Our Form 2 was having issues so we expanded out printing to include this guy and I'm beyond impressed. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/20 7:58 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

I think software is the big differentiator on 3d printers right now.  The Prusa software is iron-clad.  So impressed.

spacecadet
2/29/20 5:22 p.m.

Today was productive. I decided to get ahead of the ball on pulling the backseats. Which had immediate scope creep as i realized I'd want topull out all the standard seatbelt hardware while I was at it. 

eagle eyed folks will see in the 3rd photo that the rear speakers are gone.. Why would i pull them out? Well cause they looked like this.. so if they are still functional they're not doing a good job. so i just went ahead and pulled them. 

I still want to take wipes to the surfaces back there. more headliner junk was back there as well as other dust. I got most of it with a vacum. but It will require wiping to get everything. 

slowly but surely I am getting this whole car cleaned up. 

I also took time today to reinstall the center console because I want an armrest. I'm going to spend a bunch of time in this car daily driving it and on one lap. So I went to bolt just the console back in without the side parts and it would probably have worked... maybe.. but it was floating in air with no front or rear support so i decided to cut up the stock center console sides to make it a bit more supported. 

I separated this harness from the console. it goes to the 12v plug and USB input in the center console. which if its there. I want to maintain those functions. 

I cut this first one with a set of dikes the whole way down.. 

ON this side i realized i could make a upper and lower relief cut and then snap it... and it resulted in this beautiful clean break. 

SO what does all of this mean for weight savings?? 

I have not weighed the seats yet. i need to get a simple bathroom scale to do that. But i did have a luggage scale to borrow from my roommate so i could weigh all the seatbelt hardware, 2 speakers and the seat latches. 

total savings.. 10.3 lbs. 

I'm not sure i'm keeping the rear plastics out. i drove the car without them and the noise is more than acceptable. 

once i decide they're out i will weight them as well. 

spacecadet
3/1/20 7:54 p.m.

second seat arrived this afternoon. 

went in MUCH smoother than the first one cause i actually had a clue what i was doing the second time around. 

spacecadet
3/1/20 8:01 p.m.

I also spent some time cleaning the wheels today. My roommate had his adams wheel cleaner out trying to get some dust off his FRS wheels. 

So i used it as well and after a few applications and working with the brush it all came out very well! 

spacecadet
3/1/20 10:22 p.m.

I need to buy a bathroom scale and get on it with a seat. But information online says each front seat weighs 53-55lbs. 

Shipped weight of each NRG seat was 20lbs. Buddy club Seat brackets are 13lbs shipped weight and the NRG seats shipped with steel brackets that i removed so i will weight those tomorrow to know what i pulled off. But my bet is that this brackets weight 5lbs per seat. So 25-30lbs weight savings per front seat on the car. Which is awesome. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
3/2/20 9:11 a.m.

great progress.  i just grabbed a pack of cheap Amazon fender fasteners for my front fender liner that's also hanging down like yours.  i'll let you know if they do the trick.

spacecadet said:

Turns out the stock shifter is the only one to use. The aftermarket ones for the 8th gen actually have design flaws and have cause trans failures I found out. 

i...did not know that.  i thought the hybrid racing unit was the jam?  what's going on, are they putting excess pressure on the shift forks or cables or something?  i guess i'm glad i've always been content with my stock shifter.

spacecadet
3/2/20 10:46 a.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

Victor and a few of the other guys from the FB group were were ta at COTA during SLB. Supposedly the Hybrid design has been improved now. But I'm pretty content with the stock one as well. So I'm not planning to switch.

1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 39

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jnDbyYlzSAOJK89z7yacFm5Zn0WbUWbxRMehkRcgZktvV15vngPCJqIFsOBwSH4m