1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 39
spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/20 9:07 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Moar brakes! Better than adequate braking makes me happy. You need to replace the master as well?

yes, i pulled a master cylinder off of a TL type S in the junkyard a few months back. and it is actually common to some accords as well. I posted that info and the part number somewhere back in the thread previously.

spacecadet
3/9/20 9:21 p.m.
spacecadet said:

My buddy called me the the King of Pick N Pull scores on book of faces today.

The amusing part was that I was returning from the junkyard today with a very solid score.

An Acura TL Type S automatic showed up at the local pick n pull last week but I didn't make anything of it till today.

I got a chance to go look at it today when I realized I should go try to snag the calipers and master cylinder.

Calipers had already be taken, but the master was there and the rotors were still there.

The Rotors were almost brand new! And they're coated ones, worth at least $80 for the pair.

I also found out today if you say you don't want warranty they'll knock the prices down! Normally the rotors are $10 plus core and the MC is $20 plus core.

MC run about $70-80 on rock auto. So a pretty fantastic haul today.

So a very productive week.

The Master cylinder is also used on some of the 05-07 accord and accord hybrids.

P/N 46100-SDB-A11

found the old post quoting to pull it into this portion of the thread. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/9/20 9:30 p.m.

I thought you did, I just didn't remember because I'm old and can't remember. laugh

Looking forward to the brakes and your experiences with them. 

spacecadet
3/9/20 11:15 p.m.

Also data point 

23.6lbs for a stock TL wheel aftermarket reproduction from wheelership. 

spacecadet
3/10/20 7:31 a.m.

I'm set to do my first HPDE with PCA at the end of the month. 

So Hazmat had to be inspected at the Porsche Dealer. 

Oh it gets better

They parked it next to the two 918 Spyders... 

The look of total WTF on the technicians faces as the service manager pulled it in was hilarious. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
3/10/20 7:35 a.m.

one of these things is not like the other, one of these things is not the same....

LOL.  priceless shot.

spacecadet
3/12/20 3:44 p.m.

So I started the Brembo install last night. 

Ran into a bunch of complications with wheels and I managed to ruin the threads on the front left caliper. I threaded it correctly, or so i thought. But it did not go well and cross threaded badly and is ruined... I have a new one coming and I got a new bolt from Acura today. 

But the front right caliper is on! 

We mocked it up on the left first, Just to see how it all went together because i pulled that caliper out of the box first. Yesterday to check that my bolts were correct. 

When I went to install the left caliper on that corner(not shown in photo), it all went wrong. But that's life and off the shelf components means I can get a new caliper super quickly. 

This is the write up I used as a guide for the install. 

http://mrnewt.ca/mods-SIbremboTLS.php

They made note the unibit will eat quickly. Yep... Sure does. 

Here's my tips from the drilling operation.

I bought the cheap $7 unibit from harbor freight and it worked great.

You are trying to get a 9/16" hole started. Run the bit as deep as you can to give the proper 9/16" drill bit the best starting hole you can. The proper drill bit will have a better hole to center in if you go as deep as your unibit allows. 

If you use a titanium drill bit and a medium level of speed you will be through the hole in less than 30 seconds. 

spacecadet
3/12/20 10:34 p.m.

New caliper is kinda ugly, but it was cheap and it went on without issue. 

Now to bleed the system this weekend and we will be rolling! 

spacecadet
3/13/20 9:50 p.m.

Many things happened today. 

G-LOC pads arrived, Spacers arrived. 

fitments were checked. 

Pad comparison.. yeah.. the new TL pads are SIGNIFICANTLY larger. more thermal mass.. this is good. 

spacers are hub centric and high quality brand that came recommended. I bought these exact ones off Amazon, but MAP Performance caries this brand. 

Eibach also makes spacers that are carried on the shelf at Summit if that's more to your liking. 

and the wheels now mount up with no clearance issues! 

spacecadet
3/14/20 6:03 p.m.

Bled the calipers this morning by myself. Mounted up the spacers and got 2 tires mounted! 

spacecadet
3/16/20 9:28 a.m.

Rebled the brakes yesterday and the pedal got a lot better. 

Drove around last night and got used to the brakes as they are now. They are really similar to the Traccord right now. The top of the pedal does nothing and then the brakes engage about a 1/3 of the way into the travel. 

I knew going in this master cyl was undersized for these calipers. But it's certainly not undrivable on the street. I could probably autox the car like this, just like i did the Accord last year. 

I still plan on installing the used TL master cyl sitting in my garage. 

But I drove it to work today since i was confident in the brakes. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
3/16/20 1:51 p.m.

love the progress man.  those TL wheels are 17x8, correct?  been on the hunt for a set of 07-08 split-spokes myself.

spacecadet
3/16/20 9:18 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

Yep 17x8 et45

You will need at least a 10mm spacer on top of the s2000 rotor to run these wheels with the TL brakes on the Civic. Or a spacer behind the rotor. I am working on designing my own behind the rotor spacer and having it made by a Machinist buddy. 

spacecadet
3/17/20 9:55 p.m.

My roll bar arrived today! 

I got a call at work from the freight company trying to coordinate delivery tomorrow. 

I asked them to get permission for me to try and come pick it up tonight from their dock. 

Autopower gave the OK and so I swung by.

I expected the bar to be in a box. But it was loose, which made me happy and that i thought i had a great chance of getting it in the car. 

It took a bunch of work, but an employee of the freight company and I got the bar into the car. 

I got the bar in and headed home with no regard for how it would come out. 

But with how we got it in through the trunk, I was betting that pulling part of the structure around the rear seat pass through that I would pull the bar back out no issue. 

Sure enough I was right. 

Came out no issue in less than 5 minutes. 

spacecadet
3/20/20 11:37 a.m.

Well.. with One Lap now officially cancelled the project will shift.. now it's just track prep.. for sometime this late spring/summer to go to a track day. 

spacecadet
3/24/20 11:25 p.m.

My back brace and the camber bolts I ordered arrived today....

I now have all the parts i wanted for this first phase of track prep. 

My coworker has also lent me a fender roller. So rolling the fenders is on my plate for the weekend... 

spacecadet
3/27/20 10:37 a.m.

I had to go to my office today and on the way there the AC stopped blowing cold. 

I'm guessing it's the relay. Will start doing diagnostics during lunch today. 

spacecadet
3/27/20 3:57 p.m.

Confirmed when I left the office that the clutch was not engaging on the AC. Will work on diagnosing it tomorrow. 

spacecadet
3/28/20 9:50 p.m.

Today was a great day prepping Hazmat to go to the track tomorrow. Which was totally not what i planned to today. Because I got a message late last night from a friend asking if I wanted to come out as his guest to MSRC this weekend. 

Declined for Saturday because miata making pop still from front end and civic needed work to be ready. 

Sooooo I promptly slept in till 1030, chilled for 3 hours and then got my crap together in a mad scramble this evening to get the car ready. 

Reinstalled the driver seat which took 10 minutes because I've done it so many times now. 

Ran over to NTB and dropped the rear tires to be mounted while i ran to O'Reillys for a new relay

New AC relay fixed my AC issue. Back to blowing ice cubes..

Rear tires mounted up without issue 

Side by side comparison of the tires i had on vs the PS4S now on it. 

On paper a 20mm difference.. 

With the extra inch of wheel stretching the tire a bit.. probably closer to 35mm increased with.. 

Went for a test drive to really try to work the suspension and rubbing really became noticable. 

So fender liner trimming and fender rolling commenced

Which as a side note requires removing the caliper because the Eastwood fender roller would hit it otherwise. 

I just unbolted the caliper and unbolted the brake line from the strut and laid the caliper on the ground. 

Stock passenger fender

Rolled driver side

Trimmed the fender liner to leave the front part to try and help keep water put of the airbox on the driver side and I matched it on the passenger side.

I got overly aggressive with the fender roller... The fender isn't supposed to be standing proud of the door.. whoops.. 

SEND IT. 

Also got the G-LOC R10 front pads in.. which barely fit at 13mm thick.. G-LOC gave me all the pad they possibly could. 

Bolted it all back together and took it for a drive. HOLY CRAP do these brakes BITE. 

I've never felt this kind of braking in my life.. 

I do still need to put the upgraded master cyl on to make modulatiom better. but good Lord.. brakes arent lacking anything in stopping power right now.

I did not put the brake air deflectors on yet just because I couldn't find my zip tie supply and didn't feel like going out to deal with general public to get them.... LoL

Car is ready to go drive tomorrow. i am so excited to get out of the house. 

spacecadet
3/29/20 10:27 a.m.

Time to do track rat things in my track car. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/29/20 12:24 p.m.

Good thing you have track rat friends. 

spacecadet
3/29/20 3:59 p.m.

Car did flawlessly today. 

Two 30 minute sessions and it didn't flinch. 

Headed home now. Will write up how the day went once I decompress some. 

spacecadet
3/29/20 8:42 p.m.

Ok, little write up on today. 

In my rush to get the car ready yesterday i mounted up rear tires that were freshy fresh.. and had the mold release still on them... I was aware of this . But it wasn't until i made the first turn on the track from pit out and the rear end tried to come around on me that i got a wake up call on it. 

Tires were a little squirly for a lap to so.. and then i was able to settle in and get the car under me.

I drove the piss out of the car for the full session and had a off during my 13th lap.. of 18 laps. 

My best lap was 16.

1:32.964

Car didn't flinch during the 30 minutes of abuse. 

Came back in expecting the worst from the front tires.. and was genuinely surprised they weren't destroyed. 

I have literally NO camber right now. I guess the work Seth did with me last year working on not scrubbing while turning is actually working. 

If you look at the sidewall you can see where it was rubbing the back edge of the front bumper mount. Once I add camber.. clearances should be fine. 

Went out for my second session mentally prepared for it. I knew what marks I wanted to hit and where i thought time could be shaved. The big win of the session was downshifting to 3rd on the entry of big bend and then pinning the throttle wide open. 

But I made lots of small changes over the whole lap and was rewarded with the 1:31.935. 

Which I'm pleased with. Why? 

Because last time Seth and Brian came here in Brian's Civic on One Lap 2018. Brian's fastest flying lap in his Civic was a 1:32.3. 

So hazmat is already making huge headway on speed. We are on the right heading. 

And the brakes were unflappable. I have worked on my braking to brake firmly and quickly releasing as soon as i can to try and minimize heat into them and maximizing speed. But these brakes have no cooling mods done yet and they didn't care... They did awesome. 

But this... THIS is the most important picture.. Hazmat back home safe and sound... 

30 HARD laps at MSRC and not a hiccup. I love this car, it has continued to impress me. And with the TL wheels i absolutely love how it looks. There are lots of fun times ahead. 

Also side note.. it's a THIRSTY car on track.. it drank rougly 6 and a half gallons of fuel for 49 miles on track.. to the tune of 7 ish MPG.... 

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/30/20 7:04 a.m.
spacecadet said:

I got overly aggressive with the fender roller... The fender isn't supposed to be standing proud of the door.. whoops.. 

SEND IT. 

Just think of it like a mini box flare - which we all know makes everything awesome-er. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
3/30/20 3:43 p.m.

love it man.  great to hear your brake upgrade was up to the task!  i think with some added front camber its going to really hang on in turns.  

i still get a big kick out of this grody-ass old pizza delivery beater becoming a little track demon.  my favorite kind of underdog story.

1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 39

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZffKyscvweAoaZ3uxQl5k3g9IY9a6zI74jqScK0wmR9F0O0TaYoYCj0nq227hAZT