1 ... 36 37 38 39
spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/20 10:04 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

There are a bunch of things to do to the K24 before it slots in, and you're basically a K motor expert now, which should make all of that a walk in the park. Awesome job.

The only thing I'm for sure an expert in... Is knowing when to say that's enough.. 

K24 with stock internals with cams on top? Absolutely. But i never wanna take the rockers off one of these motors ever again. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/11/20 9:32 a.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

There are a bunch of things to do to the K24 before it slots in, and you're basically a K motor expert now, which should make all of that a walk in the park. Awesome job.

The only thing I'm for sure an expert in... Is knowing when to say that's enough.. 

K24 with stock internals with cams on top? Absolutely. But i never wanna take the rockers off one of these motors ever again. 

LOL this makes me smile. 

5/13/20 4:07 p.m.

Ok, put 150 miles on the car Monday. It sat yesterday because it rained and i didn't feel like working outside on the car. 

Went out today and drained the oil. 

Also discovered that there was coolant on the bottom of the oil pan and it was coming from somewhere on the front. I haven't been able to figure out where yet. 

But this gives me hope that the car has been burping and the coolant loss is from this unknown external place. 

I will start to dig more into that over the next week. 

New oil went in today and i need to put miles on the car now to see if the milkshake gets worse or is better than before. 

If the milkshake continues to get better.. then we can start to assume the head gasket solved the issue. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
5/14/20 10:51 a.m.
Number1Gaza said:

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Nice progress!  No visible issues other than the head gasket then?

So on the k20, the rocker arms cover up the head bolts I'm guessing?  

This is a great design feature Honda carried over from the early F2xx series engines into the K series. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
5/14/20 10:53 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

This is essentially what the 9th gen Civics that ran in IMSAs ST class had for engine. K24z7 bottem end with a K20 head. Not a simple plug and play but easy enough to do now that you're becoming an expert. 

5/14/20 12:34 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

go figure on the IMSA cars, I heard that was a thing, but didn't know it was done on those cars.

so my comment was more to the effect of taking a K24a2 out of a TSX and then putting CAMs on that and not taking the head off the motor. 

dealing with the rockers is a PITA and I'd like to never take the head off one of these motors again. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
5/14/20 3:10 p.m.

Also discovered that there was coolant on the bottom of the oil pan and it was coming from somewhere on the front. I haven't been able to figure out where yet. 

maybe a water pump seep?  is it at the side of the block or more towards the middle?

also see if you can get a view at the front of the block under the intake mani.  i hate to say this because its awful luck, but i've seen talk that K20's aren't immune to cracked blocks.  seems to be mostly in the water pump tract (when you take the pump off, those passages) or in the coolant jacket at the front near the starter.  its a totally stupid thing and there doesn't seem to be a lot of ryhme or reason why it happens....but i'm seeing more and more posts on the FB groups about it.  i had always assumed that was something that only happened to the R18's in the standard 8th gen.

5/17/20 1:13 p.m.

Hazmat is up for sale on the cars for sale sub forum. 

I can park this car for a while and come back to it later. or someone can take it and run with it now. 

Number1Gaza
Number1Gaza GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/17/20 4:25 p.m.

Sad if it sells but if someone here takes it off your hands I suppose it softens the blow.  life comes first, cars are a hobby.  

5/17/20 4:44 p.m.

It's just about to become a lot harder to work on it. 

And the whole moving and 5 other balls to juggle in my life just forced me to see if there's a buyer out there so i can focus on the rest of my life and let someone else go do fun things with this car. 

I love it and it was hard to write an ad. But either the right buyer is going to find it and we'll make a deal..or they aren't and hazmat goes down for a nap for a bit while I sort out the rest of my life. 

5_MHz_FTW
5_MHz_FTW New Reader
5/17/20 6:57 p.m.

Long time lurker, first-time poster

Been following this car since day one.

Fellow 8th gen owner same color 07 same mileage

Sad to see this situation but I understand 110%.

I literally lose sleep every night about this same situation.. this is my only car and I'm prepping it for h street.

Is there anything you would do differently to prevent the engine block crack. I know its really rare but I like to worry a lot. I  just ordered OEM blue coolant and the car has an excellent service history with coolant flushes.

Do you have any recommendation at all.. this car has already been a straight punch to nuts as far as working on it (coming from owning 2 Integra's.) I almost want to sell mine now

GLWS if you end up letting her go.. at least you can do a k24.. I would be stuck getting another junky k20z3 block (with its condition unknown) for street class :(

5/17/20 7:02 p.m.

In reply to 5_MHz_FTW :

I have no idea if the block on my car is cracked.

There's nothing you can do to prevent it. 

5_MHz_FTW
5_MHz_FTW New Reader
5/17/20 7:08 p.m.

Ohhh that's good I thought I read earlier you thought it might be. my bad.

Thank you my friend, I will sleep that more soundly tonight!

Do you want mine it's stock and would be like hitting the reset button for you..

5/17/20 7:10 p.m.

In reply to 5_MHz_FTW :

Your car? No I'm not in the market for another 8th gen. If this one sells it will be a bit before I buy another car. 

5_MHz_FTW
5_MHz_FTW New Reader
5/17/20 7:14 p.m.

I joke haha...

I just thought it was funny because our cars were almost carbon copies of each other. Except I didn't get Dominos pizza man discount on mine. 

At least you have a sweet miata haha.. I'd take one of those

5/17/20 8:15 p.m.

FINE goddamn bastards gotta guilt trip me... 

I got a couple messages of sadness.. and guilt.... 

It stays.. i just need to get off my ass and find out what's wrong. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
5/18/20 8:25 a.m.

So is the car fixed or is it still mixing oil/coolant?

5/18/20 8:33 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

We're currently in the state of 

Schrodinger's head Gasket

maybe its berkeleyed... maybe it's ok.. 

it's drivable.. makes great power... but i need to flush the oil one more time before i definitively say.. the oil and coolant are mixing.. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
5/18/20 1:32 p.m.

FINE goddamn bastards gotta guilt trip me... 

I got a couple messages of sadness.. and guilt.... 

It stays.. 

but seriously, wish i was closer, would love to help out if i could.  best of luck with the new jerb and move, gotta take care of the priorities first.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
5/18/20 4:31 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

That gif sums up my feelings as well.

5/18/20 10:57 p.m.

that GIF is kinda how i felt... 

like it was hard to put it up the first place.. then i had people saying things to me and being sad.. and i'm like... berkeley if i dont finish this.. and see this thing through.. i'm gonna hate myself.. 

well... it's just money... 

Proceeds to light savings account on fire... (actually not really, not YET)

6/6/20 4:34 p.m.

hazmat loaded onto the trailer for the trip south. 

6/7/20 12:40 a.m.

Car towed without issue to my new place. 

we towed slow and easy and but it still took us longer than it was supposed to thanks to a shutdown of I-35 in Austin due to what I can only assume was protesting because of the sher number of police cars and the helicopter with spotlight in the air circling... 

so minor detour through downtown Austin over to south Congress and we avoided the shutdown and were on our way. 

car is packed from floor to ceiling. 

the stock wheels are in it

the stock passenger seat is laid flat with the stock driver seat on top of it and the other race seat on top of that and the backseat pieces on top of that, 2 miata 14 steelies with westlakes were also in the car as well as the stock compact spare and the stock truck floor and tool kit.. 

not too shabby.. 

Any vehicle that doubles as a storage shed is a plus in my book. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/7/20 5:48 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Which reminds me of one of my favorite dad jokes in a round about way. 

Why does a chicken coop have two doors? 

Because if it had four it would be a chicken sedan......

So spacecadet clearly has a storage coop. laugh

1 ... 36 37 38 39

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JZRpRTL7Qm8c4WV1DcakXvyU0RFtEy0w55DGzEhwn1h8W0YJPxcZBdnuSyglsdD2