1 ... 5 6 7 8
HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
2/7/12 9:03 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Drives nice. Front end is tight and feels great even with original struts/springs.

I dare say the stock struts are better than any of the aftermarket replacements. The stock struts aren't gas charged however.

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
2/7/12 10:05 a.m.

Wow. Good clean job. My Saturn build was not even close to clean. then my build wasn't designed to be pretty, or last.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
2/7/12 10:16 a.m.

I think I see your problem there, your lap times will go way up when you have less than a foot of toe in.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
2/7/12 3:28 p.m.

I just got a Curt 1.25" hitch installed, and got a cargo basket for it. Instant station wagon.

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
2/9/12 7:07 p.m.

The internets are all wrong. The H&R Race springs are quite wonderful on KYB GR-2s. I wish I has bought them a long time ago. Maybe the GR-2s just suck with the stock springs.

And from the look of my rear end, they'd be just fine on a wagon too. Now to try them with the 245/40R17s...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
2/9/12 8:27 p.m.

are they not super stiff though?

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
2/9/12 9:20 p.m.

No, I really like how they feel. I'd say, just firm enough. So far I've only driven a few dozen miles around typical West Michigan roads with 185/65R14 X-Ices on 14x6 rims. My only other Saturn lowering spring experience was with Eibachs on my 1995 SW2 which were utterly horrible.

I didn't try the 17" tires tonight. The rim protector was rubbing on the strut, so I took the wheel off and removed the offending rubber instead (I had already done this with the other tire.) I also rechecked the fitment all around. I might get a square set of these though they also come in a 17x7 +40mm which would probably be better for performance.

FWIW: the little X-Ices are absolutely horrible on the front end--they give up longitudinal traction completely way too easily.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
2/13/12 10:14 p.m.

interesting info on spring setups. thanks

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
3/9/12 9:25 p.m.

The SW2 has been hitched.

Cleaned it all up and bolted it on.

Might test it out this weekend.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
3/9/12 11:31 p.m.

so, how do you like the OBX exhaust on a daily basis for the past month? my exhaust is on its last legs, so im looking at replacements. for the 20 premium, its definately appealing.

michael

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
3/12/12 11:50 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: so, how do you like the OBX exhaust on a daily basis for the past month? my exhaust is on its last legs, so im looking at replacements. for the 20 premium, its definately appealing. michael

in the wagon, to be blunt, its got a lot of boom to it. Its loud. I will be working on quieting it.

Fitment is not bad. I need to add a hanger to keep it more steady. You might not have that problem.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
3/13/12 9:18 a.m.

I have exactly that problem. The section that goes over the rear subframe rests on the rear subframe, no matter how I tweak the hangers and clamps and joints. You really get what you pay for with that system. And despite being stainless steel, mine has little rust spots all over it already. And it sounds good for around town, but it starts to wear on you after like 3 hrs. on the highway.

I'm not sure if I'd buy it again. For this much trouble, I could've bought a glasspack and muffler from Summit, and had Midas bend pipes and install it for the same money and less aggravation. It would be crush-bent, not mandrel, and mild steel instead of SS, but I don't know...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
3/13/12 7:59 p.m.

Its not the rear subframe that hits, that was solved but cutting the bit after the cat a bit short. This hits end of the tunnel.

Im just gonna take it to a muffler shop and have em do it. done with messing with it.

Geodesiq
Geodesiq None
3/18/12 12:00 p.m.

Great job. I want to do something similar but 5-spd SW2s are getting hard to find. You got 6 Mini wheels for $100.??? Where? How much oil does it use?

If anyone knows of a 95-01 SW2 5-spd for sale in the east please let me know.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
3/18/12 8:48 p.m.
Geodesiq wrote: . You got 6 Mini wheels for $100.??? Where? How much oil does it use?

got the wheels on craigslist. lots of em cheap actually. mine came from Columbus and my gf brought em to cleveland coming home from break. it was a win win

Oil usage? ill let you know. 1/5 quart every now and then? Ill track it but its not horrid

Geodesiq
Geodesiq New Reader
3/21/12 12:21 p.m.

Let me know when you want to sell.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
3/21/12 12:52 p.m.

Have pics of the car with wheels and tires mounted been posted yet?

Geodesiq wrote: Great job. I want to do something similar but 5-spd SW2s are getting hard to find. You got 6 Mini wheels for $100.??? Where? How much oil does it use? If anyone knows of a 95-01 SW2 5-spd for sale in the east please let me know.

Where in the east are you? I see 5 Spd wagons all the time. I just sold a well modded one for $2K. Also, its very cheap and straightforward to do a manual swap on one.

Geodesiq
Geodesiq New Reader
3/21/12 1:29 p.m.

Where in the east are you? I see 5 Spd wagons all the time. I just sold a well modded one for $2K. Also, its very cheap and straightforward to do a manual swap on one.

Easton, PA (near Allentown/Bethlehem). I check CL & ebay regularly and they are few & far between. I would appreciate a heads up if you see one. Or something similar - hatch or wagon, 5-spd. Thanks.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
4/14/12 8:27 a.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: As a short term cheap solution, you could get a couple of those rubber donut coil spacers and stick them in your rear springs. That should help prevent some sagging, and firm up the ride a little. We used them on all four corners of the $2004 Challenge SL2.

I have seen a bunch of variations of this. You got a link for the donuts you used?

Also, can i lower the front of the car and leave the rear at stock height? seems like it should work as the rear is already level to the front, almost looks slightly lower so if i lower the front an inch then the rear will be only slightly higher.

Right?

Now who has a set of front lowering springs?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
7/9/12 9:41 p.m.

Well its been on the road around 6 months now and here are some figures. Was hoping for a bit better though but whatcha gonna do...

• 7805 Miles since i started driving.

• 841.02 spent on gas

• 32.863 MPG average

• apx. 10.7 cents per mile to drive

I have kept every fuel receipt since i started driving and calculate MPG every tank.

Also as a side note, i also took it bone stock to a local auto cross...

I forget the class i was in but i got 3rd place By george though you can throw that thing around. Understeers like a mofo when pushed too hard. and will get all sorts a crazy with throttle lift oversteer or some late braking.

Fun stuff.

Matthew Huizing
Matthew Huizing Reader
7/10/12 5:55 a.m.

Swapping to the thinner front sway bar from a SOHC S-series can reduce the understeer.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
7/10/12 7:19 a.m.

I heart wagons!

Geodesiq
Geodesiq New Reader
7/11/12 9:30 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I heart wagons!

Me too! Still lookin'.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
7/11/12 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Geodesiq:

I just got one last week over in INDY. Once I get it up and running I will post a couple pics.

CarKid got any pics with the Mini wheels on it?

Geodesiq
Geodesiq New Reader
7/19/12 8:22 p.m.

In reply to Billy_Bottle_Caps:

There's a '95 in Lake Worth, FL if anyone's interested. Looks like a great project car but it's too far for me. http://www.carsunder3000.com/inventory/view/5280296

Carkid: 32.8 mpg is that mixed city/hwy?

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nwfwlpKZGEO7AcWLfC9M9jWlx0MKvnwtHlaTl46h723Pwy68s2WKEoa9HLZHuYhE