1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 32
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/20/17 2:43 p.m.

I pray that it never gets painted. That thing is the Two Lane Blacktop 55 incarnate.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
12/21/17 5:13 a.m.

Day 69 - February 12, 2017

Mocked up core support. Started mounting the intercoolers. Welded anchor points in the frame. Modified core support to accommodate relocated subframe.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
12/21/17 5:15 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

At this point in the build we were planning to not paint it. Now that we have a nice shiny fiberglass front end on the car, it is going to be difficult not to paint the car.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/21/17 6:34 a.m.

Why dual intercoolers? 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/21/17 6:40 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Why dual intercoolers? 

My bet is cost to effectiveness ratio. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
12/21/17 6:56 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Why dual intercoolers? 

My bet is cost to effectiveness ratio. 

Bingo. Plus they were sitting on the shelf.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
12/22/17 5:08 a.m.

Day 70 - February 15, 2017

Added struts to intercooler mount. Began making radiator shroud. Radiator was cheap because previous owner said it leaked. We checked it, and could not find any. Relocated petcock on radiator.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/22/17 9:13 a.m.

You should take a vacation to ohio and teach me how to tig aluminum properly.  And help me push the pile back into the garage so i can start sheetmetal work.  I’m losing motivation, been sick in bed for almost 2 weeks with pneumonia, finally getting back to feeling 60-70%.  

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
12/22/17 10:35 a.m.
Patrick said:

You should take a vacation to ohio and teach me how to tig aluminum properly.  And help me push the pile back into the garage so i can start sheetmetal work.  I’m losing motivation, been sick in bed for almost 2 weeks with pneumonia, finally getting back to feeling 60-70%.  

The above welds were not mine. I'm still learning myself. It is a difficult material to weld. Exhausting too.

Hope you are back to 100% soon!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
12/23/17 9:42 a.m.

Day 71 - February 18, 2017

Started on fan shroud. Started making gas pedal mount.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
12/24/17 7:43 a.m.

Day 72 - February 20, 2017

Continued work on radiator shroud.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/24/17 8:39 a.m.

That makes a lot more sense now. I'm used to a shroud being just the part after the radiator that the fans are attached too. I was kind of curious how it was all going to go together. Clever. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
12/24/17 9:31 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

That makes a lot more sense now. I'm used to a shroud being just the part after the radiator that the fans are attached too. I was kind of curious how it was all going to go together. Clever. 

Yeah. I guess calling it a fan shroud was not the best verbiage.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/2/18 7:49 a.m.

Alright, back to work!

Day 73 - February 25, 2017

Modified stock alternator bracket. Started work on the intercooler tubing. Denny helped us with welding. I tig welded my first piece of aluminum.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/3/18 5:34 a.m.

Day 74 - February 26, 2017

continued welding boost tubing. Welded shroud.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/4/18 5:28 a.m.

Day 75 - March 4, 2017

Began making passengers side turbo exhaust pipe.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/18 7:21 a.m.

That exhaust is bitchin'. I love these daily build thread updates. Best part of my morning.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
1/4/18 8:57 a.m.

Really cool that you're learning to tig weld with this project.  As mentioned, this is a great build thread.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/4/18 9:51 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

That exhaust is bitchin'. I love these daily build thread updates. Best part of my morning.

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/4/18 9:53 a.m.
pres589 said:

Really cool that you're learning to tig weld with this project.  As mentioned, this is a great build thread.

Thanks! Yeah. I've gotten to the point with steel that I am going for looks now. I am very comfortable with it. Aluminum on the other hand, we still get into fights every so often. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/5/18 5:07 a.m.

Day 76 - March 5, 2017

Made drivers side turbo exhaust.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
1/5/18 5:48 a.m.
TheV8Kid said:
pres589 said:

Thanks! Yeah. I've gotten to the point with steel that I am going for looks now. I am very comfortable with it. Aluminum on the other hand, we still get into fights every so often. 

Are you purging the boost pipes when you TIG them?

Also, you mention that as far as the welding duties are concerned, if it is TIG you are doing it and if it is MIG your dad is doing it. How do you draw the distinction where you pick one process over the other? I TIGed most of my welds when doing body-work until I got a good MIG, and I have to say I have not touched the TIG since.  

The convenience of the MIG is so great compared to the TIG  and I can't think of a situation where the TIG would have given a better structural result for the effort.  Except for aluminum; and I say that not having tried a spoolgun to weld aluminum with the MIG

Pete

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/5/18 2:38 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

No. No purging when welding the tubing.

Generally we decide to TIG it if we are going for cosmetics. That or it is aluminum. We don't use our Aluminum MIG welder, but we do have one.

I have not gotten good enough to do a cage yet, but we will do that someday with the TIG. So for now cages are MIGed. 

It varies weld to weld. Practice makes perfect, so sometimes even though I may not feel like it, we will TIG just so I can get some practice.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/5/18 2:53 p.m.

Amazing project, love watching it progress.  Extremely jealous that you are in your garage in a flannel shirt, while we all freeze in our garages :-)

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/5/18 6:53 p.m.
dherr said:

Amazing project, love watching it progress.  Extremely jealous that you are in your garage in a flannel shirt, while we all freeze in our garages :-)

It's a game changer. It was 8 degrees today without wind chill.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 32

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6PcvFzl5jSpH2B9t9AGDnKsHatkcp7MUT7x8KODNM7TvgpQqgi70WpoyDbLRCOn8