1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 32
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
11/9/17 8:16 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

I’m pretty sure you guys could build a faster car in 5 days than I could with 100 days so I’m a little concerned. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/10/17 5:16 a.m.

Day 10 - October 28, 2016

Patched in all the gaps in the left side wheel tub.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/10/17 5:23 a.m.

Day 11 - October 29, 2016

Started work on right inner.

​​​​​

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/11/17 6:44 a.m.

Day 12 - October 30, 2016

Prepare right inner wheel well.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/11/17 6:51 a.m.

Day 13 - October 31, 2016

Finished right wheel tub. Ground welds on wheel tubs. Primed.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/11/17 7:20 a.m.

Do you guys use a spray bomb primer for small stuff like this or do you load up a gun? 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/11/17 8:00 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

For the small stuff, we use Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer in spray cans. Light coats to prevent runs.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/11/17 11:04 a.m.

Golly, this is fantastic!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/11/17 12:20 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

Golly, this is fantastic!

Thanks! It gets better.

ClemCougarSparks
ClemCougarSparks PowerDork
11/11/17 10:04 p.m.

I'm in for updates!  Looking great.  I'm super excited to see the fab tricks.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/17 9:36 a.m.
wheels777 said: We are anxious to run boost. 

This is going to be like Dylan discovering electricity.

I skipped this thread for weeks, because I thought it was was a zombie thread of a former PACC project. Do I remember correctly, a Nelson owned Nova that was sold off before much work ensued because an offer that couldn't be refused was made? Regardless, It is really appreciated that all you fine folks would take time out of your busy schedules to take us to school. I'll be watching intently.

Also, was Chevy good enough to leave room for the mini tubs without having to move the rear frame rails? Looks like a sizeable amount of room for meats was gained back there. 

Edit, I looked again, and saw the rear rails being cut and patched. No more questions. for now.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/12/17 11:25 a.m.

Day 14 - November 2, 2016

Tire fit test and rearend measurements.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/12/17 11:33 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

The secret's out of the bag now. Y'all draw much better diagrams than I do. That must be the difference. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/12/17 11:40 a.m.

Day 15 - November 6, 2016

Cut brackets off of rear and started fabbing link brackets.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/12/17 12:47 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:
wheels777 said: We are anxious to run boost. 

This is going to be like Dylan discovering electricity.

I skipped this thread for weeks, because I thought it was was a zombie thread of a former PACC project. Do I remember correctly, a Nelson owned Nova that was sold off before much work ensued because an offer that couldn't be refused was made? Regardless, It is really appreciated that all you fine folks would take time out of your busy schedules to take us to school. I'll be watching intently.

Also, was Chevy good enough to leave room for the mini tubs without having to move the rear frame rails? Looks like a sizeable amount of room for meats was gained back there. 

Edit, I looked again, and saw the rear rails being cut and patched. No more questions. for now.

You are quoting what happened to the first Challenge Nova. We built it for the $2003 event and was offered stupid $, so it was sold. 

The black 1977 Nova that showed up in $2004 was our first event. That car was eventually junked. 

This thread is Challenge Nova 3.0 according the me because it's the 3rd Nova built for the Challenge. However Fuzzy is calling it 2.0 because it will be the second Nova we bring to the big event. 

Ultimately, it is being built now/today and was not sold. It is being publically shared to Hopefully calm some hostility. There will still be a lot of that. We bought the shell for $50 and shared that info when it happened. Then, we picked up a fiberglass front end for $100 at the flea market. One of the many reasons we are able to do low buck builds is do in part to having multiple barns. If we get stalled on a part, we push the car out of the way and wait till a budget friendly solution arrives. Plus, we buy stuff when we don't need it and it eventually cycles into a build. I probably have (16) sets of aftermarket axles. The most expensive set from the flea market was $80. We have (15) 9" spools - all cheap from the flea market when you don't need them. The Nova is being built around a set of axles and spool. Two weeks ago I found another set with identical dimensions.  Many of our competitors have realized the benefits of our "stash". We sell the stuff at the price we buy it at. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/12/17 1:05 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

I wouldn't worry about the haters. You guys do things right and it's because you're a nice guy that the haters bother you. I couldn't see anyone meeting you in person and not understanding the kind of guy you are and how your whole family is. 

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
11/12/17 2:05 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Still trying to explain to SWMBO that I'm not buying stuff I don't need, I'm buying stuff I just don't need yet. 

I'm really looking forward to getting to play with all of you in Gainesville some time. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/12/17 3:40 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:

Day 14 - November 2, 2017

Tire fit test and rearend measurements.

hopefully this doesn't derail things too much, and please don't view this as being a... derogatory comment, but this seems like the most relevant place to ask the following question:
why do drag cars/racers usually cut in towards the center of the car in order to fit "wide meats" vs. cutting the outer fender and adding flares ala Dusterbd13?

Is this a classing thing?  A "it's better for the rear axles" thing?

Watching some of the drag week coverage, I was struck by how this seems relatively common amongst drag cars, and seems to provoke some lateral... er, um, side-to-side... instability that would/could be overcome with the wider stance.  Clearly, I am missing something?

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/12/17 3:53 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Less axle weight.

Less housing deflection.

Less frontal Area

Less yaw rotation with a tire slip.

Lower stance

Lower CG needed with higher HP

Lower Aero Drag numbers

Looks better (If its not a Gasser...Love me some Gassers!!)

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/12/17 4:02 p.m.
Crackers said:

In reply to wheels777 :

Still trying to explain to SWMBO that I'm not buying stuff I don't need, I'm buying stuff I just don't need yet. 

I'm really looking forward to getting to play with all of you in Gainesville some time. 

Good luck with the spouse....my bride knew what she was getting into...and has been a big part of our successes...

We look forward to you getting to the Big Event too!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/17 9:40 p.m.
wheels777 said:

In reply to sleepyhead :

Less axle weight.

Less housing deflection.

Less frontal Area

Less yaw rotation with a tire slip.

Lower stance

Lower CG needed with higher HP

Lower Aero Drag numbers

Looks better (If its not a Gasser...Love me some Gassers!!)

less external bodywork too.  flares are cool, building them over and over is not. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/13/17 5:16 a.m.

Day 16 - November 7, 2016

Welded lower 4 link bars.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/13/17 5:25 a.m.

Day 17 - November 9, 2016

Made pieces for upper  and lower 4 link mounts. Lower 4 link bars will mount on the original leaf spring mounts.

​​

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/13/17 5:40 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Torque = Force x Radius

A lot of times what you are seeing when a car is not going straight on a drag strip is tire spin. Sometimes both tires start spinning at the same time. Most of the time they don't immediately. Thus one tire is spinning and the other is not. A force with a tangential component is being applied at a certain distance from the center of the car ie torque. This torque pushes the car to left or right, depending on which tire is still getting traction. The further away from the center that the tire is, the more torque will be applied given by the above formula. The more torque applied the more it will steer the car.

This is all assuming the car has a locked differential.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/13/17 6:53 a.m.

Did you guys narrow this housing? Any pictures of that process if you did? 

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 32

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mLksftmGgRCF12sej3FYltN9iSq8yCjZUhi5clqqiXkeULpodLlFIhyDA4lznUwX