1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/15/17 4:11 p.m.

Maybe I just need to go to the junkyard and look around until I find what I want.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/15/17 4:17 p.m.

Something like this is what I had in mind originally 

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
11/15/17 4:37 p.m.

My other thought then, is to make a small block off plate that is attached to, and moves with the link and fits tight  against the rear bulkhead. Of course that will probably require a little shaping of the bulkhead, as it would have to be equidistant to the axle mount through the range of motion. Possibly with a small retaining lip on the back. 

Depending on your opening you could probably use the mounting flange off an oval trailer light as a gasket. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/15/17 5:33 p.m.

Why not box in the whole link area in making the first part where they attach removable?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/17 5:52 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:
bluej said:
TheV8Kid said:
bluej said:

Will you end up boxing the body around the upper links?

No. Perhaps this is an area that the forum could help on. We need some sort of shift boot that we could use to fill the void. We would like it to be sealed off, but still able to adjust the bars from the inside of the car. I have thought about making some sort slider to accomplish the task, but I'm open to other ideas.

You could box in the rear 3/4's of the area occupied by the links w/in the original body interior, leaving just the front area open where you need access to the link mount. Constructed carefully, you might be able to use a cheap/throwaway rubber boots that fits snugly to the link and the open forward end if the boxed area. Really, it could go as far back as the play in the boot allows.

This is what I was picturing. Does anyone know of any long and skinny type shifter boots that could be found cheap?

Look at 4x4 pickup transfer case shift boots.

vwfreek
vwfreek Reader
11/15/17 6:40 p.m.

Porsche 944 automatic. Lots of travel, and the leather will impress the judges.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
11/15/17 8:33 p.m.

Shift boot from a medium or heavy duty truck will do the job.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/16/17 5:17 a.m.

In reply to vwfreek :

That looks about right. Not sure where I'd find 2 of those in the junkyard.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/16/17 5:22 a.m.

Day 22 - November 19, 2016

Installed upper 4 link bracket onto rearend housing. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/16/17 5:27 a.m.

Day 23 - November 21, 2016

Started making upper rear shock mounts.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/16/17 8:30 a.m.
Don49 said:

Shift boot from a medium or heavy duty truck will do the job.

This is what I had in mind. Ones from manual rangers should be plentiful:

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
11/16/17 5:49 p.m.

LOL...we're all commenting on how to finish the link area on a car that was built a year ago. I suspect Andrew and Calvin have already figured it out and have pictures to be shared in due time.laugh

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/16/17 7:58 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

LOL...we're all commenting on how to finish the link area on a car that was built a year ago. I suspect Andrew and Calvin have already figured it out and have pictures to be shared in due time.laugh

As much as I would love to have it figured out, we legitimately do not. laughThis project has been full of twists and turns. We get so far on it, and then find a part (or don't find a part) that changes everything. It's been one of those projects. The front end was one of those, "changes everything" parts.

We're not afraid to put a set of homemade headers on the shelf, if it is not going to get us where we want to go. I keep questioning whether I should show all the detours in this project. There are a few, and my dad and I were talking about taking another one just a few minutes ago.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/16/17 8:00 p.m.

The 4x4 transfer case shift boot from a second generation geo tracker would be perfect for your link seals.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/16/17 8:02 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

The 4x4 transfer case shift boot from a second generation geo tracker would be perfect for your link seals.

I think I've seen those in junkyards. I will have to look one up.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/16/17 8:08 p.m.

We used one for the shift boot in the amc. Only reason I know. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/17/17 12:06 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

I'm smart as berkeley.

Fixed

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/17/17 5:27 a.m.

Day 24 - November 22, 2016

Upper rear shock mounts and Panhard mount.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/17/17 5:31 a.m.

Day 25 - November 24, 2016

Worked on chassis mount for pan hard bar.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/17/17 7:25 a.m.

What I think is interesting is all the different places where you have adjusting points. Shows how much testing y'all actually do to get it dialed in. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/17/17 7:37 a.m.
Stampie said:

What I think is interesting is all the different places where you have adjusting points. Shows how much testing y'all actually do to get it dialed in. 

Thanks. We adjust to learn the car so we can get every hundredth and so that we can make changes on race day. That's why I watch the back tire and the air quality during the race.  We even change gear ratio depending on the time of year.  Gainesville runs like a summer PA tune up

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/17/17 12:01 p.m.

I really appreciate you guys documenting this build. Your work is incredibly inspiring to us "regular" guys with no special fancy tools. You have a welder, cutters, drill press, and some jigs you've made up from those tools. Maybe a machined part here and there, but everything you're doing is accessible to most folks on a modest budget. It gives me a bit of reassurance in my own build, especially with the rear suspension fabrication, but also shows how much room for improvement I have. Thanks again, and looking forward to more!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
11/17/17 1:54 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I really appreciate you guys documenting this build. Your work is incredibly inspiring to us "regular" guys with no special fancy tools. You have a welder, cutters, drill press, and some jigs you've made up from those tools. Maybe a machined part here and there, but everything you're doing is accessible to most folks on a modest budget. It gives me a bit of reassurance in my own build, especially with the rear suspension fabrication, but also shows how much room for improvement I have. Thanks again, and looking forward to more!

Glad you are enjoying it. This is turning into one of my favorites. I can't wait until it is done. This one is going to be a rocket.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
11/17/17 7:52 p.m.

What was your material selection for your upper shock mounts?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
11/17/17 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

Mild Steel. Is that what you were asking?

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KPmm0JQxd5ByW4FM9MYwm0wpa8UbgjHTx4TCL5NG8n1X0tsmOBWnwZEkpTq1PWNE