1 2 3 4 5 6
Saron81
Saron81 Reader
1/14/20 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Purple Frog :

THATS where I know that name from.... sounded familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it. They (QS) make reverse rotation Zetec water pumps among other things! 

Super cool build!!!

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
1/15/20 1:13 p.m.

I learned a lot of very interesting things reading this. These are the most interesting (to me):

1) Someone can actually ONLY post up a project once it's finished (see also: someone actually finished a project!)

2) a 24'x36' garage is reasonable for ONE car

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/19/20 12:42 p.m.

Actually the 24 x 36 gets pretty crowded.  laugh   Usually for the pictures I moved some stuff outside.   There are a lot of projects going on, tools, grandkids toys, bikes,  golf carts, kayak stuff, etc.  Thinking the building needs an addition.  wink

I'm leaning towards a stacker to hold the VW as I build the next thing.

I love reading the build threads.  When i bought into this project it had kind of died on the vine for over 7 years.  I wasn't sure i could do any better.  Didn't want to start a thread and then fade off.  Then when it really got rolling, i just decided to wait and show it done.

Maybe the next one will be a public build thread.  Got an idea...  Smaller, lighter, more power, but still street legal.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
1/19/20 7:49 p.m.

I found making the build public motivates me to keep going.  Like I owe my audience something.

I love the car!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/19/20 10:31 p.m.

I want this car so bad.  Really amazing,  thanks for sharing!

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/19/20 8:37 p.m.

First day of Spring Update.

The car is now street licensed and insured.   I drive it on Sundays, and in North Florida the weather has been perfect for a car with no A/C.   It is much closer to a purpose built race car than a daily driver.   A blast to drive.  Lets just say if you run over a dime on the pavement, you know it.

Since I have no speedometer, I just use a Garmin GPS on the windshield to know just how bad I'm breaking the law.

Figured out the gears (see chart).  But,  really not important, at about 110 the front gets scary light.   Would need a serious front splitter to go any faster.  The Raby dyno sheet sets the redline at 6500,   I use 6000 to be safe...

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
3/19/20 9:16 p.m.

Bravo sir. A far cry from my plans for my 73 but much love on the T4. Close enough 200hp from one is friggin sweet, even if it requires magic fuel. I bet it's an absolute hoot to mash the pedal and with all that suspension and rubber it'd probably be fun even with only half the power. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/30/20 8:47 a.m.

I am still lovin' this build.

Thank you!  Still lovin'  driving it.  smiley

Was hoping to do the big VW show in southern Tennessee May 2nd, but the virus killed that idea.

I have to laugh when i think of what a build thread would have been like for this project... Dozens and dozens of posts saying, "Oh E36 M3 ! how am i going to solve this new problem?"

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
5/30/20 9:46 a.m.

Lots of people only dream of doing something like this with a bug. Congrats on a fantastic car.  Something like this is well beyond my skills.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/30/20 10:04 a.m.

Jimbob,  You might surprise yourself.  Start small.  Buy a welder when you are 25 and by the time you are 70 you may start getting the hang of it.  LOL

One thing i learned with this build, being that it had to be street legal as compared to previous off road builds:  Even the cheapest little modern compact car is a complex unit of design to fit all the needed working elements into the package.  I don't know how many evenings i sat staring at the chassis thinking, "where am i going to put the electric fuel pump?"

mkZero
mkZero None
5/30/20 5:02 p.m.

Wow, just wow! 

I joined GRM recently because I like the grass roots vibe... this is actually my first post on here.  What an amazing car, congrats to you sir! 

I was going to post a thread on my '55 beetle I've started autocrossing, but it seems so boring now lol. 

In reply to mkZero :

Post that '55.  Every  build is a story to be told.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/14/20 11:34 p.m.

The Outlaw Bug is still a regular Sunday driver.  Its an easy piece to social distance with.

We are entered into the Florida Bug Jam in Dade City Florida on November 7th.    If it doesn't get shut down.

We decided to go because we can live in the motorhome on-site, and be careful.

I was never in love with the black wheels, so I took the day off today and made a change. (thanks to previous GRM threads)

Before:

After:

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/14/20 11:55 p.m.

Oh yes, much nicer!  Good call!

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
6/19/21 7:02 a.m.

Did you make it to the bug jam??

oh, and how did the situation with your daughters odyssey turn out??

stroker
stroker UberDork
7/12/21 6:10 a.m.

Can we get more information about the suspension please?  What source for the spindles and uprights?  Brakes?

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/12/21 10:36 a.m.

I drool over this thing every time I see it. It's PERFECT!

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
7/17/21 8:43 p.m.

I don’t know how I missed this one but I did.   Wow, just wow!  

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/17/21 9:03 p.m.

Just about forgot about this thread...

Quick update.  Drove it to dinner this evening.  (try to drive it every weekend)  Such a rush, still.  The local VP dealer doesn't mind selling me all the 110 octane I need.

Of course with no A/C and 200 hp behind your shoulders you keep the windows and sunroof open and maintain speed during the summer months.  wink  The insulated aluminum firewall must be providing some separation...

As the Sun was setting after dinner and we were cruising rather rapidly through the rolling Red Hills of North Florida on remote two lanes; I have to admit it was quite rewarding.

I have discovered that the 1974 alternator does not like to keep the fan belt on anywhere over 6000 rpm.  Not sure what the solution for that could be.  Since the only thing the battery is powering is the coil, and turn signals, we usually just plan to get home before dark.  For, I seem to not be able to drive it under 4,000 rpm.  Its such a rush when it walks up on that cam.

To answer Stroker:  Everything on the chassis and running gear is custom built one-off stuff.    Can't call up Summit and order replacements.   It was designed and fabbed up by Eric Langbein @ Langbein Racing in Annapolis MD.  The spindles are Formula car origin (because thats what we know).  Brakes are off an older S2 race car, with race pads (drag the brakes out the driveway so you'll have brakes at the first stop sign) .  The uprights on the rear are basically Sports Racer 2 units.  The uprights on the front are custom CNC aluminum billet... because... you know.... insanity prevails.

stroker
stroker UberDork
7/18/21 6:11 a.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for that information!

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/18/21 8:59 a.m.

How in the heck have I missed this thread?

Fabulous!

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/18/21 9:38 p.m.

I realize i don't post much about the Outlaw Bug much since it is now a "normal" part of my life.

I drive it often but my beautiful wife has never taken a ride.   Obviously she has a lot of sense.   Anyway, this afternoon I was taking it to the local car show where we collect a lot of money for toys for disadvantaged kids in our area.  Just out of the blue she said she would ride the 5 miles into town with me.

Realize it has a 7000 redline.  I found it interesting that she started screaming at 3500 rpm in 2nd gear.  Further proof that it is a successful build.   wink

I had to drive most the way into town trying to keep it under 3000 rpm,  so it would not wake up on the cam and start growling and her protesting.  

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
12/22/21 8:47 a.m.

Still one of my favorite builds!

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
12/22/21 10:22 a.m.

And just when I get over my longing for my old Beetle, this thread pops up again, and IT starts over again, and I am trolling all the online adds, Marketplace, Gumtree, Ananzi, Autotrader etc for old Beetles.... cheeky

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FG7VjSgpDXTlAN2UVtob3MXKsx0TMWUjZIGAOO13jskJir0ZkBKhcBM7O7UGEK8T