1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 ... 129
1955W196S
1955W196S New Reader
1/4/20 6:55 a.m.
Knight said:
NoahWeb said:Also completed a oil change, upping the weight from 0w40 to 5w40 in the hopes of keeping some residual oil on the lifters after the engine is shut off.  Still a klatterly engine on start...normal trait of the engine design I suppose.  I believe fuel injectors will be next on the list to complete, plus still giving some thought to a catch can.

A catch can is a necessity on the M156/M159. Went with Weistec (quality kit, albeit pricey) but other options have come to market recently:

VRP - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-m156-oil-catch-can-kit-vrp-speed-oilcc#fitment

Custom Fittings (can be used with any generic catch can) - https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/762118-catch-can-pcv-adapter-fittings.html

As for oil, Liqui Moly's Ceratec treatment is worth a try. Coupled with their 5W40 Leichtlauf, my engine quieted down a noticeable level over Mobil 1 0W40.

I just checked the FCP Euro link and it appears that their catch can kit works with basically every M156 AMG except the R 63.  When I enter that my car is an R63, I get a message saying "This part does not fit."  I've sent FCP Euro a message asking if this does or does not fit an R63, but in the past, because my R63 is a European model, they have just said that they only have parts for U.S. models, so I don't know what kind of a response I will get from them this time.

Knight
Knight New Reader
1/4/20 10:32 a.m.

In reply to 1955W196S :

Hmm, I wonder what differences there are between the US-spec and Euro-spec R63s in terms of engine bay packaging (if any).

I would still try it. Might need to get creative on placement but fortunately these kits provide a generous amount of hose. Many tend to mount them up front by the headlight. I barely used any hose and found a spot near the back of the engine (SL63):

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
1/5/20 1:45 p.m.
1955W196S said:
Knight said:
NoahWeb said:Also completed a oil change, upping the weight from 0w40 to 5w40 in the hopes of keeping some residual oil on the lifters after the engine is shut off.  Still a klatterly engine on start...normal trait of the engine design I suppose.  I believe fuel injectors will be next on the list to complete, plus still giving some thought to a catch can.

A catch can is a necessity on the M156/M159. Went with Weistec (quality kit, albeit pricey) but other options have come to market recently:

VRP - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-m156-oil-catch-can-kit-vrp-speed-oilcc#fitment

Custom Fittings (can be used with any generic catch can) - https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/762118-catch-can-pcv-adapter-fittings.html

As for oil, Liqui Moly's Ceratec treatment is worth a try. Coupled with their 5W40 Leichtlauf, my engine quieted down a noticeable level over Mobil 1 0W40.

I just checked the FCP Euro link and it appears that their catch can kit works with basically every M156 AMG except the R 63.  When I enter that my car is an R63, I get a message saying "This part does not fit."  I've sent FCP Euro a message asking if this does or does not fit an R63, but in the past, because my R63 is a European model, they have just said that they only have parts for U.S. models, so I don't know what kind of a response I will get from them this time.

Welcome to the rare and oddity filled world of the R63!!  The VRP Catch Can will fit as the Breather/PCV is the same for all M156 engine variants.  The difference is finding a location for the catch can to mount!  I've asked FCP/VRP to confirm the dimensions of their Catch Can as I think it will fit near the passenger headlight.  The hose length will be a bit long but believe the hoses can be run discreetly.  I've done a lot of cross-referencing on parts to confirm fit and/or availability as a general principal with the R63.  

I think the Weistec is too tall...plus at $600 I think one is buying more a name than catch can (albeit a quality unit; not $600 worth IMHO).  

Knight
Knight New Reader
1/5/20 10:32 p.m.

In reply to NoahWeb :

The VRP kit seems to provide the best value. Unfortunately, neither it nor the custom fittings were available when I was shopping for a catch can so I ended up paying the Weistec tax.

It is a very nice kit, but I agree that it shouldn't cost that much.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/6/20 5:02 a.m.

The removable cowl panel on the R63 is the big issue. I look at the picture above and think "there is so much room......". Half of the engine is covered in the van. I think there is actually room back there but you would certainly have to remove a bunch of stuff to even check. From my memory there is more room along the passenger side of the engine in general. On the drivers side you have the whole electronics bundle and the steering and all of that. 

rothwem
rothwem New Reader
1/6/20 8:40 a.m.
NoahWeb said:

Still a klatterly engine on start...normal trait of the engine design I suppose.  

What does the oil filter design look like on these cars?  Sometimes a faulty anti-drainback valve can cause this clattery startup.  I have experience mostly working on BMWs, and on the M54, there's a couple o-rings on the oil filter housing/cap assembly that can compression set and allow oil to leak out of the oil filter overnight, resulting in a nasty startup sound as the engine is starved for oil while the filter fills up.  

Might be something similar on this car.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/6/20 10:32 a.m.

They have a canister that you can see in the pictures above. It's the black lid with the big hex front right. Every time I pulled the filter for an oil change it was completely full. The lifters don't clatter like they're dry (I got to experience that terrifying noise when starting it after I replaced them), they just make a bit of noise on startup. 

I got to play with them out of the car and my guess is that any lifters under tension loose their oil when the motor is off and they're compressed unless the whole system has a check valve in it to keep pressure on them, which I don't think it does. 

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
1/25/20 8:53 a.m.

After a bit of delay, I sent off the original Rear Diff fluid to Black Stone Labs for analysis.  Far better condition for 12 year old fluid than expected!!  Didn't expect those kind of results!  

1955W196S
1955W196S New Reader
1/26/20 4:17 p.m.

Can you explain to the uninitiated among us what these results mean?  It looks like everything from Boron down is high (except silicon).  Is that correct?  What does it mean?  What is "TAN" and why is 4.1 "fine"?  Is the last column averages for other R63s, for other cars with the M156 engine, or for all cars of all types?

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
1/26/20 7:29 p.m.

Noah...when does one know that a catch can on a M156/9  is a necessity? word of mouth.....alternative blog? the reason i ask is that my CTSV is truly a candidate simply because of the supercharger (and no. i've not done my due diligence ).....just curious, what is happening internally that requires this? 

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
1/27/20 8:05 p.m.
1955W196S said:

Can you explain to the uninitiated among us what these results mean?  It looks like everything from Boron down is high (except silicon).  Is that correct?  What does it mean?  What is "TAN" and why is 4.1 "fine"?  Is the last column averages for other R63s, for other cars with the M156 engine, or for all cars of all types?

TAN as clarified by Black Stone Labs - "The TAN test
The TAN test is commonly done on industrial oil like hydraulic fluid. There is a theory that when oil becomes acidic it will accelerate wear and cause all kinds of problems, but that’s just a theory--and a pretty weak one in my book. When most people think of acid, they might think of something like acid reflux and heartburn. Or maybe sulfuric acid burning a hole in their clothes, but that gives acids a bad rap. If it weren’t for acid, your food wouldn’t get digested and we’d be without a lot of very important chemical compounds. What’s more, there is no known correlation between acidic oil and higher wear. It is commonly talked about that water in oil will cause it to become acidic, and maybe it will if the water has something to react to. But with aircraft oil, it doesn’t. The additives present aren’t sulfur-based like they are with automotive oils, so when water gets into oil, it usually just stays there until the oil gets hot enough to cook it back out."

Additional details for testing are here - https://www.blackstone-labs.com/about-us/what-is-oil-analysis/ 

The averages column is specific to differential fluid in general.  Gives an idea of what typical values should/could be.  Overall, the OEM fill Differential fluid was in good condition and had additional "break-in" metals (ie boron).  

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
1/27/20 8:08 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Noah...when does one know that a catch can on a M156/9  is a necessity? word of mouth.....alternative blog? the reason i ask is that my CTSV is truly a candidate simply because of the supercharger (and no. i've not done my due diligence ).....just curious, what is happening internally that requires this? 

MBWorld C63 Forums (W204) has a lot of good knowledge on catch cans and the M156 engine.  Just part of how this engine is designed; similar to how the Audi RS4s build up carbon deposits on the intake valves at an astonishing rate...just a trait of that engine.  Time permitting I'll post a link to one of the MBWorld discussion threads on the catch can subject.  

Working on heading to Germany & Poland here for a few months and the R63 is going to some "unique" storage.  More to follow on that front.  

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
1/27/20 8:24 p.m.

Following on the "unique " storage aspect .....safe travels

And I've said it before.......this very thread brought me to GRM ....thank you 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela HalfDork
2/22/20 9:41 a.m.
bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/22/20 10:27 a.m.

Yes!!! I was just gonna post this! The same unicorn on TV!  Watching now!

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
2/22/20 11:29 a.m.
bonylad said:

Yes!!! I was just gonna post this! The same unicorn on TV!  Watching now!

Beat me too it. "Storage" while I'm in Europe for a bit. 

More to follow. Enjoy the video and my rushing to change the oil prior to leaving...and not swapping out the copper washer.  :facepalm:

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/22/20 11:39 a.m.

In reply to NoahWeb :

What part?  PM is acceptable.

bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/22/20 1:07 p.m.

In reply to NoahWeb :

Beautiful machine sir!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/22/20 1:10 p.m.

Interesting. 

So, the R63 is now in Chicago. I did not get the name of the Legit Street Cars guy, but I did subscribe to his channel. I suspect that we might also see some of him here on GRM, or he should. 

Does he realize that Seth will be in South Bend in early May for One Lap? 

I think very cool for the R63 to make an appearance at the hotel Friday night. A little reunion of Seth and R63. 

Additional, for Legit-guy, its worth the short travel to tie all the pieces together.  I'm sure he could also get some cool content while at One Lap. 

Oh, and the top speed racing happens in Texas...and Seth lives in Texas.  Too cool. 

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
2/22/20 1:53 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Interesting. 

So, the R63 is now in Chicago. I did not get the name of the Legit Street Cars guy, but I did subscribe to his channel. I suspect that we might also see some of him here on GRM, or he should. 

Does he realize that Seth will be in South Bend in early May for One Lap? 

I think very cool for the R63 to make an appearance at the hotel Friday night. A little reunion of Seth and R63. 

Additional, for Legit-guy, its worth the short travel to tie all the pieces together.  I'm sure he could also get some cool content while at One Lap. 

Oh, and the top speed racing happens in Texas...and Seth lives in Texas.  Too cool. 

....sending some emails. 

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
2/22/20 1:56 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

In reply to NoahWeb :

Graf. Though right now, Garmisch. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela HalfDork
2/22/20 2:07 p.m.

Garmisch, you say? (Would be cool if it were there, though I highly doubt it.)

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/22/20 4:07 p.m.
NoahWeb said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

In reply to NoahWeb :

Graf. Though right now, Garmisch. 

looks like you're closer to Hungary Bill currently.  I'm 1kkm away, which is to say "not close at all".  I don't think we have plans to be in Germany until June, and that's a 'soft/fuzzy, not planned thing right now'; and I reckon you'll be back by then.

Good luck, and enjoy your time!

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/22/20 4:27 p.m.

So you sold it to him?  Or he's keeping it while you're gone and using it for content?

1955W196S
1955W196S New Reader
2/22/20 5:28 p.m.

Great to see your R63 with Alex.

1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 ... 129

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PwbnmZFwv0ZyDHvW0mBwX7MNoBFmQUOAG5cmBFQUGZmoImsrzPFtU5EuJPmG60j7