1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 ... 129
NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
2/22/20 11:20 p.m.
docwyte said:

So you sold it to him?  Or he's keeping it while you're gone and using it for content?

Content. While I'm in Germany, it would be in storage otherwise. This seemed to be a better use of time. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/23/20 6:35 a.m.

I'm not actually going to be in South Bend this spring but I do pass roughly by Chicago in early June every year, so depending on the timeline we may have to talk. Either way, the Texas Mile is now on my priority list. 

Padit
Padit
4/13/20 8:08 a.m.

Just got my Unicorn out of Terra Haute, IN

Black on Black, 115,000 miles.   The cars is in reasonably good condition.  Cosmetically, and 8.8 inside and out.  The chrome wheels are a low point, corrosion . Mechanically it needs on the oil filter housing, the valve cover seals need replaced as does the power steering seal; search all the records and no sign of head bolts being replaced, but I was told that Mercedes did a lot of silent head bolt replacements (hopefully).   The car has a Manufacturer Buy Back Title in Indiana.  The tailgate had an issue, they never could get it to close automatically.  Mercedes sold it at auction.

At $11,500, I feel it was a reasonable deal for this rare sleeper.   We will see in 6 months how I feel.   I love my 2010 R350 with 135,000 miles and a smooth as silk.

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
5/22/20 8:50 a.m.

Wanted to pass a quick update for the Unicorn.  Alex with LegitStreetCars finished the repairs and will be uploading the last video, I believe, next weekend.  Overall repairs included 8x Fuel Injectors, Power Steering reservoir, Flex Disc, sway bar bushings, and the front wheel bearings.  THe R63 has a clean bill of health and we are looking forward to a top-speed run in Victoria, TX!!  

The Dyno run showed the R63 was putting down 350 WHP before tuning.  After doing some looking around, this is fairly normal for the R63, and ML63, to dyno low.  33% driveline loss, maybe more?  Torque Converter based auto, transfer case.  After tuning, the R63 gained 25 WHP for a final number of 375WHP.  It was also run up to 160 MPH with no issues at all, and dropped .2 0-60 time to 4.4/4.5.  Not bad for a 111k mile, 13 year old lady!  

Should be back in Texas Monday/Tuesday, pending vehicle transporters.  Will post the video link once Alex finishes editing and such.  

Huge thanks to Alex and OJ for their help!!  While COVID impacted some of our plans, I am grateful for their assistance!!  As well as props to mazdeuce!  Repairs were clearly on point!!  

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/20 12:11 p.m.

In reply to NoahWeb :

That's awesome!

mazdeuce - Seth
5/22/20 12:39 p.m.

In reply to NoahWeb :

That's rad. Keep the lot of us updated. Can't wait to see what she does opened up. 

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
5/22/20 12:49 p.m.

375 whp propels that barge to 60 in <5 seconds? Unreal. Very interested to see what top speed is of a van. Any chance of video from the sidelines somewhere near the speed trap? That'd be great. 

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
5/22/20 1:18 p.m.
barefootskater said:

375 whp propels that barge to 60 in <5 seconds? Unreal. Very interested to see what top speed is of a van. Any chance of video from the sidelines somewhere near the speed trap? That'd be great. 

Torque!!  I didn't ask for the WTQ numbers.  I'll see what we can get setup when it comes time to film the top-speed run.  Household 6 is not jazzed that the date falls over Halloween.  

1955W196S
1955W196S New Reader
5/24/20 3:19 a.m.

Thanks for the update NoahWeb.  I've been watching Alex's site hoping for the next video.

1955W196S
1955W196S New Reader
5/25/20 4:49 a.m.
NoahWeb said:
It was also run up to 160 MPH with no issues at all, and dropped .2 0-60 time to 4.4/4.5.  Not bad for a 111k mile, 13 year old lady!  

So, did the new tune remove the speed limiter?  Sounds like it.

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
5/25/20 7:10 a.m.
1955W196S said:
NoahWeb said:
It was also run up to 160 MPH with no issues at all, and dropped .2 0-60 time to 4.4/4.5.  Not bad for a 111k mile, 13 year old lady!  

So, did the new tune remove the speed limiter?  Sounds like it.

It did. Can't do a top speed run limited to 155.  

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
5/30/20 3:13 p.m.

Need some help from the community.  Finished installing a VRP Speed Catch Can and took the R63 out for a quick shake-down drive to make sure everything was in correct.  Returned home to find that there was oil spray on the top of the radiator, underside of hood, etc.  Wasn't much but enough for a light film.  Appears to have come from the dip stick.

The each line is about 48-52" each, with the can slightly below the level of the manifold.  I checked the catch can after the drive and found it to be empty.  Lines don't appear to be crimped or blocked.   

Waiting on the engine to cool now before having another look but wanted to check in with y'all for thoughts.  Appreciate the help! 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/30/20 4:03 p.m.

Dip stick was pushed out of the hole? How easy is it to disconnect the catch can to confirm that's what's doing it?

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
5/30/20 4:16 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Dip stick was pushed out of the hole? How easy is it to disconnect the catch can to confirm that's what's doing it?

PITA to get to the back of the manifold; about an hour or so.  I suspect the hosing is the problem, either to long or crimped.  I've found the dip stick popped up a few times, but never had oil disperse from the tube.  

mazdeuce - Seth
5/30/20 5:19 p.m.

Yea, I can't think of anything other than what you changed that would cause the change. 

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
5/30/20 7:55 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Yea, I can't think of anything other than what you changed that would cause the change. 

Agreed.  Checked the lines and they were flowing freely.  Fittings were tight.  Not keen on the $300 "kit" being wasted.  

In any event, I removed the lines and can, reconnected the OEM system to re-think the install.  It'd be most helpful if there was some additional space in the engine bay!!  

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
6/7/20 11:51 a.m.

I haven't re-attacked the Catch Can yet.  Today's task was to replace the Air Compressor for the air suspension.  It threw a code for taking to long to re-charge the air system.  Arnott/FCP to the rescue!  Rather simple process...remove passenger wheel liner, disconnect hoses/connectors, in with new compressor, replace a relay with new, reassemble in reverse sequence.  

The "why" it failed was easy.  The feed line coming from the air drier/filter had aged, cracked and simply fallen apart.  Pro-tip for other R63 AMG Owners...check this line!  These cracks bypassed the drier/filter allowed the compressor to suck in dirty and wet air thereby shortening the life of the compressor.  Quick trip to the friendly AutoZone for 33" of rubber hose and new clamps....fixed.  

Finished assembly.  

And the OEM hose that is simply aged and past life expectancy.  Makes me worry about the other hoses.......

In other news, had the cooling system flushed and filled by Mercedes yesterday, plus a 4-wheel alignment.  It was pulling a bit to the left.  Toe was out front and rear.  

1955W196S
1955W196S New Reader
6/8/20 6:37 a.m.

Thanks for the update.  It's nice to have some simple and not so expensive repairs/maintenance.  I will be checking my hoses.

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
6/13/20 12:40 p.m.

Re-attacked the catch can today.  BLUF, same problem.  I've been flummoxed twice now!!  

Overall, shortened the lines to 10-12", no kinks or abnormal bends, all fittings are secured.  At this point I suspect the 1/2" lines, OD I believe, and it can't flow enough air from the crank case resulting in the pressure having to go somewhere....ala the dipstick.  

Have a fan blowing over the engine now to help cool it down before I revert back to the OEM setup.  Anyone have some thoughts to share??  

Photo below - the "In" is towards the front and connected to the OEM PCV, with the "out" towards the rear and connected to the intake manifold.  

1955W196S
1955W196S New Reader
6/15/20 5:26 a.m.

This is probably a stupid question, but it looks like the hose going into the catch can is higher than where it is coming out of the engine.  If this is to pick up excess oil, doesn't the hose need to be going downhill into the catch can?  I assume that there is a vacuum on the line, but is that sufficient to pull the oil up into the can?  And wouldn't any oil in the hose when the engine is turned off drain back into the engine?  I'm trying to understand how this is supposed to work.

1955W196S
1955W196S New Reader
6/20/20 11:47 a.m.

Alex at Legit Street Cars has posted another video on Noah's R63 at the dyno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YPWtA9tXcE

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/20/20 1:07 p.m.
1955W196S said:

Alex at Legit Street Cars has posted another video on Noah's R63 at the dyno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YPWtA9tXcE

Alex says 40 of them produced 

mb forum says 107 in USA 

anyone know? 

https://mbworld.org/forums/r63-amg-w251/257951-r-63-amg-production-numbers.html

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
6/20/20 3:23 p.m.
1955W196S said:

Ahh beat me to it.  Yep it's posted...happy viewing y'all!

And @mr2s2000elise world wide the production was less than 200.  US was 108, with an estimated ~40 remaining stateside, not-crashed, etc.  

ronniejay
ronniejay New Reader
6/22/20 6:22 p.m.

In reply to NoahWeb :

This pic brings back old memories. The "made by Guido" emblem came off while I was getting the magnesium air intake welded on the fuel lines mounting holes for Seth. Seems like yesterday What glue did you use?

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
6/25/20 7:40 p.m.
ronniejay said:

In reply to NoahWeb :

This pic brings back old memories. The "made by Guido" emblem came off while I was getting the magnesium air intake welded on the fuel lines mounting holes for Seth. Seems like yesterday What glue did you use?

Purchased the same adhesive that Guido would have used via Mercedes.  It's correctly mounted to the intake manifold, though part of me believes it should read "Guido Mazdeuce"

And in good R63 fashion, she keeps giving gifts of love and encouragement.  Today it was the "AIRMATIC Malfunction" illumination while driving to my in-laws from Austin.  Checked for codes and was greeted by P5508 "The Pressure Line System Leaks."  Of course it will not raise, or lower.  

Checked the fuses and relay, as one does first, and found all to be intact.  Though I may replace the 40 amp fuses; the tops are getting a bit worn...likely from heat within the engine compartment.  The new air compressor is running and can be clearly heard trying to charge the system.  I wonder if the feed line fitting is simply loose?  That or the Valve Block is failing...

Will check tomorrow in my in-laws driveway with basic tools.  Lesson learned; keep the essential tools IN the R63!!  

The R63 sure has a unique way of showing its love for its owner!  

1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 ... 129

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0GOuSpERb4TzY40jPbQgMZJltj2TVLwAXjOjanrCSYhCItmtLL8hXflIjU23GKPx