1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 129
RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
9/22/16 10:49 a.m.

So you're suggesting that the means of failure detection may cause more failures? That is gold.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
9/22/16 3:12 p.m.

In reply to RedGT:

Perhaps it's quantum effects; they exist in a superposed state of functional and burned out until you observe them.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/25/16 12:59 p.m.

Autocross was cancelled today leaving me super sad. A friend and I decided we should salvage the day by going to watch Porsches drive in circles at TWS.
What's that you say? Parade laps open to anyone? Yes, yes I will. Video incoming.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/25/16 1:20 p.m.
cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
9/25/16 5:12 p.m.

that looks like fun!

java230
java230 Dork
9/26/16 10:38 a.m.

Ha that was great, I can only imagine what the guy in the corvette in front of you was thinking.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/26/16 12:00 p.m.

I reaaaaaaaly want to do a fluid flush, put some better tires on and make a poor decision. Or maybe the Big Bend Open Road Race? I've already committed to autocrossing it if we get a predicted downpour event.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/26/16 1:39 p.m.

And I'm going to throw up. It's hard to tell but that's coolant in the oil. Signs point to intake manifold gasket maybe. No overheating, no smoke. Sudden coolant loss. CEL. Coolant in oil. I need to calm down. I'll call the dealership tomorrow.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
9/26/16 2:18 p.m.

oh how your life can change in 1 hour and 39 minutes.

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
9/26/16 2:21 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: oh how your life can change in 1 hour and 39 minutes.

No kidding. So it begins....

I'm reading this like...wait, so he found this at 12:39? Call the dealership right now!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/26/16 2:26 p.m.

Well... you did put in the thread title, "...of my destruction."

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
9/26/16 2:31 p.m.

Fun's over...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/26/16 2:41 p.m.

Highs and lows man, highs and lows. It looks like the best thing schedule wise is to ride the tow truck in Wednesday morning.
As the title indicated, I knew going into this what could happen. Don't feel bad for me.
I know this is going to be brutally expensive, but at least everyone at the dealership and MB USA has been exceptionally polite, so there's that.

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
9/26/16 2:46 p.m.

So care to detail what happened? The car threw a cel, you did more investigating, and now your bum is sore...?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork

It might be worth getting a second opinion/quote for the work. At least up in the NJ area, there are some indy shops who can do top level work on Benz's at lower cost.

GPz11
GPz11 Reader

https://repairpal.com/estimator/mercedes-benz/r63+amg/coolant-leak-diagnosis-cost

Between $88 and $111, I don't see what you are complaining about??

Good luck!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/26/16 2:49 p.m.

Hopefully its not too bad. My fingers are crossed.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/26/16 2:51 p.m.

I would be extatic over an external leak. All of the missing coolant appears to be inside the motor.
Three miles from home, low coolant alert. That's bad. Switch monitor to coolant temp. Mile and a half from home, stop light. Idle is rough. Probably should have stopped. No smoke, no temp change. Drove home. Pulled into neighborhood CEL comes on. Park. Pop hood. Can hear a hiss but no visible steam. Pull dipstick, world comes tumbling down.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/26/16 3:00 p.m.

Sorry to hear of your comingled fluids, but Dude, you built the Grosh, almost by yourself. Surely an intake manifold gasket isn't going to slow you down for long?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/26/16 3:04 p.m.

Don't feel like hitting it yourself?

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
9/26/16 3:05 p.m.

I can't ever imagine the sinking feeling where I'm staring at a hand-built V12TT engine that just threw a CEL and you aren't completely sure of what caused it, nor the extent of the damage. That would keep me up at night, haha.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/26/16 3:07 p.m.

I thought this was the V8?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/26/16 3:08 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: oh how your life can change in 1 hour and 39 minutes.

Sitting at the dentist posting about how awesome the R is. Driving deuckid#4 home and it happened.

And it's not that I can't do an intake manifold gasket (though it's very hard on this) but at this point I'd rather have someone check the motor. I'm right at the very edge of my comfort/knowledge range and these engines are $$$$$$. I would be extatic if I could pay someone to make sure I didn't have to do that.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/26/16 3:09 p.m.

It's the 6.2 V8. The good thing as that they made a pile of them and they're readily available even if they are brutally expensive.

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
9/26/16 3:10 p.m.

OH, that was my mistake. Apologies!

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 129

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DoUu6f0PnRracjrVeuByU36c65xTbhkwbgoJuitr3yxjOsRerfYIf887Dq0NMijf