1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30
NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
5/5/20 6:04 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Shouldn't the Hellas be mounted a bit more inward? 

Depends on what beam they use. Traditionally Pencil Beam's are mounted near the centreline of the vehicle and then moving outwards with driving beam's and then fog's on the outside. 

I'm pretty sure irish mentioned that these are fog beams, so the wider positioning make sense.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/5/20 6:39 p.m.

Cool project! I'm envious of your constant progress, you always seem to move way faster on stuff than I've ever been able to. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/5/20 6:45 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
mr2s2000elise said:

ok, I'll bite. Why do you say that?

Just to clarify, they don't actually block the headlights. It's just the funky way this phone takes center-shot photos - if that's what you're talking about.  

Nothing to bite on. On my SUV, and many others we grew up with (Pajero/60 series etc), the hella were always inside of the most further grille outline. So from far away it looked like it was attached to the grille. Or lack of a better term, the grille "outlined" the hella lights. 

On yours (from pics) it looks like its mounted where the grille line is, which blocks the outline of the grille.  Just a aesthetic thing for me. It looks off (to my eyes). Personally I would mount it right in front of the V6 sign on the front grille, thus not blocking the headlight shroud. Then again I am way too OCD.

But its your car, and your choice smiley

not the best pics, but what I was kinda talking about 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/5/20 9:31 p.m.
NGTD said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Depends on what beam they use. Traditionally Pencil Beam's are mounted near the centreline of the vehicle and then moving outwards with driving beam's and then fog's on the outside. 

I'm pretty sure irish mentioned that these are fog beams, so the wider positioning make sense.

Yeah, they're flood/fill beam pattern (we used to use them on the rally car but they got drowed out by my cheap LED bar so weren't worth keeping on there). The rally car runs a Hella pencil-beam LED bar dead-center inside the bumper, with a curved 40" flood LED bar right above it (across the entire bumper), plus small LED cornering lamps. 

But, for the Raider I initially just put these on where they are in the pics because that's where the factory threaded holes were. I don't want center-mount lights this big for fear of blocking the radiator -these things have enough trouble staying cool as it is!

5/5/20 9:38 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Actually, the position they are mounted in those photos is literally DIRECTLY in front of (and centered on) the "V6" badge. Like, perfectly. The V6 badge on the Raider is in the corner of the grille - not the same place as on the Pajero/Montero, which is a bit more centered. But that's neither here nor there......it's blacked out anyhow so isn't easily visible either way. 

That said, today I shifted them over to the other holes the PO put in the bumper, which are like 2-3" inboard. So here's what that looks like. It may please your aesthetics better (and I can't afford to lose one of my small crowd of thread-followers, so have to keep you happy :D )  You can see the bolt tops just outboard where they were previously. Again, the joys of having a metal-beam bumper! For me, makes no difference aesthetically, really, but it does get them out of the way of any of that little corner of the headlight beam. 

So, thanks for giving me a hard time, which motivated me to put them where I should have put them for functional reasons in the first place lol :D

that said, i definitely don't like them any more centered than that like in the last pic you posted. I always thought that looked terrible on trucks (just my own aesthetic opinon!)

Also, my tires should be here tomorrow, so I went ahead and pulled all five wheels off to throw them in the Sequoia. Also so I could load up all the suspension zerks with grease, now that I got a new grease gun that isn't broken. 

5/5/20 9:45 p.m.

On a related note, the actual Dakar Pajeros almost never even had floods up front (too easy to smash up, I expect, and most of rally raids are in daylight hours anyhow). But on the occasions they did, they were actually mounted pretty far out on the bumpers. I expect that was for the same reason as mine - to avoid any possible blockage of airflow to the radiator.

Side note: I think it's funny that in this pic the Hellas are on, but the covers are still on. I can tell you from experience that if you do this, the plastic covers WILL melt and warp. 

5/5/20 9:51 p.m.

in totally unrelated news, I intended to hook up an over-ride switch for the electric pusher fan in front of the radiator (for the A/C) so i can run it at will, even before I hook up the A/C. But after running power to it, it ran very slowly for a few seconds and then died. So......not sure if I kept the one off the other Raider or not, but may just pick up a 10" Spal pusher that probably moves more air anyhow. Sucks, since I used to have a 10" Spal for the rally car and sold it last winter since I use a 14" fan now....

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/5/20 10:20 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

BRAVO!!!!

orgasmic perfection!!!  

now it looks exactly like the Paris Dakar posters I had all over my wall all those years 

engiekev
engiekev Reader
5/6/20 7:58 a.m.

Very nice discussion about proper fog light placement, only on GRM!  When we add hella lights to our Gen1 we'll be sure to follow proper fog light etiquette.  

This build is progressing at warp speed, you don't waste any time! Any plans for an off road trial run when its complete?

5/6/20 8:02 a.m.
engiekev said:

Very nice discussion about proper fog light placement, only on GRM!  When we add hella lights to our Gen1 we'll be sure to follow proper fog light etiquette.  

This build is progressing at warp speed, you don't waste any time! Any plans for an off road trial run when its complete?

Oh I'm sure that will be in the works at some point. Right now I can't even register it since I'm going to get antique plates and to do that you have to go into DMV personally, which of course is not open right now.  That said I'm in no real rush since I am way ahead of schedule and have no place to go anyway. Until restrictions are lifted my work limits me to a 50 mi radius from home, which doesn't even really get me out of the DC suburbs lol....

but like with most of my other builds I'm pretty careful about making sure it is really reliable before I do any kind of real trips. So there will be a good amount of time just doing local driving in the short trips and stuff like that to make sure everything just works all the time. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/6/20 9:02 a.m.

Tires are here?! 

5/6/20 9:12 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Tires are here?! 

at some point today. UPS usually hits me late in the afternoon. I am going to put out a sign to tell him to just dump them at the bottom of my driveway, since I feel bad making these overworked delivery people lug 5 heavy tires up to my porch like he usually does....

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/6/20 9:30 a.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

I also have a set of 4 tires coming for one of cars. 235/285, Toyo 888. Mine usually come at 10am. So we got a few hours to get them. 

Tire days are the best. The smell of new tires are heavenly.

5/6/20 9:58 a.m.

So I guess he had to get this stuff out of the way before his delivery runs...

ebelements
ebelements Reader
5/6/20 1:18 p.m.

Those grabbers look butch as hell. Great call.

(Also, aftermarket defroster lines are a thing!?!? Amazing.)

5/6/20 1:37 p.m.
ebelements said:

Those grabbers look butch as hell. Great call.

(Also, aftermarket defroster lines are a thing!?!? Amazing.)

yeah apparently very popular for very old cars that never came with defrosters or people who had to replace their rear glass. also apparently a lot of people who rally up north in Canada put under the windshield wipers (my WRX came stock like that with the winter package). They're even a few rally guys who do a lot of winter events who put lines on their windshields!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/6/20 2:09 p.m.

Funny both of my Miata HT, I bought, I specifically looked for ones without the defroster lines. THen again, in our climate, we never turn on wipers or defrosters.

Tires look great. I have the K02 currently, and yours look just as manly as mine :D 

5/6/20 6:08 p.m.

Ok so as noted the tires arrived. Since the shop was busy and they usually give me the hookup, I told them I'd just come back tomorrow to get them, not like I'm going anyplace. Other than that, the only thing I really did today was install the manual hubs that came in. Got a pair of (genine) new Aisin hubs.

Figured they'd be easy to install, but of course out of curiosity I decided to take one apart to see the "guts" and that was a mistake, as I then spent 45 minutes figuring out how to put it back together (the springs inside have to go a particular way, which took a while to figure out). Anyhow, once that was back together I popped the OEM 'free-wheel' hubs off

And installed the new ones, which took about 5 minutes, so really fast and easy. Fit is perfect, they lock and unlock the axle as intended. 

What else....

Added some "spacers" to the bolts for the spare tire carrier since the 31s will need a bit more clearance from the body than the stock-size tires. Just a couple washers and longer M8 bolts put a M10 nut in the middle to act as a spacer. I may fab up an actual spacer plate at some point, but I think this will be sufficient. 

Also added another sticker....a variation of the other one i got earlier, but this one seems more apropos for the outside of this black Raider.

I was thinking of license plate ideas, and the wife suggested "LOST ARK" which would sit right under the "RAIDER" plate. But that might be a bit too silly for my liking lol....so we'll see what I come up with. Probably nothing all that fun. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/6/20 6:17 p.m.

I want the quarantine build stickers. Where are you getting them?

Also, i had no idea aftermarket defroster grids existed.  Thank you!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/6/20 6:17 p.m.

Good plate idea. 99% of people won't get it. But if wife wants it, do it , before she changes her mind.

5/6/20 6:34 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I want the quarantine build stickers. Where are you getting them?

Also, i had no idea aftermarket defroster grids existed.  Thank you!

Mostly just random people on facebook groups. The blue and red ones were from a page called "Wicked-Cool Customs" and have to order via PM on facebook. The black ones I don't even remember the page, but the black ones you send $5 paypal to peter (at) guagenti.com and ask for two stickers and you should get them (or look up Peter Guagenti on facebook)

5/6/20 6:37 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Good plate idea. 99% of people won't get it. But if wife wants it, do it , before she changes her mind.

Oh she totally doesn't care about my cars in the least, frankly. I think I have some pretty neat vehicles (biased opinion) but she has zero interest in cars other than some vague notion that she wants a 1960s Mustang convertible for some reason. What I put on the plates won't interest her much at all....

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/6/20 6:43 p.m.

Funny. I have 8 cars, 4 bikes. Wife has 1 car. She doesn't care about any of my vehicles, or my purchases, and I like it just like that.  Last year, I sold my white 95 R Miata, after owning it 2 years. She asked me 6 months later "what happened to the white car on the street, it isn't there" 

That is how LITTLE she notices things. And I am fine with that. I don't discuss my car purcahses, sales, mods with her at all. 

Similar to your wife, my wife wants a 50s-60s cadillac convertible. The ones that are 16ft+ with tail fins in maroon - some day. I am 100% sure it will never happen. But thats her only dream. 

My wife owned 1 car in her life before she met me. 3 (mazda miata NC2 for 2 years, junk POS mazda5 for 9 years) cars since marriage. Her current one, I am sure she will have 10 more years. 

I am on car #53. 38 cars, before marriage, rest since. LOL. 

5/6/20 7:08 p.m.

hah. My wife notices the cars, but doesn't pay much mind as to what I'm doing. As you all know, I do it maniacally enough that she just knows stuff is happening when I'm in the garage all evening (I secretly think she likes it that way). Also I get pretty grumpy when bored (i.e. no car projects going on). 

My wife has had I think 6 total cars ever, but two of them I basically bought for her (the 4Runner and the Sequoia) and she never loved either of them. When I met her she drove manual-transmission sporty sedans (Jetta, Mazda3, etc). These days if I mention even moving one of my cars she'll say "not sure I even remember how to drive manual. 

My car list isn't all that long, or even close.

Plymouth Voyager (technically my dad's, but I drove it), Triumph GT6, Lancia Delta (no, not the cool one), 87 Integra, 92 Accord Coupe, 00 Maxima, 09 WRX, 18 GTI were all my daily drivers. Projects/fun cars....90 Cherokee 2-door, Raider, Sequioa, 4Runner, a 2nd GT6 (unfinished project), e30 rally car, e21 (unfinished project), and the Porsche. But then again, I never really had the money to own multiple cars until I was in my 30s, so many of those early cars were heavily modded (especialy the Maxima and WRX). 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/6/20 7:14 p.m.

Funny when I met her, she had a first gen mazda3, purple sedan. Bought from enterprise at 30k miles. It was the biggest POS ever. In DC/Boston/RI all electronics would cut out going 80mph . Randomly 

at 80k we replaced it with a Nc2 

from 17-30 I heavily modded all my cars. WRX, hondas , miatas. 

since then I stopped modding heavily. No reason. Just turned myself off. I would have new wheels, coil overs, exhaust, before even brought a new car home. Every car has volk, ssr, bbs 2-3 sets each car. 

these days I mod still - but much less. I mod what I need. 

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xaYUBexbyHTIAWayZn7wDBayUBdblN0BOMPQLpb7IL8VACwuSMnKCyTKmlbUdqwD