Japrnoo
Japrnoo New Reader
10/28/20 10:56 a.m.

Hi.

Building my first race car for a Finnish class called Roadsport.  Doing almost everything for the first time in my life here so

will be asking some questions! Specially regarding to aerodynamics. Also very happy for all the comments if you think I'm doing something wrong!

Short story how everything started. Dreamed about old Datsuns for years (Mainly Hakosuka & Z) but at somepoint fell to 510 also and when 

i saw this one for sale few years ago I had to get it. The original plan was the basic: Coilovers, wheels, dual carbs and exhaust. Nice street cruiser.

On the first winter stance hype was turning to race style builds and i followed it too. "Yeah i put a bolt in gage and seats to this so i can go to track days".

Then i met my current team manager and he knew what buttons to push and finally the project took a last turn to full race car mode.

Started the project cleaning 50years of mass from the bottom of the car.

My friend made brackets for the S14 calipers

Front discs are AP racing 267mm, DP racing billet hubs with ARP wheel studs

What I think is a coolest detail in this car at the moment are the opening rear doors! 

I asked my friend to help me to fit the flares on the body and my idea was that the rear door doesn't need to open. He said no, we do it like this.

Decided to get rid of the stock steering box and got the rack and pinion from 240z so had to re do the firewall

Replaced stock pedals with Tilton pedal box and throttle pedal

Last updates: Replaced both rocker panels, bought 12 gallon Pyrotech / Nuke racing cell and carbon hood + trunk lid. 

will post more photos after next time at garage. PS. Most of the photos are old and have been taken at my old garage.

Here's a picture of my new garage.

-Jarno

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
10/28/20 11:08 a.m.

Great project!

Looks like minimal rust repair necessary. Lots of seam welds!

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
10/28/20 11:57 a.m.

Awesome work so far!  Race car is always destined to become race car, whether the beholder realizes this is the case or not . . .

orthoxstice
orthoxstice New Reader
10/28/20 12:50 p.m.

Moi! 

This thing looks awesome. 

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
10/28/20 1:09 p.m.

That is one clean bodied 510.  Super jealous.

Japrnoo
Japrnoo New Reader
11/3/20 10:59 a.m.

Hi.

Pictures of the rocker panel install that we got ready couple of weeks ago. Made those rocker panels myself so they are not 100% stock like.

The next thing on the list is the trunk.

First i had really basic cheap chinese fuel tank but I was never too happy with the looks of it so decided to doo everything over.

So i got myself 12gallon Pyrotech tank with Nuke performance fuel cell. First thing was to cut some room for it and made a frame where it bolts in.

One bar is missing from the picture but welded it in later. Now we are in the process of welding new trunk floor in.

One thing I did not mention on the first post is the engine of the car.

So it's Nissan L-series L18 engine that got drilled for 88mm Wiseco flat top pistons.

It has FJ20 H-profile rods and knife edged stock crank. Head is Datsun / Nissan competition FIA head with all titanium internals. 

FIA intake with Jenvey Dynamics 45mm throttle bodies and custom header. 

Will post more about the engine when we finish it, at the moment just the block is assembled and the head is waiting for the get some work on it.

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
11/3/20 11:25 a.m.

This is a super nice build. The attention to detail is great. Keep it up. 

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
11/3/20 11:37 a.m.

Thank you for keeping an old L series motor in it! Very nice, I'll be following along!

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/3/20 11:53 a.m.
Japrnoo said:

Why is your shop so clean?  Are you in need of medical help? cheeky

Japrnoo
Japrnoo New Reader
11/3/20 12:27 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

Why is your shop so clean?  Are you in need of medical help? cheeky

I clean it almost everytime after working ! 

+ The garage was built this year so not so

much stuff around yet haha!

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
11/3/20 12:34 p.m.

Since you are converting to EFI and using a large flat tank I would do a swirl pot or something similar in the tank to guarantee an air bubble free solid fuel flow. The fuel cell appears to have a large enough opening to do it "in tank".

Japrnoo
Japrnoo New Reader
11/3/20 1:00 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

Nuke fuel cell includes in tank swirl pot! 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
11/3/20 4:48 p.m.

B-E-A-utiful. Both car and shop.

Japrnoo
Japrnoo New Reader
11/7/20 2:23 a.m.

Got new hood and trunk lid from Australia, really loving them! Already got the idea of carbon fenders and painting the car black cheeky

Sorry about the bad photos, my lens is too long and car is too up for good photos.

Some progress with the trunk floor too! Just some finishing to do and the floor is ready. 

Will put the car back on it's wheel and test can tank hit the ground where it's now. It's about 10mm higher than rear subframe.

If there is a possibility then i will raise it 1" and make a cage for it then.

That's about it this time, will be sharing some more when progress happens!

Japrnoo
Japrnoo New Reader
1/24/21 11:46 a.m.

Hello! 

Update on the bodywork:

Since last time we have managed to fix dents and rust from the both rear quarter panels and now we are updating the roll cage.

Still a lot to do with the roll cage, after that it will be some rust repairs with all the four doors, during that time i have hopefully managed to get

enough money for some ApexEngineered suspension parts so we get to fit the engine & gearbox to the car! 

Till next time! 

-Jarno

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s8JL7t3a2ExTvhb5gQN3zGkHc6IlcBswDYOcCbCMp6oxomUPlxsPXbepQrc8jOIK