1 ... 5 6 7 8
Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/20 7:04 a.m.

I literally had to think for 10 seconds because you confused me so hard calling Gumby by the name I've only heard his wife call him

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/26/20 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, now I know who shared my contact info with Ed! I thought Ed's text was spam because it started with my name laugh

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
10/26/20 9:34 a.m.

Awesome. That engine is going to hustle a Europa along pretty damned well!

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
10/26/20 12:06 p.m.

Congrats on the cool wall decorations (and event success), Travis!  Definitely looking forward to seeing the V6 drivetrain's next home . . .

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
10/26/20 12:34 p.m.

Those wheels look familiar.   Never thought they would end up on a Avalon. HAHA. 

I also know now old those tires are ;) haha

I finally figured out your front end treatment is a mask.

Har-de-har-har-Har

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/20 12:22 p.m.

Parting out has commenced. I have buyers lined up tonight for the stock Avalon wheels. Might start removing the racing seat and roll bar this weekend.

Here's a few more pics stolen from the GRM website.

2020_10_2310_49_177204.jpg

IMG_9974.jpg

IMG_9798.jpg

2020_10_2409_36_047778.jpg

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
10/27/20 12:30 p.m.

The best detail on this car:

Hot friggin glue. Dude knows how to party. 

11/1/20 3:50 p.m.

Removal is the opposite of installation. Or something.

Just need to nab a few more parts

I was even able to pull the fuel line out without cutting or breaking anything! Out the top was easier somehow.

While digging around the engine bay I found this wicked close call. Luckily the mouse or squirrel got his fill before continuing.

With most of the interior picked over I can start transferring all the scrap metal back to the car. I also go the bumper, taillights, and a bunch of other "valuable" parts saved and cleaned up for recoup.

For example, I should be able to get almost $200 out of these 6 parts after shipping, according to eBay recently sold listings. As I take apart the dash to extract the wiring harness and computers, I'll find more stuff to recoup along the way. 

But for now, $0.97 back in the budget!

It's like the Giving Tree, only a lot E36 M3tier.

11/4/20 6:09 p.m.

More parting. I dropped the tank for an important piece that will make the swap a lot easier and cheaper in the future.

This flange has tapped holes, which fasten the pump/sender module. I can't fabricate one better than this so might as well scrounge it.

The trick is to drain all the gas, then fill the tank will water and keep the hose running while you cut, just in case. 

Now I can convert any car's fuel system to EFI by welding this flange to that car's tank.

Also dropped the rear suspension while I was at it. But why save the rear? I thought this fool only wanted the FWD powertrain? 1. Potential recoup on links, subframe, and calipers. 2. The donor Avalon front suspension has a steering rack, so I need to lock the steering with some kind of tie-rod link, perhaps one with bushings. Oh look, the Avalon's rear has exactly that. 3. I want matching lug pattern all around, and the Avalon's rear wheels spin on an integrated bolt-on hub bearing. I think I can adapt that hub bearing module to the front spindles of the new car...maybe, maybe not, but worth a try. That would also let me use the Toyota rear brakes up front, which are probably superior and include parking brakes, which I won't have the back, because the back will use the Avalon's front...uh...anyway I'll save it for the 2021 build thread.

Exhaust dropped too. I got offered $150 for this cat. That's a lot of recoup.

And now I'm gnawing on the interior before I can separate the front subframe.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/20 1:34 p.m.

Parking brake on the front axle > line lock

11/5/20 7:20 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Now that's how you GRM! It also worked the opposite way in original FWD form. I wish someone got a picture of my front tire fire show at the Challenge. Got spinning up to 2nd gear with left foot on the parking brake pedal lol

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/5/20 7:59 p.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

Now that's how you GRM! It also worked the opposite way in original FWD form. I wish someone got a picture of my front tire fire show at the Challenge. Got spinning up to 2nd gear with left foot on the parking brake pedal lol

I knew there was something I forgot to upload. 

11/7/20 2:52 p.m.

Body harness, modules, e-pedal, and shifter out.

Time to chop.

This is weirdly satisfying. I've been studying this unit all afternoon while waiting on a scrapper. It would not take much to get this running again - just fuel line/pump and plug in all the things. I will probably do a test-fire to make sure I didn't screw up anything before storing it. Maybe build a chariot? Pod-racer?

Wonder what I'll get for this scrap heap? 

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/7/20 3:13 p.m.

Geez, it's like you have done this before...

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/7/20 3:14 p.m.

OH !

Pod Racer for the Win ! ! !

Your neighbors love you, don't they?

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/7/20 3:49 p.m.

Avalon chariot. 
The idea alone means you win the internet today. If you were to make it happen IRL... 

Almost enough to make me fly out east just to watch. Video please. 

Or find a cheap motorcycle and make a trike! For fun. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/20 3:59 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

$35

i got $75 for Rusty the q45 and it was still mostly a car

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/7/20 4:12 p.m.

I like how you laid out the cut lines with drops of blood before sawing. Usually I get the blood during, not before.laugh

11/7/20 5:58 p.m.

There was no bleeding today! And my neighbors don't care because I have a privacy fence and live in an older, urban neighborhood that has yet to be "gentrified". 

I threw the shell up on FB for $120 "make an offer" to see how stupid people are. I have time on my side and it's not that in the way...but I do want it gone.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
11/8/20 9:55 a.m.

I actually had to pay to get rid of most of the last car I did that to.  Unless I missed a market shift in the last year, steel is worth less than used Saran Wrap these days . . .

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/20 10:07 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

I knew there was something I forgot to upload. 

I'm glad you put that up.  That was one of my early runs before I figured out launch rpm better.  The bog is much worse.

11/14/20 9:19 a.m.

I decided to scrap the Avalon myself to maximize recoup. No one would pay me for it to pick it up. They all wanted ME to pay THEM. Screw that. Unfortunately I don't have a real truck nor a real trailer...so I...improvised. Luckily I'm only 2 miles from the best yard in town. What's your sketchiest haul?

And that's $101.20 back in the budget!

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9d2HBmDjlGqz0eorUMiYidf0mSpj8gqRkVTp8K7hMfELG0mlF1g7EUOVFEMTk0Wa