1 2 3 ... 8
spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/22/20 11:26 a.m.

So, I've now been friend with Mazdeuce long enough.. that I'm going to what he does and start a build thread before I have the car. Which is also fitting.. since I'm buying Ronald from him.

Ronald is the Give Love a Chance Miata Seth bought last year.

I was trying to figure out what the car was called.. and Seth made reference to Ronald when the Mac D name was found under the plastic  in his thread, although he could only ever call it the crappy miata.

So I'm referring to it as Ronald.

So why am I picking up Ronald right now? isn't hazmat about to get track prep work?

Back in December, Seth and I were in talks about a vehicle in his fleet becoming mine (that wasn't Ronald)during the summer. When Rufus went up for sale.. Seth asked me if I'd like the Crappy Miata instead....

I responded that a normal person would say no... but I'm not a normal person. and didn't think much more of it because.. well that was something that might happen in the summer.

then Seth hit me up last week with details and said, do you want the crappy miata?

My immediate response was Yes because I've not dropped a bunch of money into hazmat yet. I'll go into that more in my hazmat thread. but basically my confidence in Hazmat is at a low and slowly coming back up.

so instead of putting all this money into a car that may have the motor let go and then I'm screwed, I get a backup car right now and then I can start working on hazmat after one lap.

Ronald does more stuff than Hazmat and I really like Ronald.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/22/20 1:17 p.m.

Following. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/22/20 2:31 p.m.

As someone who doesn't like Miatas, I really love this crappy Miata. Life is just such that I'm staring down the barrel of watching it sit for 2+ years and I don't want to do that. I want it to be loved and driven and raced and loved more. 

spacecadet
1/22/20 2:36 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

As someone who doesn't like Miatas, I really love this crappy Miata. Life is just such that I'm staring down the barrel of watching it sit for 2+ years and I don't want to do that. I want it to be loved and driven and raced and loved more. 

I just want to highlight how this is the same way I got the last car I bought from you.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/22/20 2:38 p.m.

A crappy Miata is a wonderful thing!

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
1/22/20 2:43 p.m.

Miata is always the answer! I mean hell... I have a Mazda for berks sake and I love the little bugger! And this is coming from a guy that has been a GM man all his life haha.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 2:44 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

same boat.  I'm not a miata guy but i love THIS miata.  Seth had given me right of first refusal when he picked it up, and it's not the right time for me to own it either.  I'm hoping when mr spacecadet is ready to move on that one of us is ready for it to come back.  Occasionally I search for miatas, and none of them give me the feelings that this one did.  I got to babysit it for a couple months, i enjoyed every moment and so did my kids

spacecadet
1/22/20 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

thats one of my favorite photos from the original thread.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/22/20 3:49 p.m.
spacecadet said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I just want to highlight how this is the same way I got the last car I bought from you.

I tend to buy cars to do a thing that I want to do today. What I've been bad at is moving them on when I want to do something else. This car has sat for much much less time than the last couple before I sold them, and that makes me happy. Cars are built, they exist, to be driven and bring joy through driving. 

spacecadet
1/22/20 4:07 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Cars are built, they exist, to be driven and bring joy through driving. 

*cheers to THAT*

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/22/20 6:14 p.m.

So what's the plan? Strictly a Hazmat backup? Paco lift and Fox coilovers and a rally lightbar? Aero and 1000 pound springs?

spacecadet
1/22/20 7:52 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor :

the car is a well put together PR Rallyx car right now. It also can do double duty as a track carand I'm planning to use it as such in the next 2 months. 

It's also fairly comfortable around town, so I'm planning to DD it for a while since it gets similar mpg to hazmat and runs 40-50cent cheaper per gallon fuel 

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
1/22/20 8:26 p.m.

subbed

mazdeuce - Seth
1/23/20 7:59 a.m.

Two days. Who's excited? I'm excited. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/20 8:50 a.m.

The only thing I have to add here is that I'm completely on board with the crappy Miata thing. I've been daily-ing E36 M3iata this week and other than the rock hard ride, it's so much fun.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/20 9:08 a.m.

I'm a fan of cheap Miatas.  Do something cool.

spacecadet
1/26/20 10:02 p.m.

Ronald and I are making our way home.

Currently about halfway there.

I killed a front sway bar endlink today and we lost 2 lower alternator bolts yesterday. The one I installed this morning with a nut to hold it in place, along with new belts is doing great.

E36 M3 reception in what's basically the dead center of the Texas triangle.

I'll try to recap the weekend tomorrow.

spacecadet
1/27/20 12:39 a.m.

Ronald and I made it home to DFW. which.. I wasn't sure we would 12 hours ago.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/27/20 5:29 a.m.

Ugly stickered up Miata is best Miata. I look forward to seeing more of the antics with this car.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/27/20 5:54 a.m.

Glad to hear you made it home. I slept badly last night knowing that all the things happened with the car. I've been driving it regularly including a trip to Austin and back a couple weeks ago and I really thought the car was more sorted than it seems to be. 

spacecadet
1/27/20 7:11 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Seth I am still super happy you sold me this car. Yesterday was a hell of an adventure and I got to know Ronald really well.

I did a back to back comparison of the lower seat cushions and man.. someone needs to have you go do that as a job. I love your lower seat cushion design that much more.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/27/20 7:22 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

I was so happy with the cushion that I allllllllllmost didn't send it with you. If you swap seats, don't throw it away. I'm sure I'll have another Miata eventually and with some sort of actual upholstery (not a towel) it would be divine. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/20 7:32 a.m.

What's a Miata adventure without issues and breakdowns?

shagles
shagles Reader
1/27/20 9:26 a.m.

Any plans to bring Ronald out to DFW rallycross when it gets going (hopefully) in March?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/27/20 9:38 a.m.

Im going to need details please 

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J9TJKmJBSsqWoJm7i81y2Aj2EX1PbfMLDQKPGkxpk78fS7U6u4jjCaV8iWGITSXT