1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25
Skervey
Skervey Reader
2/26/16 8:52 p.m.

Been away from the mazda for the most part but iv been driving it when I can. Plan tomorrow to try a new trick that im sure you will see if it works. Also going to try and get a set of drift wheels and tires. Fingers crossed that I get the set!

Here if a video I shot at the drift event im going to try and go to. Here is a link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHuVHFvMhGQ

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VHuVHFvMhGQ

Skervey
Skervey Reader
2/29/16 7:34 p.m.

Finally a update on the car!

Last weekend I got home to drive the car a little and it ran grate.

At home with the next of kin the MX5

Also did my first real burn out ever... Kinda week but it means the diff works. I like these tires so im going easy on them. This also comes to a surprise as to what I did this weekend.

Yep those are drifting wheels and tires! Picked up a full set of mustang wheels and some crummy old tires for $40! After looking for a long time it was the best bang for the buck! All tires hold air which means they can be burned! One tires was off the bead so it has water in it and needs to be taken to a tire shop to have the water taken out. Other then that a quick pressure wash and they were good to go.

They are 16's which is what I wanted. 16's will be easier to find used tires for. They also fit under that car better then 17's. The offset is much better then I thought it was going to be they don't sit way up under the car like I thought they would.

I also did some work with the borbet's that are on the car.

I wanted to do something to make them stand out just a bit more. So I filled the lettering with paint.

So this is the set up I used. Well almost, turned out that can of plasti bip was dry so I used spray on instead. I sprayed the paint down in the lid of the spray can and made a puddle that I could pull out with the syringe.

Also had scrap wood so I build some mini ramps so the jack will actually fit under the car now!

So plans are to go to a drift event this weekend and get my feet wet! I am planning for it now, what prep I need to do to the car and what to take ect. I know its going to be a spin out fest for me but should be a ton of fun if I don't brake anything and can keep the big V8 cool. So biggest thing checked off the list I can get a full set of spares in the car and jack and jack stands and be able to have a passenger.

The camera will come with me next weekend as well as a gopro but who knows when I will be able to get through the footage.

Other things going on in the shop, there is another 302 waiting for its turn for some fun!

Its a 302 from a 88 LTD with a AOD trans. We are going to clean it up do a soft rebuild (gaskets, timing chain, water pump) then we are going to put it into my pops 64 F100. Its going to be months before we make any big progress but its a start.

Also still looking at going EFI but I think I made a good brake through on the parts that I need! Going to save me some $ which means it will happen sooner!

Skervey
Skervey Reader
3/30/16 8:55 p.m.

Wow sorry on the month long wait for an update!

Been busy with life and done a bit with the car to. First off is the drift! Got the car ready and had my better 1/2 follow in case the mazda broke down (had to be at work early the next day)

Car made it there and back with no issues. Well kinda, more on that later. This event had 3x the number of cars then the first event I went to so it was very unnerving so I didn't take near as many runs as I could have. Got there and got checked in. Its $50 to get in the door and drift as much as your can can handle or until it brakes. I put the worst set of spares on the car and waited a 1/2 hour for the first group of people to run there tires out and for it to clear up. First run was I was going to just run the track and not worry about drifting but the second turn I could see the track was much bigger then it looked from the side so I thought I would give it a try. Thanks to the V8 just a good blip on the gas got the car to rotate. It was not as hard as I thought it would be but that being said I spun all but two laps.

I was able to "drift" the second turn and I was under-steering the lower turn and I was spinning out on the last every time. As you can see in the video (see below). On my fourth run I was able to slow things down in my head and think about what I was doing and I was able to counter steer and keep the car from spinning out!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/L-IKV_o78O8

In all I did 6 runs not much because there was just to many people out for me to feel comfortable. Since I would take two runs and then stop to cool down the almost bare tires lasted the whole time so I might even get a few more laps out of them next time.

I didn't drive the car home I drove it to my brothers then picked it up Friday on my way to work then after work drive it home. On the way to work with the car It was running a bit hot but not to bad. Then on my way home (a two hour drive right now, crazy life) it was getting even hotter. It got up to 210 but really liked to stay at 200. It was probably the hottest day the car has been driven (75-80) and it got up to 210 after 40 min at 70mph. So got it home safe but it was not a fun drive.

Then last weekend I got a chance to work on the car. Had a few loose bolts in the rear end that needed to be fixed and one nut that fell off. The biggest thing was the cooling, with summer around the corner and with me moving into an apartment soon I knew I had to get it fixed now. Got the car in the air and the first job was the under drive pulley. I was not very happy with it from the start so I found the stock pulley blasted and painted it and got it on the car. With the larger pulley I had to go grab a new belt. Took three tries but I found the right size. I hope it will spin the water pump a bit faster to help with cooling as well as keep the car charging at idle. I also picked up a new can of coolant to do a flush.

This was the worst job I have ever done on a car... The old coolant smelled like barf and it made a mess all over the floor and me. I am not kidding I was gagging under the car... Not sure what the issue was but it was bad! I think that something died in the motor while it was sitting and has turned into brown sludge in the coolant...

So ya...

After the flush it took me a day of getting the cooling system to bleed all the air out. Now it runs cooler but I think I have found another issue. I think my gauge is reading wrong to. If I turn my fan on it makes the temp jump up by 5-10 then slowwley drops back down. I think the gauge is crap so a old school analog gauge is on the list.

Anyway that wraps up my drift and post drift repairs to the mazda hope to go back soon and try again! All in all a good weekend as well working on the car. Even got a chance to brake out my old yamaha and take it for a spin before the rain hit.

Then got to sit and watch the rain as I waited for the car to cool back down. Not a bad was to spend a spring day.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
3/30/16 9:05 p.m.

More photos coming up from the drift event. This is what I wish I could do but also gives you an idea of how good some of these guys/cars are! See more of the cars on my Instagram page @petrol360

Sorry that some are edited and others are not, don't know if I will ever get around to editing them all but that just means I have more fun stuff coming my way!

Ironsides
Ironsides New Reader
3/31/16 7:57 a.m.

Great update! Looks like quite a fun car!

Skervey
Skervey Reader
4/14/16 8:46 p.m.

The build should pick up in a bit, EFI parts have been ordered! Hope to have them all next week then take next week to assemble all the parts off the car to figure out any wiring issues before I start pulling parts off the Mazda. Fingers crossed it goes good!

Also looking for help on a key for the doors. My key wont open the doors so either new doors or even new ignition either way I can't lock the car. Anyone know of the easiest way to add a lock? Locksmith, new door handles, electric locks (ebay) any help would be grate!

Skervey
Skervey Reader
4/28/16 10:22 a.m.

More photos will come up soon, just got the power lock kit in the mail so that will go on as soon as I get back to the car!

For now check out the sound of my people!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/dPvUgoE8kh8

Also check out the other videos on the page, iv got more videos of the mazda as well as other projects. Thanks!

Skervey
Skervey Reader
5/8/16 9:00 p.m.

More updates on the car! The biggest is power locks. I don't have a key that opens the doors so I need some way to lock the car and get back in other then going through the hatch. So I found these cheap ebay power lock kits for $20 and they seemed to good to be true but it looked like a good shot.

Came with everything I needed to install which was surprised with! If you are looking to get a set for your car id say go for it!

Started with pulling off the door parts to install the locks.

I got to use a new tool! I used a a nut zert on the doors using two wholes that were already in the door. They worked well and went in easy, can't wait to use them more!

The wiring went well but not fun at all. It does work but not amazing. It locks and unlocks the driver side very well but the passenger side takes a few times to lock the passenger side. Not a big deal but its all good!

One more issue is the power steering was leaking due to the new pulley im guessing. So a new o-ring was used to try and fix it on the lines going onto the rack itself.

I don't think that did the trick still seems to be leaking but slower now.

After working on the car gave her a good wash! one of my favorite parts!

So as for now im hopping to drive the car home next weekend so I can have it with me! The only issue is the power steering leak which I should be able to fix here away from the shop. After the test drives this weekend it looks like it should be fine so finger crossed it makes the trip!

Up2nogood
Up2nogood New Reader
6/30/16 12:29 a.m.

Skervey and JTNWevo thanks for yalls advice. I applogize about the extremely long reply I have moved and everything else. I got my little car running finally with the walbro255 and with a shot of fluid and it started right up and idled!! Fellas may I ask y'all how is your alternator wired up? When I got my car is was a little more than half finished and just has cut wires on the back of the alternator. Skervey the Mazda looks killer! Thanks again for making this build thread, it's incredible!!

simon_C
simon_C New Reader
6/30/16 1:44 a.m.

I love those Borbets! I have a set on my miata. They're not that common, it seems, especially on japanese cars. I've always wondered what they would look like on an FC. It's a very good look.

And i've always stood by my opinion that v8s sound FANTASTIC on fart cannons. It's held true every time i've heard it.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
6/30/16 5:22 p.m.

Thanks Guys!

Up2nogood- Thanks man! Love to hear that it fired right up that's a killer feeling! For mine it was very easy all the wires went back into the + side of the car. I ran mine to the same wire that goes from my starter to the main fuse of the car on the driver side fender. Then the one wire left over needs a light bulb wired to it to work. (I know silly but that's how she works) I just have a single incandescent bulb wired in that is under the hood but the right way to do it is to fond the wire for the charging lamp on the dash and wire it into that. I know I talked a lot about it when I was doing it but if you need some pic or more info just ask and ill shoot you a PM.

simon_C- I really like mine but... Not on the FC I have them up for trade now and haven't had a hit yet. They just don't do it for me and I wouldn't mind having a 5x4.5 wheel so I don't have to run spacers.

Well been slow going on the car, I have moved started a new job, became a simi home owner and tied the knot with an amazing girl that lets me play with my grown up toys! All in 6 months. So life has been up in the air and this build has taken a back seat. Just last week I moved the car to my place so good by shop and hello parking lot!

I had to change the oil and fix a leak in the power steering rack before I brought the car on the 2 hour drive home. It also became a home for a mouse while it was sitting. But she ran well and got here with only a sore back so no complaints!

Had to clean it up before the road trip!

The next Wednesday there was a small car meet I was going to go to so stopped right down the road to fill up and she wouldn't start back up, all it did was click. Had to get a jump and then I just drove for a bit and parked it. Then Charged the battery and took it to napa they tested it and said it was good so that only leaves the starter which I thought it might have been. So Tried the car again Saturday for cars and coffee and it started right up drove for 40min parked for two hours then fired right back up and made it home. Then two times this week I went to drive it to work and nothing but a click...

At Cars and coffee

So looked around and sounds like the starter motors of fleebay are the samae ones you would get at the parts store but 1/2 the price and no core charge so I took a chance and ordered one. It was cheaper then a new battery anyway.

I thought it was fun that it came with the test data for the motor. I have no idea if its the right one and I will have to go buy a jack sometime so I can get under the car and try to swap it out. Fingers crossed! Either way there will be more pic and more post which is a win for yall!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
6/30/16 10:33 p.m.

What size are the borbets? I really like them.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
7/1/16 7:15 a.m.

They are 16" x7.5 i think iv never had the tires off to really measure them. Iv got them listed under Raleigh CL with specs I found online that Ithink are right gor my wheel.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
7/1/16 8:15 a.m.

Hmm

What price for a fellow grm member?

Assuming that they will fit the protege. ..

Skervey
Skervey Reader
7/2/16 11:15 a.m.

Id really like to trade them. I don't have another set of wheels to put on the car yet other then the drift wheels and the tires on them are not road worthy.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/5/16 10:58 a.m.
Skervey wrote: Thanks Guys! Up2nogood- Thanks man! Love to hear that it fired right up that's a killer feeling! For mine it was very easy all the wires went back into the + side of the car. I ran mine to the same wire that goes from my starter to the main fuse of the car on the driver side fender. Then the one wire left over needs a light bulb wired to it to work. (I know silly but that's how she works) I just have a single incandescent bulb wired in that is under the hood but the right way to do it is to fond the wire for the charging lamp on the dash and wire it into that. I know I talked a lot about it when I was doing it but if you need some pic or more info just ask and ill shoot you a PM. simon_C- I really like mine but... Not on the FC I have them up for trade now and haven't had a hit yet. They just don't do it for me and I wouldn't mind having a 5x4.5 wheel so I don't have to run spacers. Well been slow going on the car, I have moved started a new job, became a simi home owner and tied the knot with an amazing girl that lets me play with my grown up toys! All in 6 months. So life has been up in the air and this build has taken a back seat. Just last week I moved the car to my place so good by shop and hello parking lot! I had to change the oil and fix a leak in the power steering rack before I brought the car on the 2 hour drive home. It also became a home for a mouse while it was sitting. But she ran well and got here with only a sore back so no complaints! Had to clean it up before the road trip! The next Wednesday there was a small car meet I was going to go to so stopped right down the road to fill up and she wouldn't start back up, all it did was click. Had to get a jump and then I just drove for a bit and parked it. Then Charged the battery and took it to napa they tested it and said it was good so that only leaves the starter which I thought it might have been. So Tried the car again Saturday for cars and coffee and it started right up drove for 40min parked for two hours then fired right back up and made it home. Then two times this week I went to drive it to work and nothing but a click... At Cars and coffee So looked around and sounds like the starter motors of fleebay are the samae ones you would get at the parts store but 1/2 the price and no core charge so I took a chance and ordered one. It was cheaper then a new battery anyway. I thought it was fun that it came with the test data for the motor. I have no idea if its the right one and I will have to go buy a jack sometime so I can get under the car and try to swap it out. Fingers crossed! Either way there will be more pic and more post which is a win for yall!

The issue that you describe is pretty common on fc.

It is usually the ignition switch being weak. A relay will solve this issue.

A new starter will usually solve it for awhile because it is more efficient. However the issue usually comes back.

I assume you are using the stock ignition switch wiring without a relay.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
7/6/16 6:05 a.m.

Well that's the thing I am using none of the stock ignition. I had issues with mine from the start so I added my own. I thought that it might not be giving the starter enough power but it used to work fine then started working less and less. It still clicks the solenoid very hard and every time I hit the switch but the starter does not go. Going to try and drop the new starter on tonight if I don't get rained out like last night. Just hope the "feels like" temp is below 100 yesterday it got up to 96 and was supposed to feel like 106...

mightymike
mightymike Reader
7/6/16 1:07 p.m.

It's 74 degrees in the Shop of Good intentions.....

wvumtnbkr
7/6/16 3:24 p.m.
Skervey wrote: Well that's the thing I am using none of the stock ignition. I had issues with mine from the start so I added my own. I thought that it might not be giving the starter enough power but it used to work fine then started working less and less. It still clicks the solenoid very hard and every time I hit the switch but the starter does not go. Going to try and drop the new starter on tonight if I don't get rained out like last night. Just hope the "feels like" temp is below 100 yesterday it got up to 96 and was supposed to feel like 106...

You are not using the key? Add a relay anyway when you are in there. It will help.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
7/6/16 8:20 p.m.

It was about 95 when I swapped the starter! But the job is done all but adding a different style connector for the signal wire.

Yep I'm not using the key I bypassed the key because it was not working for some reason. I followed the wires back to the alarm and that's when I lost signal. So I always wanted a push starter so I made one. But mine is very hidden!

Skervey
Skervey Reader
7/11/16 8:51 a.m.

Well good news got the running again. The starter was not the issue it was the ignition wire going from the starter button to the solenoid. I guess for what ever reason it does not supply enough power to fully engage the starter anymore. I find it funny that it used to work but now it doesn't. Anyway I needed a simple quick fix because my apartment was going to tow the car so I just added a relay between my starter button wire and the solenoid. Seems to work so hopefully I can drive the mazda some and park it in different spots showing them it does work so they wont tow it. If you don't follow me on Instagram at Petrol360 to see more photos of the car and whats going on. Also took some more video so hopefully I will have another short video of the car.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
7/13/16 9:23 p.m.

Got a quick Q for anyone who can help. My break pedal is very heavy, works fine but takes a lot of pressure to really get the car to break hard. What tips and tricks do yall know to get the breaks to feel a bit lighter and a bit more touchy?

Just for your info. Stock 4 piston breaks turbo 2 calipers in a non turbo 2 car. S/S break lines and stock pads. I don't think its a bleeding issue the breaks feels the same before and after swapping to S/S lines.

Maybe a larger booster? The V8 might not make as much vacuum?

Sorry for the lack of pics here was from getting the starter working this past weekend.

wvumtnbkr
7/13/16 9:28 p.m.

Is the booster working? Turbo brakes are the same as all the others except 4 lug on an s4.

My vote is booster issue.

Also, the way you fixed the starter is exactly what I was trying to suggest.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
7/14/16 9:07 a.m.

Well the car was a 4 lug car to start then got all the turbo brakes and 5 lug swap. I can tell a difference when the motor in on vs off. When I have my foot on the break and shut the motor off the pedal gets very stiff. I guess the booster is working but maybe I just need a larger one?

Ya just didn't seem a likely cause since the solenoidbwas working and the voltage was dropping showing voltage going through the starter. Either war it works grate now. 2nd day in a row driving it to work and its been running well, the drive home is 30min and a lot of stop and go in traffic but she has been doing well.

wvumtnbkr
7/14/16 11:02 a.m.

Lemme check on the master cylinder differences between 4 lug and 5....

BRB.

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GC4riZoOO8uxi7YUSzX0O4yYVeHRgWz20rbruatxvBTK5joCT7D0ZLss3AMhWHT3