1 ... 23 24 25
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/22/17 7:32 p.m.

I should have gone this route instead of megasquirt. Id have the duster back on the road already.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
8/22/17 7:37 p.m.

Also made progress on another side project for the RX7! Iv been waiting to add a rear defuser ever since I did the lip and side skirts. The rear of the car looks really high now, and there is no hack way of making the bumper look lower that will look good like the rest of the car. So simple answer is a rear defuseser. I know I wont get any performance gains for this, its all for show.

So at work we have a laser cutter and I found a sign shop supply store that sells black cloraplast sheets 4'x8' for $12 that's a deal so I grabbed a sheet and did some test with it. It might be a little flexible but I have some ideas to help that.

Anyway with the help from a really good buddy at work we got it all drawn out in CAD and today we cut a test piece with cardboard. I think it look sweet! Really pumped on how its going to look on the car!

0O6A7407

0O6A7408

0O6A7409

0O6A7410

It might be a bit to "over the top" for a street car for some people but im really having fun making this car look the part if you know what I mean. Still have a few more ideas for the car after this but my list is running really low...

Anyway let me know what you guys think, this might be something I can make and sell or give the files out to those who can have it cut out them selves.

StayOne_Benz
StayOne_Benz New Reader
8/24/17 4:38 p.m.

This will look great. Ties the back in with the rest of the car. Good job man!

simon_C
simon_C New Reader
8/24/17 7:07 p.m.

hey thats cool!

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
9/25/17 9:42 p.m.

It took long enough but im finally making headway on the rear defuser. We took some more time to work over the design and make it fit the car better. I don't want to have to cut out the spare tire so I we had to work around it.

We have a CO2 laser at work so we always try come up with fun projects to play with it. Again im using 4mm cloraplast.

We got some good cuts but it did not cut all the way the way through. Ended up using a razor blade to pop the the parts out.

IMG_2402 by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" width="500" />

We also made some test cuts, we made teeth that interlock for all of the parts. I used standard epoxy and it worked really well but im going to try and find some glue meant for plastic. The epoxy likes to pop off when I really try to bend the parts.

IMG_2403 by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" width="500" />

simon_C
simon_C New Reader
9/25/17 10:23 p.m.

Pictures don't seem to be working :(

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
9/26/17 9:50 a.m.

Ya I tried to get it working last night but gave up... Idk why it worked one time but not another, it keeps changing everytime I try.

Any I cant use spell check with this new forum setup. Not a fan.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/26/17 2:44 p.m.

Pics work now.

Any chance you have pics of the new one on the car?  I assume the cutout is for the gas tank?

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
9/27/17 6:56 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No photos yet, haven't actually assembled it yet. Been really busy with my side job and been trying to pick up some freelance writing for car stuff. They are good excuses but still ready to get it on the car.

The cut out is actually for the spare tire bump in the back of the car. In the FC the spare sits vertically in the very back. I could have cut the bump out seeing as im no longer storing a spare tire there but I don't want to chop up the car if I don't have to.

Im going to try and use epoxy to hold the parts together and slide some tig filler rods inside the corrugations to give it a bit more strength. This won't really provide down force, I have no use for any more since its not a track car. But I also don't want it to fly apart when im doing 80mph on the interstate.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
9/28/17 7:26 a.m.

Today was a win! 170,000 on the RX7! That means iv put over 8,000 on the RX7 sense I did the motor swap! 

I know that's not a lot but its a 2nd car and I don't drive it if its raining or if its to hot/cold. But this cool fall weather has had me behind the wheel everyday! I really love racking up the miles on this car. When I was thinking about doing the swap I would see motor swapped cars on CL all the time that said something like "motor swap was done only has 500-2000 miles ago so its brand new!" I knew that meant that they had issues and they were giving up on the project.

So my ultimate goal was to put 10,000 miles on the car so im well on the way. Might not get it this year but I will get it there!

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
10/4/17 7:18 p.m.

Haven't talked much about the FiTech system but I did this video one it.

For some reason it wont go lean on decel so it pops like crazy when I let off the throttle. Kinda annoying but man it sounds soo amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/yhF9T5ctQro?start=6

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
10/8/17 11:36 a.m.

No mods or updates but I was finally  able to go to a cars and coffee event. Here are the photos!

0O6A8355dng by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" />

0O6A8368dng by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" />

0O6A8318dng by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" />

0O6A8311dng by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" />

0O6A8328dng by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" />

0O6A8331dng by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" />

0O6A8333dng by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" />

My photos are getting better, learning the new camera system a lot latley. Been shooting a lot more wedding videos with fall coming in so iv been extra busy.

Also hope to start a new build thread on my 64 F100 next year, still waiting on a good motor that I can use. Then I can start to order, motor mounts, flywheel/clutch, exhaust, ect. Really excited to get that back on the road.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
10/23/17 5:55 p.m.

Here is a update on the rear defuser that we laser cut out.

Got it all cut out a few weeks ago, been sitting on the parts coming up with a game plan.  My biggest issue was what glue I was going to use. I tested standard epoxy and wasn't happy with it. So I found some plastic epoxy and it seemed to work much better.

I also picked up a aluminum strap to use on the front of the defuser. I used that on the front but on the back I just mounted it to the bumper. Not amazing but it is really not functional so its not going to see much if any down force.

So here we go! Also I can make more if anyone is interested, I can flat pack them like Ikea and its a cheap material so they will be peaty cheap. Just let me know on here or on instagram.

0O6A8573dng by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" />

0O6A8555dng by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" />

IMG_7790 by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" />

IMG_7794 by Skervey Skerv, on Flickr" />

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
2/2/18 9:50 a.m.

Wow its been 3 months! Mazda is still kicking, I did have one brake down a week ago. Seems the plug going to the alternator doesn't make great contact so it looses juice once and a while. Between that and the cold weather and snow days it just got the battery to low and couldn't recover.

I installed some hawk HP+ pads and it really improved the braking of the car, the pads that were on it were junk! The HP+ are a bit aggressive for street driving but I got them from a local guy for about $20 and I figured id give them a try!

I had another brake down a month ago, the clutch push rob backed out after being on the highway for about an hour. I was headed to a drift event to watch and when I pulled off the highway I had no clutch. Thankfully I was able to limp it to the track and borrow tools to get it fixed. Funny thing is I knew this might happen again so I had the parts to fix the issue for good. I used a mush larger bolt that was not threaded all the way so it can't back out again. Should be welding the nut on the bolt soon but don't have the place to do it right now.

piedmont-2165 " />

That leads me to the next thing, the car will get parked for a few months while I get life stuff figured out. Some big exciting things are coming soon!

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
9/29/18 8:35 p.m.

Oh man this is a trip back in time... So let me catch you guys up!

Me and my wife bought a house back in my home town. We moved, new jobs, working on the house, our worlds getting flipped on our heads ect. No time to wrench on the RX7 but really no need it was running good. I did upgrade the alternator to a 3g and solved a charging issue that iv been fighting for a long time.

So once I got sometime on my hands I took a long look at the RX7 and really I didn't find anything I was chomping at the bit to do to it. I really liked it, was a ton of fun to drive, but I need a project and I did most of what I wanted to do to it. AKA it was finished. 

Also I moved out to the bone docks (No internet, cows out number people, a bigger piece of sky, ect), roads are amazing and cops are few and far between. I was getting a little more speed under my belt then I needed and knew I needed to slow down. My dad had impoted an old army land rover and I was driving it a lot and loving it. It was slow and cool and everyone gave a thumbs up to it on the road! It was perfect for me slow, 4x4, turners heads. We moved to a dirt road and I now owned a few aces that I needed to keep up. 

To keep it short I found a buyer for the RX7 and all the parts, then found a 1972 F250 big block 4x4 4 speed. That gets us up to date, don't really miss the RX7 and im in love with the truck and haven fun until I finish that build! Just need to keep moving forward!

1 ... 23 24 25

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FeIEPhHtxLXMDOhXEFEsxzTmBayT6wYrMG946LvdOkP6jiFjr1JJXAA3ppVhfNq5