1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 59
fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/28/12 3:12 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

my carb would be great for your engine and your carb would be great for mine!

Current is S5 6pt streetport, next one (in the works) is S4 4pt half bridge with S5 NA rotating.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/28/12 3:13 p.m.

Take it from someone who has done both: FI is WAY better. Says the guy with twin Dellorto DHLA's on his Jensen Healey and FI on his 13B powered race car and who, as soon as humanly possible, will be building a FI setup for the J-H.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/2/13 12:36 p.m.

Budget is taking some major whacks lately. Picked up my $500 trailer and may be grabbing a $500 Snap-On tool box from a local shop that's closing.

Here are pics of the Webber as promised:

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
1/2/13 4:15 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

they won't come through :(

can you email them to me? fidelity101@gmail.com

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/2/13 5:13 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=pcb.10200186724138836&type=1

see if that works. They're on my phone and emailing is a pain so I'm looking at the low hanging fruit first.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
1/2/13 5:16 p.m.

ah thats why, work blocks youtube and facebook. I'll check when I get home then or look on my phone lol.

EDIT: looked on phone, still 20 minutes left on the clock. I don't see a choke and those horns are pretty rusted but I just picked up new 4" long horns for my carb that will bolt onto that. I'll keep you in mind on that carb but it wont be for at least a month or two.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/2/13 6:35 p.m.

I'm in no rush. If you decide you want it it's yours.

I don't see a choke either, which is strange since it has throttle arm mounts on both sides of the carb, which isn't something you see on the SP.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/14/13 2:29 p.m.

Slow progress is still progress.

Pulled another 10 lbs of steel out of the front end after staring at it a while. Borrowing a welder this week from GRM member Barnca so I can start doing some seam welding.

Also installed more lights in the garage - hooray being able to see!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/14/13 2:32 p.m.

Waiting for next paycheck so I can buy 6th port inserts and then install the exhaust. It's getting to the point where I need to start spending some money to continue on.

Next project is dropping the rear sub-frame and the gas tank. I'll be replacing it with this:

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/18/13 9:43 a.m.

Got the exhaust system pulled last night finally (somebody put a bead of weld on one of the nuts..). Also pulled the rear bumper and ancillary stuff, which means another 20+ pounds pulled out.

Also pulled the air pump garbage out, but need to get some new RTV to make a gasket for my blockoff plate.

Next step is dropping the gas tank and figuring out how I'm going to mount the fuel cell while keeping in mind my plan to have a rear-mounted radiator in the near future.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/18/13 9:43 a.m.

Exhaust is for sale now.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/18/13 10:25 a.m.

Oh yeah, I'm also looking at selling the Miata to buy a more comfortable new DD....

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/20/13 10:44 a.m.

Ready to drop the gas tank and start cutting out steel!

Borrowed a mig welder so I can move ahead with some seam welding and cut out a lot more excess steel and replace it with spars to support the body work. Finally digging in deep. Need to place an order for steel.

But first.... I need to organize the garage more. We bought the house a year ago and the garage has always been on the back burner for other house projects. Floor space is limited, so I'm moving vertical to maintain as much open space as possible. Need to install more lights too....

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/20/13 10:47 a.m.

Yeah, my 15mm wrench grew legs.... Irritating.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
1/20/13 12:26 p.m.

lowes 4 ft lights. 10ea, and work well. quiet, too.

im up to 7 in my basement shop. 5 over the work bay.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon HalfDork
1/21/13 6:30 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: lowes 4 ft lights. 10ea, and work well. quiet, too. im up to 7 in my basement shop. 5 over the work bay.

This I have 4 hanging in my garage tied into the single light socket in the ceiling. Looks ghetto but works great.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/21/13 8:43 p.m.

I have several 4' fixtures already hung and one 4 bulb fixture I need to add a plug onto. I hate electricity and wiring so I've been avoiding it.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/13 9:14 p.m.

I don't know if I like the RX-7 updates or the garage updates more...

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/22/13 8:18 a.m.

haha well the RX-7 updates are going to get more entertaining in the near future now that I have a welder.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/22/13 8:25 a.m.

This is inspiration for the rear-mount radiator setup:

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/24/13 6:55 a.m.

Weber DCOE's were available with and without a cold start device. Dellorto DHLA's almost always had them, the 48mm on the Abomination and the twin 40's on the J-H have them. The big difference: the Weber just adds fuel, has no fast idle provision. The Dellorto introduces a vacuum leak which bumps the idle up. Or at least that's the theory, in practice it's about as crappy a setup as I have ever seen and is one reason I plan to ditch the Dells for FI.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/24/13 10:52 a.m.

Thanks for the insight. Carbs are black magic to me once you get beyond the simple units on a lawn mower.

Yet another reason to stay EFI.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/24/13 12:40 p.m.

And the Miata is as good as sold.

It will become a full-time play car for a hillclimbing buddy. I couldn't be happier that it's going to him, though I'll be sad to see it leave. I've been racing and daily driving it for 2 years without fault. It hasn't always been glamorous, but more often than not I had a big E36 M3 eating grin on my face.

I'll be sending the car off right with a WinterX event this weekend.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/24/13 6:40 p.m.

Put the RX7 back together enough to roll it outside to take a deep chill.That should make knocking the rest of the sound deadening out much easier.

First time she has been on wheels since October!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/24/13 8:21 p.m.

And for those wondering, I got $118 for the catalytic converter and $18 for each (2) pre-cat.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 59

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RUaI4OKwOZp2SDkrfaw2O6SKXZucW7tlaV0QPwKeUgMxws7zN4PmfsySTxDFRQzk