1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/25/20 5:01 p.m.

Finally got that magical shipping notification that my Vorshlag order is on the way!

Hopefully I'll be able to get the suspension all buttoned up this weekend and get the car back to drivable condition. For one, I can't wait to see what it feels like with new suspension, wheels and tires, but I also need to get it aligned and figure out the remaining kinks to be worked out before the first local AutoX and HPDE events are upon me.

I've explicitly avoided registering for any events so far given the hurry up and wait process that I've been in.

In other news, now that I'm feeling much more confident in my ability to maintain and upgrade this thing, I've been on the lookout for E36 or E46 convertibles that could fill the role of a warm weather cruiser and/or top down roadtrip mobile for my SO and I. I've never owned a convertible before and I think its finally time to break the trend ;).

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/27/20 3:24 p.m.

They are easy to work on, just gotta watch out for the subframe issue and then some of the earlier ones tend to rust at the front of the rocker panels.

trumant
3/7/20 9:54 p.m.

Finally had some good weather and plenty of free time and got the Bilstein PSS9 coilovers and Vorshlag camber plates installed.

Once I had the wheels back on and got it down on the ground its quite clear that I need to adjust the ride height in the rear up about an inch.

That job will have to wait until tomorrow though as it's dark and my back is killing me.

Once the ride height is dialed in it will be time to find a good alignment shop to get me setup with an aggressive street alignment and then start planning some autos dates to see what this thing will do.

trumant
3/8/20 5:40 p.m.

Ride height adjustments made in the rear and I took advantage of the 60 degree temps to get out and beat on it a bit.

Strangely while the rear spring perches were both set to the same height the right side is still a bit higher than the left.

Front negative camber is currently pretty aggressive and it's twitchy as hell compared to the previous alignment. That said, I put a good 75 miles or so on it today and love the feel of the new suspension. All of the crashiness and creaking from the old rear coils/springs is gone and the overall ride is much more compliant but with very little loss of feel and control.

Can't wait to get the new wheels and tires on once overnight temps stay above 45 and then get it in for alignment.

trumant
5/24/20 8:19 p.m.

Baby has her new shoes on finally. Up next is figuring out where I can get an alignment and ride height figured out.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/24/20 9:38 p.m.

What did you do with the roadstar wheels? I may know a guy with an m coupe.

trumant
5/25/20 8:35 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

I've still got them. On the fence about keeping them or selling them so consider me open to offers.

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/20 3:10 p.m.

Test drove a local 2002 E46 M3 6MT this morning and on my way there and back and later this afternoon out about 125 miles on the E36.

The E46 has 80k on the clock, comes with a second set of Apex ARC-8 wheels and is super clean but for some stone chips on the front air dam.

Had every intention of putting a cash deposit on the E46 following the test drive, but I didn't immediately reach for my pocket when I got out of the car. It rides great, the engine is supernatural in its linear power and the transmission and steering feel are miles above my E36. But.....I've got a one car garage and two cars and a motorcycle already plus the SO's Forester.

I'll never find another E46 this clean again at the price and I'm actually pausing on the purchase decision because of storage concerns.

trumant
6/1/20 1:26 p.m.

Any recommendations for mid-pipe or resonator type setup? I'm running catless/straight-piped right now with UUC catback and this beast really screams, but the drone and overall volume level are a bit intense.

trumant
6/1/20 4:26 p.m.

Unpaused and hit play on the E46 M3 purchase after waking up this morning and not being able to get the car out of my mind all day. You can find a potato-quality picture of the car below:

Basics on it are:

• 02 M3 6MT with 80k on the clock
  • Pile of maintenance records
  • Adjustable Konis, Vorshlag camber plates, adjustable rear camber arms
  • Comes with a square set of Apex ARC-8s with RE71rs with partial autox season use
  • Rear subframe reinforcements and rear bushings already done
  • Recent VANOS service
  • Clean oil analysis suggesting minimal risk of impending rod bearing destruction
  • Interior and exterior generally present an extremely well-maintained car.

So, despite needing to soon deal with some truly heinous driveway and garage shuffling and potentially one of my BMWs needing to live outside under a car cover, I couldn't pass this up.

trumant
6/2/20 5:34 p.m.

Picking up my new E46 baby on Saturday morning. Can't wait to drive it home with my two boys and hear them giggling as we listen to that S54 revving to 7k.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/2/20 7:42 p.m.

Love the M3 (and your E36, as well!

trumant
6/2/20 7:58 p.m.

Years ago (maybe 2003 or 2004) I owned a 2001 E46 330 in the same silver but with the Imola leather interior and Dinan Stage 1 (basically  intake and cat back exhaust). It was the first BMW I ever owned and I loved the car to death. Ended up trading it in for a Saab 92x Aero (Saabaru) just before my first son was born so we had the practicality of a 4 door with storage and AWD. While I enjoyed the Saab it couldn't hold a candle to the 330 and I'll be happy to be an E46 owner for the second time.

Random aside, but after I bought the Saab I ended up buying an RX8 as an autox car. With the Triumph Sprint RS motorcycle I also owned at the time I had the rare honor/ignominy of owning an inline 3, horizontal 4 and rotary engine at the same time. Neither the Triumph nor the RX8 were particularly reliable but the Saabaru was pretty indestructible.

MTechnically (Forum Supporter)
MTechnically (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/4/20 10:20 a.m.

Congrats on the M3. I'm sure you'll love the S54 and it sounds like it's been pretty tastefully modded which is a bonus. It will be interesting to see the long term comparison between the E46 M3 and the swapped E36 as well. What's the plan for the two cars now? It seems like the M3 has been setup to be a bit of a track car and the E36 was headed in that direction too, right?

trumant
6/4/20 11:20 a.m.

What's the plan for the two cars now?

Getting right to the heart of the matter. Given the relatively pristine condition of the E46 relative to the E36, I'm leaning toward keeping the E46 as-is for now and only use it for spirited driving on backroads and perhaps the occasional autox.

The E36 now has the greenlight to go in a far more aggressive direction that will likely involve stripping out the interior, getting a cage installed and the like. It no longer needs to be a safe space for me to pack my kids in the back and hoon around in just for fun.

trumant
6/6/20 7:33 a.m.

Picking up my E46 M3 in an hour and can't wait!

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/6/20 9:21 a.m.
trumant said:

Picking up my E46 M3 in an hour and can't wait!

Very exciting! I had an e46 M3 and loved it!!

trumant
6/6/20 11:14 a.m.

Home!

trumant
6/7/20 5:44 p.m.

The M3 now has it's own thread

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/20 8:06 a.m.

Finally sold the Ebay harness bar that came installed in the car. Listed it on FB marketplace and was sold for $40 in a few hours to a father and son who are building a low budget drift car.

Next parts to be sold off will be the dove grey Vader's and back seats but I don't think I'll be stripping the interior and installing racing seats until late fall or winter.

6/22/20 6:38 p.m.

Dropping my baby off at Bimmerworks tomorrow night or morning after for alignment and ride height adjustment. They have a great reputation for autox and track prep so letting them call the shots on suggested settings and then I'll see where I want to go from there.

Once it's back from alignment the only other items on my list are getting my Hawk brake pads installed and replacing the tired old brake fluid.

Motivation to get back to wrenching on it will come partially from finally having a rolling tool cart. HF cart arrived and was assembled this past weekend. Looking forward to using it and working out an organizational scheme that works.

My local region COVID restrictions are finally starting to relax so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm able to get registered for some local events before September rolls around.

6/23/20 6:50 p.m.

BimmerWorks drop off was a breeze earlier tonight. Their parking lot was quite a sight to behold.

Out of everything there, this was the real stunner

6/23/20 9:33 p.m.

My local BMW CCA just announced their first weekend of HPDE at my local track, NJMP! But....I have my kids that weekend and they aren't permitting any first time drivers to attend as instructors aren't allowed to be in-car.

Hopefully some more local options turn up soon.

6/26/20 7:42 p.m.

Picked up my baby from Bimmerworks today after lunch. First experience with the shop went well. They called several times with updates and pictures of items they wanted to address, namely my poor routing of the brake lines and speed sensors around the front struts and the mushroomed and slightly rusting strut towers.

Invoice was via text message and once I paid from my phone outside the shop my tech came out to hand me my keys and review the ride height adjustments and alignment specs.

First impressions on the new alignment is very positive although the twisties I drove back home were too congested for truly spirited driving.

Now that's she home in the driveway I pulled out some micro fibers and the quick detail spray and gave her a wipe down as I'll be taking her instead of my E46 to the local cars and coffee tomorrow morning.

6/26/20 10:23 p.m.

PhillySCCA just released their event schedule! First two events are a test and tune on 7/11 and first points event on the 12th. Both are at a location I've run before so I'm hoping I'm able to get a spot once registration opens up.

In either case it's time to start assembling my event kit. Need a camp chair, cooler, decent air pressure gauge, pump and a few other odds and ends.

Oh yeah, and figure out my classing. I've only ever run a stock class before in my RX8 so it should be interesting to try to decipher where I land with the many mods I've got on the E36.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mm3mcIHauzRgGx5DGtgOGyq3d7JTx50ncjyBs9cRMlbGzCoKfSwoUrIxDZQdiBS3