1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/22/12 11:52 p.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

For sure, I will let you know when/if 2012 dates are posted.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/24/12 2:32 p.m.

Slowly working on piecing things back together.

Also trying to figure out the spliced in wiring and "mystery" switches. I have at least one switch to control the fan, maybe two?

EvanB
6/24/12 6:07 p.m.

After going through the wiring some more I have found a few things.

• The builder really liked using crimp butt connectors, many wires are two or three different colors strung together with butt connectors.

• There is a battery cutoff switch and what looks to be a push-button start. It connects to the starter solenoid, cold-start injector, and a few other sensors and grounds the circuit when pressed.

• There are more sheet metal screws in this car then my past 20 cars combined.

It did come with a wiring harness from a 900T, I may lay that out and see if I can make it work for this car, I'll probably have to eliminate a few circuits. I will also have to make sure it isn't a "biodegradable" harness.

Next up is drawing out a wiring diagram so I know what goes where to rewire it. Good thing there are only 12 circuits on the car and I don't care about HVAC and such.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/24/12 9:44 p.m.

My old '77 Colt rally car was a mess like that when I got it. I ended up rewiring the car entirely, as there were circuits that left the dash, ran up the driver's fender and across the front of the car, on to junction into something else that ran back into the cabin.

In the end I probably saved 15-20lb in removed wire.

EvanB
6/24/12 9:57 p.m.

I looked at the 900 wiring harness and it is only a partial harness with no fuse block so that won't work.

Also, after doing a bit of research, the 74 EMS should have D-Jet electronic injection (it even says Electronic Special on the dash) but this has K-Jet. There is also a place to mount the D-Jet ECU where it should be. Maybe the engine was swapped at some point or someone fitted the later K-Jet?

I am thinking about getting a universal 12-circuit wiring harness. I kinda want to get it running before spending too much money just yet though so I may try to make this harness work for now.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/25/12 8:12 a.m.
EvanB wrote: Also, after doing a bit of research, the 74 EMS should have D-Jet electronic injection (it even says Electronic Special on the dash) but this has K-Jet. There is also a place to mount the D-Jet ECU where it should be. Maybe the engine was swapped at some point or someone fitted the later K-Jet?

That would help explain some of your wiring issues. D-Jet is totally different from K-Jet and I doubt there would be much overlap in the harness.

I'm not sure how it is on Saabs, but at least on older Volvos (I have a couple of '73 1800ES's with D-Jet), the D-Jet harness was completely separate from the chassis harness. The only "junction" is at the main and fuel pump relays.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/25/12 8:28 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:

If it's a smaller set of wires, make your own. If you can find the wire, it can be cheaper. Molex will send you engineering sample of the pins- which means that EvanB Racing Inc will get 100 free pins.

I did that on my GTV racer.

Oh, and instead of a fuse box, I found a cheap source of boat breakers- I like them better than fuses- I have a breaker panel where the glove box used to be.

EvanB
7/27/12 11:34 a.m.

Another bump for the new forum.

Sadly no work has been done lately.

EvanB
8/1/12 5:47 p.m.

Anyone interested in buying this? I haven't done much to it lately but I my motorcycle needs some maintenance so it may be time to let it go.

If nobody wants it I will keep working on it slowly (maybe) until it really has to go.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/1/12 8:10 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Anyone interested in buying this? I haven't done much to it lately but I my motorcycle needs some maintenance so it may be time to let it go. If nobody wants it I will keep working on it slowly (maybe) until it really has to go.

I bet half the board is "interested".

Anybody having cash is a different story!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
8/1/12 8:25 p.m.
logdog wrote:
EvanB wrote: Anyone interested in buying this? I haven't done much to it lately but I my motorcycle needs some maintenance so it may be time to let it go. If nobody wants it I will keep working on it slowly (maybe) until it really has to go.
I bet half the board is "interested". Anybody having cash is a different story!

I have cash but no room, I actually want it too....

EvanB
8/1/12 10:25 p.m.

Well if you will have room in the next few months it may still be available.

I am going to keep working on it when I have the motivation but with the rallycross national challenge coming up along with other events and maintenance for my other vehicles I could use the money.

EvanB
9/8/12 7:16 p.m.

I decided to do a little work on the Saab today. I got the header back on and finished hooking the wiring up in the engine bay. Replaced the fuel line from the pump to the accumulator that was cut by the PO.

I put the Miata battery in and it cranked over, coughed a few times and then lost all power. It seems like it blew a fuse but it is too dark to work outside now so it will have to wait.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jk1FTLdBnngKZg2sWwiG0Jwh8boJuJxtccXoubyh50Yjgfjxuj5PfA6gyGmOy1ua