1 2 3
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/28/18 6:28 a.m.

Nice work!!

ToySnakePMC
ToySnakePMC New Reader
10/28/18 7:08 a.m.

“The Ohio Salvage Car Diaries”   That made me chuckle!  And that’s a show I’d rather watch than 94.7% of what the satellite shoots towards my 18” dish...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/28/18 8:10 a.m.

Ohio Salvage Diaries is chuckle worthy. 

Sleepy wrote that because I sent a similar letter with a Montero I bought via Salvage and actually met up with the previous owner. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/18 8:53 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

yeah, there's the Montero... plus you got some stories off of one (both?) of your Q45's

there's the element that we're all here, on the forum, because of the stories. 

re:show
I see this as more of a book, kind of like "zen and the art of motorcycles" (although, I haven't read that); or maybe "shop class as soulcraft" (which I've started, but never finished)...

except this is an inquiry into the value of things that people once valued, but have been deemed not worth fixing.

but, I'm funny like that

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/28/18 9:01 a.m.

Ha. 

Also the 2 Subaru wagons

If things go well, there may be another next week. 

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=29707758&RowNumber=16&loadRecent=True

Most recent has been a 2006 Pontiac Vibe that I sold 4 days after Inspection. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/open-classifieds/06-pontiac-vibe-for-sale-listing-or-build-thread/145574/page1/

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/18 6:17 a.m.

just so I don't threadjack untchbl's c30 thread...

John Welsh said:

Wow. I'm honored, I think. 

{... ...}

For myself, this week I bought a '04 Malibu V6 with 117k miles. Seems to just have a scuff on the plastic of the rear bumper. $558 all in. I expect I'll have $700 into it. I'd like to ask $2,200 and would love to go no lower than $1,700.

I should note, that this might make a pretty good challenge/oloa car... since I've personally watched Fr3AkAzOiD humiliate some mustangs with his:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2005-chevrolet-malibu-v6/60988/page1/ 

ymmv

wink

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
12/27/18 6:45 a.m.

If you are on the East side of the country, look up Ezfixers.com  sure you can find stuff cheaper but they tend to have a good selection of slightly damaged cars that most of us could fix.

I bought a yellow beetle from them, turned out to be a fairly easy project.

TipsyMcStagger
TipsyMcStagger New Reader
10/31/20 10:20 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In other news, yesterday, with paper, envelope and a stamp I wrote a letter to the previous owner on the title.  The center point of the letter was asking them if they still had a key for the car.  I would be willing to buy it off them.  They live about 40 minutes away (Westlake).  When I got the car it came with only one key.  Hopefully, the lure of some cash for their key will get them to reply.  I'm happy to buy the key but what I really hope to get is "the rest of the story."  

Did the previous owner reply and help you out?

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/19/20 11:47 a.m.

Some update on this Mercury Milan.

Back in April 2019 (1.5 yrs ago) I got a call from one of my oldest and closest friend.  His '08 Accord (bought new) had been rear ended and was being totaled.  My friend is an accountant type but is not car-savy in any way.  So, being the "car guy friend" he called me and asked, "what should I buy."  He typically buys new and keeps it for 15 years.  The challenge he was facing is he had just made a major investment into his business and this was a bad time for him to spend/finance more for a new car.  This meant that he was going to have to buy used.  

He had a gray '08 Accord and here I had this gray '10 Mialn still as I was keeping it on-hand as a potential business fleet vehicle (but I really had no need for it.)  I just hadn't bothered to sell it yet.   My friend lives about an hour from me in Shaker Heights, OH.  I called up AAA and had this Milan towed/delivered to his house.  I said to drive it for a few days and if you like it, send $3k.  He did.  

Fast forward and his business investment has paid off very well and some booming w/ need to move materials.  He is also a business that events like covid and social turmoil really send him a TON of business.  He has now bought a 4dr F150, new.  

I told him to not trade in the Milan and that I would sell it off for him.  A couple of weeks ago I went out and picked the car up from him.  

Just today, I got the car listed up on Facebook.    Here is the further experiment...  I want to see if a car sold for $3k pre-covid (true it was an undermarket, insider/friend price) will now sell for $5k post Covid.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n4cr5nxAwfuX0biIALeLXFm6JilHeEMoILuVXVa87gIEpBJnxEz2ayac7lUvTbtm