1 2
nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
5/13/16 4:04 p.m.

I’ve been enjoying this forum for quite some time now – since 2008 according to my profile – but I realized that I mainly just lurk here. I’ve only made 10 posts over 8 years…that’s pitiful! So I figured I would right that wrong by sharing my latest project. Cuz I know you guys appreciate weird/unconventional stuff.

I’ve been tracking a 1995 Miata since 2006. I turbo’d the car with a Flyin’ Miata kit in 2008 and have had a blast driving the car at different tracks around the Southeast (Fun fact – this car was featured as the GRM “Internet Hot Rod of The Month” back in ~ June 2011). The car is really fast and a ton of fun to drive, but turbo track Miatas require a bit more care and feeding than their naturally aspirated counterparts. For the past two years I’ve been dreaming of getting back to the simplicity of before the car was turbocharged. A time when I could drive the car hard all day at the track without ever popping the hood. The Exocet was inspiring but cost more than I could justify for a second track car. The idea of a “ghettocet” seemed to be exactly what I was going for. For those not familiar with the term, it refers to a hacked up car/ Miata with all unnecessary weight removed. So I started down that path….

…and luckily I was put in contact with Alan @ Salvagewon. They have evolved the “ghettocet” concept into something way better – their Eliminator has a better design, improved aesthetics, stronger cage, and more interior room. After I laid everything out it didn’t cost much more to build the Eliminator than it would have to build a ghettocet, so it was an easy decision. We finished the car a few weeks ago; here are a few pics:

-QGE2gyJvoQk/VzMpHRHjRbI/AAAAAAAAPMU/yhDKGgsSGPA3JeQ12jWlU2eqvr7tljuwACCo/s800/IMG_3982.JPG" />

Doing what this car does best – hitting the track!

AMP Salvagewon Eliminator - Video 1

If this car looks familiar you may have seen it on the GRM Facebook page a few weekends ago @ The Mitty

So what's next? As much track time as possible. I'm already signed up for three events at Atlanta Motorsports Park between now and the end of the month. More video to follow :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/16 4:07 p.m.

I've never seen a ghettocet that I'd want to put on the track, but the Eliminators are a different breed. Nice!

Will
Will SuperDork
5/13/16 5:21 p.m.

Totally looks like:

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
5/13/16 6:36 p.m.

I drove a Ferrari around AMP. If given a choice, I'd take the miata. That place is made for hooning 4 cylinders, and yours looks like a blast. Well done.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
5/14/16 6:50 a.m.

Those seat covers are so damn classy. Love the whole thing.

nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
5/17/16 11:37 a.m.

Thanks guys! I'm heading back to Atlanta Motorsports Park this Sunday. Hoping the weather stays dry - otherwise things are going to get very interesting :)

Also, stepped up my shift knob game. Feels like a good fit with the brown paint/ seats.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
5/17/16 12:26 p.m.

how much did it cost to do if you dont mind me asking?

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded New Reader
5/17/16 12:38 p.m.

Were you at the Honda Grand Prix of Alabama a few weeks ago?

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/17/16 1:38 p.m.

Good job!

So having previously run a turbo Miata, which is faster? I imagine that the Turbo car's going to have a better top end by virtue of aerodynamics, but how about under 90 MPH or so?

Too bad I've got so many other projects. I've been wanting to do your treatment with a 350z or WRX/Impreza.

nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
5/17/16 2:51 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote: how much did it cost to do if you dont mind me asking?

Great question. The performance-per-dollar on this thing is fantastic.

I paid $1500 for the donor, spent $5500 on the conversion and paint, then spent $2300 on other upgrades (new coilovers, wheels/ tires, brake pads, harnesses). That's $9k, but I sold $4k worth of unnecessary stuff from the donor so net I'm right at $5,000.

I've spent another $2k on additional upgrades (Megasquirt, Torsen, rotors, brake lines, shifter boots, clutch hydraulics, new battery) most of which are not installed yet, so all in I'll be at around $7k.

Kreb wrote: So having previously run a turbo Miata, which is faster? I imagine that the Turbo car's going to have a better top end by virtue of aerodynamics, but how about under 90 MPH or so?

I fully expected this car to be quite a bit slower than my turbo car, but was hoping to be within 3 seconds of my personal best lap times. Unbelievably I was only a little over one second slower at Atlanta Motorsports Park (1:33.8 in the turbo car vs 1:35.1 in the Eliminator). And that was after just three sessions @ Track Night in America; my lap record in the turbo car was five years in the making. With a little more seat time and dialing in the car I think I can be FASTER in the Eliminator! .

The math on this car is great: 30% of the cost, twice the fun, same lap times.

You are right about the aero though - it definitely has an impact. It will be a bigger impact on faster tracks like Road Atlanta. I might do some simple aero work to try and help mitigate that.

NoPermitNeeded wrote: Were you at the Honda Grand Prix of Alabama a few weeks ago?

Yup! Hit three racetracks in five days. AMP on Wednesday for Track Night, Road Atlanta on Saturday for the Mitty, then Barber for the Indy race. Did you see it there? I was parked in the car corral:

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded New Reader
5/17/16 3:29 p.m.

In reply to nickt93:

Yeah! I definitely saw it. One of the coolest things there by far. Me and my friends kept coming back to look at it; it was the first eliminator I'd seen in person.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
5/17/16 3:48 p.m.

I like it a lot but I'm puzzled at what cost $5500 for the "conversion".....isn't it just the cage and cut away everything else??.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
5/17/16 3:50 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: I like it a lot but I'm puzzled at what cost $5500 for the "conversion".....isn't it just the cage and cut away everything else??.

LOTS of labor in having a shop cut away most of the car, then weld in a cage...

nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
5/17/16 3:57 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: I like it a lot but I'm puzzled at what cost $5500 for the "conversion".....isn't it just the cage and cut away everything else??.

Here is everything that is included in the conversion:

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/16 4:04 p.m.

I got to take a turbocharged Eliminator for a lil spin at the last $2k challenge. It was awesome! I came back with a little bit of the adrenaline shakes!

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
5/17/16 4:05 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote:
LOTS of labor in having a shop cut away most of the car, then weld in a cage...

Sure if you pay for that work....this is the grm forum though so I generally assume 90+% of the work done in the projects section was done by the owner in a gravel driveway.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/16 6:25 p.m.

I haven't paid much attention to these kinds of things until very recently. Has anyone done an Exocet vs. Eliminator vs. Gettocet comparo?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/16 7:59 p.m.

The Eliminator is a "ghettocet" done right, so it's a bit redundant to try to compare it to a sketchy one.

An Exocet is a bit lighter than an Eliminator - figure 1450 lbs wet naturally aspirated. Maybe 1509 with the race cage. But that's one good looking cage and the Miata geometry obviously is 100% retained on the Eliminator. Even the gas tank angle.

nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
5/23/16 12:11 p.m.

Had a great time at AMP yesterday driving and instructing with Tracks Unlimited. I improved my best time by 8/10ths, so my new best in this car is a 1:34.2! That's only 0.4 seconds off of my best time in the mint green turbo car. However last time I timed myself at AMP in that car my best was a 1:34.6, so at this point it is fair to say the Eliminator is faster than the green car in its current state. I'm happy with that :)

Here is a video one one of my fast laps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kIKIclFlJ8

Here's a longer full session video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVqI2NqnleI

And another long sessions with less traffic and more back-to-back fast laps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTAquodApgc

This was a Porsche event put on by several dealers (I think they were all from Alabama?), so nearly all of the non-instructor cars were Porsches. I think there were give Cayman GT4s! That was surprising - I thought those cars were pretty rare. One was a really beautiful (and fast!) GT4 Clubsport.

My whip:

Some lap times from my last session:

I'm already looking forward to the next track day...four days from now!

jsquared
jsquared HalfDork
5/23/16 1:54 p.m.

Now that someone has made the Angry Birds connection, that's all I can see. The Angriest Bird

I've driven AMP but I'm still a basic HPDE'er so I have no idea for comparing lap times, but that lap looked quick. What are the speeds at the top of 3rd and 4th? I am assuming that is a mostly stock engine, 5-speed or 6? Just wondering so I can do a mental comparison of where you were changing 3rd to 4th. Looks like a freaking blast

nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
5/23/16 2:36 p.m.
jsquared wrote: What are the speeds at the top of 3rd and 4th? I am assuming that is a mostly stock engine, 5-speed or 6? Just wondering so I can do a mental comparison of where you were changing 3rd to 4th.

Thanks man! I have the 5 speed, mostly stock drivetrain, and was shifting 3 > 4 at around 80mph.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
5/23/16 9:05 p.m.

Got to ask is this thing considered open wheel when you track it. Because I would not want to be in that thing if a wheel hit.

Other then that, more power its not like its not going to run cool.

CarLava
CarLava New Reader
5/24/16 12:30 a.m.

Awesome video you got there

nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
6/30/16 12:13 p.m.

Went to the Atlanta Track Night in America last night and had a blast. Here's some video from the third session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9t7JgT4QdA

They also had an autocross course set up on-site and I managed to be the second fastest driver. Cool!

nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
10/28/16 11:22 a.m.

It's been a few months - time for an update! I've been busy continuing to improve the car and then putting it to good use on the track. I've done a ton of events at Atlanta Motorsports Park and spent last Friday at Road Atlanta.

As for improvements to the car, I upgraded the suspension from Tein Flex Zs to XIDAs, added 15x10 6ULs with 245 Maxxis RC1s (OMG GRIP!), went megasquirt, and had an APR GTC200 mounted on the rear for some additional downforce.

Personal bests in this car so far are a 1:33 at AMP and a 1:46 at Road Atlanta (with a passenger).

My Road Atlanta fast lap: Road Atlanta

From AMP in Sept: Road Atlanta

Got a chance to show the car to Magnus Walker. That was cool. He liked it.

Road Atlanta

Atlanta Motorsports Park

A few "artistic" photos taken by a friend. Highlights some of the attention to detail on the car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vxntsFoaamyLXQK2yY1IX04bNalISOH101zQjibw92I2YhbzatEZDjgglMf2qkmr