Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 6:35 p.m.

Better?

Yeah, I think so too.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 6:52 p.m.

Pretty much perfect. Now about that bumper...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
12/2/16 7:08 p.m.

That looks great

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/16 8:46 p.m.

Definitely!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/2/16 11:04 p.m.

Yeah, that's pretty tasty.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/2/16 11:18 p.m.

Muuuuuuuuch better.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 11:35 p.m.

I dig.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/16 11:36 p.m.
Wall-e wrote: Pretty much perfect. Now about that bumper...

Rough sand and matte black rustoleum. Ride out in 15 minutes start to finish.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/3/16 6:57 a.m.

Did this come with some sort of hubcap for the front wheels? Part of me wants to be able to do a visual inspection of the lugs, and part of me wants to see something pretty covering them up.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/3/16 7:25 a.m.

I'm still struggling with the red defining the top of the grille opening. I Think the shape of the top of the stripe across the nose is perfect, but 'd rather see dark green between the grille opening and the red stripe. I will try to shop something later, as my 1000 words feel inadequate right now.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/3/16 7:42 a.m.

Nice!

Toyman01
12/3/16 7:58 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

You know, I almost painted everything behind the grill itself, dark green. That would include the white strip just below the red on the hood. I think it would probably look better. The only reason I haven't is I would have to pull the grill to do it. That's a lot of rusty hardware and bondo to disturb. It may happen in the future, but I'm not going to open that particular Pandora's box at the moment. I'll make that a future, weekend project, after I get it up and running.

Toyman01
12/3/16 8:06 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

No hubcaps were provided. I have been considering some stainless wheel covers, but I'm not sure the polish would fit in with the bus paint. I also haven't been able to find them in 6 lug for a 22.5 wheel, and what I have found, 8 and 10 lug, are surprisingly expensive.

So, what's probably going to happen is paint. They are going to end up either the dark or light base color, probably the lighter color, with a red lip. Or something like that. Maybe even the entire wheel will be red, though I think that would be too much.

Then the lug nuts and studs will get a cap. possibly something over the top, like this.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/16 9:46 a.m.

I would just paint the wheels you have. My dad would have me paint his every spring on his soda truck and even brushing on some fresh rustoleum goes a long way to looking clean.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/3/16 8:56 p.m.

Absolutely paint the wheels white to match the roof and grill. If you decide to pull the grill for paint, try the candle trick on those rusty bolts.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/3/16 9:11 p.m.

I second the white for the wheels.

I really like the wheels, because even though they are newer wheels, they look like the old school heavy duty truck wheels before Dayton style wheels took over in the 60's and 70's.

Toyman01
1/15/17 10:49 a.m.

OK boys and girls. Sanford has been much neglected of late. Too many projects interfering with my projects.

Today he's getting a carb cleaning. It has run poorly since I bought it. Not wanting to take the gas, and idling poorly if at all. It has also gotten hard to start. Time to fix that.

That's pretty gross.

A trip through the ultrasonic cleaner...

That's better.

FWIW, the cheap HF ultrasonic cleaner does an outstanding job on carburetors. Fill it with the Gunk carb cleaner that comes in the gallon paint can. Turn on the heat, and run 4-5 4 minute cycles. It does wonders.

java230
java230 Dork
1/15/17 12:01 p.m.

That is impressive! I have been eyeballing those for awhile...

Toyman01
1/15/17 6:30 p.m.

Cleaned and installed. It sure does run better.

I couldn't mount a rusted nasty breather on a pretty clean carburetor, so this happened...

I'm pretty sure there was a rat's nest on the top of this at some point.

The paint should be good and dry by tomorrow, so I'll install it then.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
1/15/17 6:51 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

And all that was needed too to regain your focus was ??? https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/why-do-i-need-to-be-talked-out-of-this-old-rv-content/125552/page1/

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/15/17 6:54 p.m.

Crap. Now I need and ultrasonic cleaner.

Toyman01
1/15/17 7:03 p.m.
lrrs wrote: In reply to Toyman01: And all that was needed too to regain your focus was ??? https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/why-do-i-need-to-be-talked-out-of-this-old-rv-content/125552/page1/

You know, that stuff does help. I really like quirky old RVs.

I had planned to continue the installation of the solar heater for the shop, but with the high today being 80, I figured I could make better use of my time.

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
1/15/17 7:31 p.m.

Looking great. Thanks for the HF review, might have to add that to my tool list!

Toyman01
1/15/17 7:47 p.m.

The cleaner was originally bought to clean clock movements, so I wouldn't have to disassemble them for cleaning.

Then I read that a local small engine shop was offering ultrasonic cleaning for carburetors.

If you buy one, get the biggest you can afford. I'd love a large enough tank to submerge a full size carburetor.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/15/17 8:14 p.m.

Wow I'm actually surprised that has a 2-bbl carb. I know you're thinking of going to a different engine at some point, but I would think a different intake and a 4-bbl would wake that thing up.

1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 38

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o1YXiHlbcSGK2rwnQ69SwQdKiNGnUjG8QBqb1N5zt8vxqsiSkpTOz0JTC8LkJZGq