1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 ... 113
loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/1/20 10:02 p.m.

The search for the next car has been exciting and frustrating. I am working on another Datsun 510 and it's pretty much perfect but I fear it is priced out of my reach. There are also two first generation Camaros for sale locally that are almost within my price range. One guy has offered a second gen Camaro in trade on my Suburban but looking at how much a full suspension kit from Hotchkis or Ron Sutton costs, that is a scary prospect, too. I looked at all the SCCA Solo Nationals results for the last couple of years and couldn't find a single model of car that I both want and can afford in a class I want to compete in. I've been lucky enough to drive a lot of different cars and my dream is a Porsche GT3RS but that won't happen unless I win the lottery. If I take out a loan, I could probably swing a 996 or 997 GT3 but that would get a chilly response from my better half. Also, it's kind of a shame that the CAM classes and XS are not eligible for Championship jackets yet. Not sure what I'm going to do but I'm trying to be wiser. Any of you want a well sorted MGB race car?

Box4VIR
Box4VIR GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/1/20 10:12 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Things I never thought I'd hear: Datsun510 is priced out of reach but you could swing a 997 GT3. it's crazy where classic car pricing has gone.

I'd take a look at Caymans.  There's a reason why track events are full of Caymans and not 911s.  This is coming from a guy who has both.  

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/2/20 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

I can afford a Datsun if it's just a basic stock 510 but to find one with the engine, suspension, etc that I want will cost $25,000+. The cheapest running,driving GT3 I've found was $48,000. As a Porsche club member and former Boxster owner, I like the idea of a Cayman a lot but I'm afraid they are stuck in classes where they are not competitive. The GT4 would probably be competitive with the GT3 if it had a PDK but they come in 6 speed only and have poor gearing for autocross. I dunno, I've driven some PDK equipped Cayman S's and was hugely impressed, they should be competitive but I don't see them in the trophies at Nationals but maybe nobody has tried to develop one properly.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
9/2/20 12:35 p.m.

There was a Cayman S on the podium in AS last year. GT4 and 997.2 GT3 at this point aren't quite winners in SS I don't think, but are regularly well into the trophies. 997 GT3 has the advantage of being able to run 18" wheels for more tire compound and size options. There's some indication that the 718 GTS is decent in SS as well. I'm pretty sure a well prepped and well driven 996 GT3 in either SS or SSR is at least capable of a trophy at most national events.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/2/20 1:47 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Good to know, I hadn't spotted the Cayman in AS and am going to look at the rules where the different generations of Caymans are classed. Hey, what do you guys think of me prepping the Pink Panther for Time Attack as well? It might lose some autocross performance because of bigger brakes. I might try just adding some cooling to the brakes to see if that's enough for a couple of hard laps.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/4/20 10:38 a.m.

Well, the car is on EBay so if any of you would like to own the Pink Panther, now is your chance. EBay auction

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/7/20 10:30 p.m.

I cut the intake manifold apart because I'm flipping the throttle body from the bottom to the top. It eliminates a 180 degree bend and around 24" of tubing 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
9/9/20 6:07 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I cut the intake manifold apart because I'm flipping the throttle body from the bottom to the top. It eliminates a 180 degree bend and around 24" of tubing 

And because you can and it's still yours and everyonejustchill????

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/9/20 11:00 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

The car may be for sale but that's not going to stop me from improving it. The intake system is compromised because the throttle body is under the intake manifold. Air has to go through intercooler then snake it's way down to the frame and back up into the manifold, but if I flip it around, it's only one 90 degree turn into the manifold, I will be working on the car over the winter, after I get my Suburban a little more done so I can sell that, too

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/10/20 8:48 p.m.

Finished the new intake today but need to get the mating surface machined flat again before I mount it. Welding cast aluminum is a PITA! 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/11/20 10:08 p.m.

I installed the ATI Super Damper today and raised my redline 250 rpm. I go to 8000 rpm once I install the new head this winter

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/20/20 9:37 p.m.

Had a double header event this weekend and am editing the video now. Here's a picture somebody took

ojannen
ojannen Reader
9/21/20 3:06 p.m.

I would love to see a codriver interview if it is possible.

TXratti
TXratti Reader
9/21/20 4:23 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

Am I right that XS is kind of a catch-all similar to CAM, but open to imports?  Thats what I have been reading it as. 

*Almost* except the min weights are way off, and the class was not meant to go to nationals. Hopefully it will be better subscribed but with the min weight so low, it's just asking for a force-induction or k-swapped Miata to clean up.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/21/20 7:13 p.m.
ojannen said:

I would love to see a codriver interview if it is possible.

Aww man, I asked him for an on-video interview about it and he said he wanted to formulate his thoughts on it first, but I got impatient and just put the video together and posted it. There are two more events and he will be co-driving again so I'll definitely get an interview next time. New video is out: Episode 261 I got a new co-driver

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/27/20 9:58 a.m.

New Covid restrictions were just announced so the local club canceled the final two events of the season. Looks like the next time the car will be out is when I start work on it for next season

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/11/20 7:46 p.m.

I've been ordering parts for the winter upgrades and this air cleaner just arrived

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/21/20 9:21 p.m.

Sent out the ported exhaust manifold for ceramic coating and it looks great. Can't wait to drag the car into the shop and start putting all the go-faster bits on it

RoverPower
RoverPower New Reader
11/24/20 11:07 a.m.

Just curious, you've eliminated the bend, but did you think of how turbulent the air is going to be in the "modded" manifold?  Asking for a friend.

RoverPower
RoverPower New Reader
11/24/20 11:09 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

At least the welds look ok

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/24/20 7:45 p.m.
RoverPower said:

Just curious, you've eliminated the bend, but did you think of how turbulent the air is going to be in the "modded" manifold?  Asking for a friend.

I have no reason to believe that the air will be any more turbulent than before. There was no particular features inside the original manifold that looked like they were there to guide or influence the air.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
12/25/20 12:17 p.m.

A bit of Pink Panther history: When I first built the car, my brakes were too big to run 13" wheels so I ran 15" steel wheels. All the fast guys at that time were running Goodyear or Hoosier 13" Formula Atlantic tires and I was forced to run Avon tires. The Avons were more expensive than Hoosiers or Goodyears but people told me they would do more runs than the others before falling off. When I did the major updates to the car, I installed smaller brakes and bought Keizer 13" wheels and was finally able to run the Formula Atlantic tires. Around that time, Goodyear got out of the Formula Atlantic tire game and the Goodyear guys switched to Avons or Hoosiers.  We have consistently been the quickest Hoosier-shod car at Nationals but after doing back to back testing between the Hoosiers and Avons in a DM car, we realized the Avons are probably better suited to our car. The other day, a stack of Avon tires were delivered to my door. A friend and fan of the car bought and had them shipped to me and they are the nicest gift anybody has ever got me (except MAYBE that time Briget took me to Disneyworld). The tires are the softer A15 compound and are too soft for Nationals but are perfect for our local events, which tend to be cool and on low grip asphalt. I would love to post a better pic of the car running Avons but my 1 TB external hard drive (with all my Panther video and pics) has crashed and nobody has been able to retrieve anything off it ;( . Here is a pic of the car after the major overhaul and before I switched to Hoosiers. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/25/20 12:34 p.m.

Sorry to hear about the drive.  Hope the sale of the car goes the way you're wanting.  This project has always impressed.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
12/27/20 6:06 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Sorry to hear about the drive.  Hope the sale of the car goes the way you're wanting.  This project has always impressed.

Covid-19 has changed everything and I'm not actively trying to sell the race car anymore. If somebody makes me a decent offer, I would sell but unless that happens, I'm going to continue developing and racing it. I have some real good improvements planned for this winter, I just have to get the Suburban out of the workspace.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/1/21 12:42 p.m.

1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 ... 113

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kY5R3RAe4iFky8tL30i9ZtZYlEMlYUIxbs8BR4FJDhS0S9LYjwRPd1LtHJBvrBdQ