1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 113
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/13/13 7:42 p.m.

Be careful of the driveshaft max angles. Even Rzeppa (ball) type CV's have their limits. Ask anybody with a big lift on a late model Wrangler.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
3/14/13 6:52 a.m.

Why so much rollbar bracing? That seems like it's WAY over built for an autocross car.

Take a look at Jeff's bar:

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
3/14/13 8:35 a.m.
tpwalsh wrote: Why so much rollbar bracing? That seems like it's WAY over built for an autocross car. Take a look at Jeff's bar:

That picture doesn't tell the whole story of the stiffness of the Bugeye. We don't know what's going on beneath the skin or what it's stiffness is. Common race car practice is to have a chassis stiffness at least 10 times the spring stiffness and my chassis was designed in CAD to be 6500 lbs/degree in its weakest direction. Without all those braces, the back end of the car had too much flex in it.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
3/14/13 8:47 a.m.

That picture doesn't tell the whole story of the stiffness of the Bugeye. We don't know what's going on beneath the skin or what it's stiffness is. Common race car practice is to have a chassis stiffness at least 10 times the spring stiffness and my chassis was designed in CAD to be 6500 lbs/degree in its weakest direction. Without all those braces, the back end of the car had too much flex in it.

That's the answer I was hoping for. I was a little worried about all that weight up high and hoped there was some thought involved in all that metal in a single plane.

I haven't posted much in here, but I love watching the evolution of the car(s).

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
3/14/13 1:24 p.m.

I just went into the CAD program and removed just the two bars from the top of the hoop to the side rails that are around elbow height and the stiffness dropped 1000 lbs/degree.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
3/14/13 4:04 p.m.

That makes sense given how close it is to the suspension pickup points.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
3/23/13 6:33 a.m.

Got some more tubes welded in:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/25/13 8:21 a.m.

Looks like you've got more room between the gearbox and the diff than it seemed before.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
3/25/13 12:37 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Looks like you've got more room between the gearbox and the diff than it seemed before.

Yes and No, I put longer suspension arms in then took this pic but the engine has to come back, too.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
3/28/13 1:29 p.m.

Starting to fit panels to make sure none of the cage interferes, and yes, that is normal ride height:

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/28/13 1:43 p.m.

What size are the tires. Looks good BTW

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
3/28/13 2:09 p.m.

12.7x23.5-15 Avons

rjones33
rjones33 New Reader
3/28/13 2:56 p.m.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
3/30/13 9:09 p.m.

Look what arrived today! Currie Aluminum diff with 4.11 gears, True-Trac LSD and CV flange. Can't wait to try it out.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
4/2/13 9:13 a.m.

Wow, that's nice.
Is it a 9" or 8.8"?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
4/2/13 10:44 a.m.
erohslc wrote: Wow, that's nice. Is it a 9" or 8.8"?

It's not an 8.8, as that is rear loaded. Probably a 9", but could be some kind of 'Yota if he's saving weight there.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/2/13 10:45 a.m.
erohslc wrote: Wow, that's nice. Is it a 9" or 8.8"?

I little education on Ford diffs: This is how you access gears on an 8.8:

And on a 9":

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/2/13 3:46 p.m.

This is what a custom piece to attach a CV joint to a T5 transmission looks like:

unevolved
unevolved Dork
4/2/13 4:11 p.m.

I like where this is going.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/2/13 4:24 p.m.

This is going to be really good....!

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
4/2/13 4:30 p.m.

getting those cool parts would feel like Christmas morning to a 5 y/o

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/4/13 10:23 a.m.

Couldn't sleep so I was up at 5:00 am and came to work on the car. The 4 bars going from the main roll hoop down were the most difficult ones to fit so far. There are a lot of complex angles going on and all I could do was trim and fit, trim and fit until one bar looked good then try to recreate it in mirror image for the bar on the other side.

You can see the new diff in this one:

unevolved
unevolved Dork
4/4/13 5:56 p.m.

I don't know if anyone's made this joke yet, but that's the best embodiment of "front-mid engine" I've ever seen!

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
4/4/13 7:30 p.m.
unevolved wrote: I don't know if anyone's made this joke yet, but that's the best embodiment of "front-mid engine" I've ever seen!

Thanks. I am building it in such a way that I can fit a different engine down the road, maybe some kind of turbo 4 cylinder.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
4/4/13 7:36 p.m.
loosecannon wrote:
unevolved wrote: I don't know if anyone's made this joke yet, but that's the best embodiment of "front-mid engine" I've ever seen!
Thanks. I am building it in such a way that I can fit a different engine down the road, maybe some kind of turbo 4 cylinder.

Have you tried a V12?

hehehe

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 113

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NWaHPxsUomjXF5Z3iMZLO5f6gc9TuINLVwnaEoxKalCCab5whaQIg6RMdjFXxX6o