1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 113
93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/9/11 9:40 a.m.

I absolutely love this build.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
4/9/11 10:26 a.m.

I want to see this one in the flesh. Awesome build. I'm jealous. I'm still fighting with mine to get 8 cylinders to work. Also wish I'd tubed my front end. That would have saved so many headaches.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/9/11 11:58 a.m.

More pics:

byron12
byron12 Reader
4/9/11 12:33 p.m.

This E36 M3 is so awesome great work. I love it.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
4/9/11 12:41 p.m.
loosecannon wrote: All this extra hole cutting equals only 32 lbs-frustrating!

32 lbs. is worth saving, but that sure looks like a LOT of work!

Great car.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/9/11 12:50 p.m.

I did a walkaround video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQnMWlQ-f9A

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/10/11 11:17 p.m.

I ran out of aluminum and steel I needed today but still got a bunch of stuff done, like the drivers side wheelwell out of aluminum:

And heat reflective material on the footwells:

Covered the holes in the frame with thin aluminum:

Made headlight covers out of aluminum:

And covered the inside frame lightening holes with aluminum, I dig how this looks:

Bolted the rear shocks and fuel cell in:

Cleaned and painted the crossmember:

GregW
GregW New Reader
4/11/11 6:23 a.m.

Wow - Just hang a V-12 in free space and weld up an MGB around it. I would be satisfied if it met 1-4. 5 is iceing on the cake.

I was planning on stuffing a Toyoty V- something in the Redtoy until I got too sick to do the work.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/11/11 12:33 p.m.
GregW wrote: Wow - Just hang a V-12 in free space and weld up an MGB around it. I would be satisfied if it met 1-4. 5 is iceing on the cake. I was planning on stuffing a Toyoty V- something in the Redtoy until I got too sick to do the work.

Yeh, that was more or less the plan. I just cut away everything that got in the way of the V12 then built around it. I could fit anything into anything (almost).

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/11 12:52 p.m.

This is so cool. I too would like to see this in the flesh.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/12/11 11:16 p.m.

Made panels to cover the holes in the interior, without them smoke from the rear tires would make it's way into the car, and they look better:

Finished the passenger side wheelwell

The great lump is back in the car, except now it has solid motor mounts and is clean,courtesy of Briget who spent a long time with degreaser and toothbrushes getting 27 years of grime off:

And apparently somebody named Dave or Dane assembled my engine all those years ago:

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
4/13/11 12:25 a.m.

Amazing build.

geomiata
geomiata Reader
4/13/11 1:56 a.m.

looking good, keep the posts coming.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/13/11 4:34 p.m.

Riveted in the aluminum floor on today:

And filled in the gaps behind the wheelwells with aluminum:

And put vinyl edging around the wheelwells:

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
4/13/11 8:20 p.m.

Insane! Holy cow, I love this car. EMod is so wild, I wish we had more of them around here.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/13/11 9:57 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Insane! Holy cow, I love this car. EMod is so wild, I wish we had more of them around here.

Yeh, I have been running CS for the last while so EM is going to be an eye opener. I'm clueless abour radial slicks, shock adjustment, etc but will have fun figuring it out.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/14/11 7:49 a.m.

As an early doubter, I owe you an apology. Your ability to knock out big work with astonishing speed is impressive. If you make it by the Atlanta compound out in Lincoln, the first beer is on me!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/14/11 8:09 a.m.

I have question why did you decide to use aluminum for the interior panels instead of composite?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/14/11 8:11 a.m.
loosecannon wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: Insane! Holy cow, I love this car. EMod is so wild, I wish we had more of them around here.
Yeh, I have been running CS for the last while so EM is going to be an eye opener. I'm clueless abour radial slicks, shock adjustment, etc but will have fun figuring it out.

Optimum G has some good articles on shocks, springs, and swaybars.

http://www.optimumg.com/OptimumGWebSite/Others/TechTips.html

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/14/11 3:48 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: As an early doubter, I owe you an apology. Your ability to knock out big work with astonishing speed is impressive. If you make it by the Atlanta compound out in Lincoln, the first beer is on me!

I never held it against you ;) I am as suprised as you that I have been able to build it this quickly and have it actually work-now I have to hope it's not DFL in competition.

93EXCivic wrote: I have question why did you decide to use aluminum for the interior panels instead of composite?

The firewall has to be a non-flammable material and the rear panels weigh so little( about 8 lbs combined) that the effort of composite didn't seem worth it. Now, if I had the money for composite fenders and hood then I would do something with those.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
4/14/11 3:59 p.m.

unbelievable! this is a wicked cool project. I see you heat shielded both footwells - are you setting this up as a 2 seater then?

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/14/11 6:14 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: unbelievable! this is a wicked cool project. I see you heat shielded both footwells - are you setting this up as a 2 seater then?

It will be a two seater for local events but the passenger seat will come out for big events. The car will be twice as fun if I can scare the e36 M3 out of passengers. I got some high tech heat reflective tiles from www.fasttoys.net and installed them in the area where my side pipes run so hopefully I don't bubble the paint on the door sills.

Put the rad in with the lightened top mount:

I put aluminum mesh where the taillights used to be so now air from the rear wheelwells will be evacuated straight out the back-and they look really cool!

imirk
imirk Reader
4/14/11 6:30 p.m.

yep, you've got yourself one sexy bitch

fritzsch
fritzsch New Reader
4/14/11 6:42 p.m.

I wish this was street legal, that would be the bees knees, his arms and his legs! but seriously cool project

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/11 7:40 p.m.

Loosey, thank you for posting up the pics of the tail lamp/screen modification. It has given me an awesome idea for a rear light treatment.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 113

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3FoE2jDZxGbrB6E920wnNpsXKMwfR29yoMruAIoRheqXqWeZpn7syClD315PtjD1