byron12
byron12 Reader
4/14/11 8:57 p.m.

Passenger seat hell yes.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
4/14/11 9:44 p.m.
byron12 wrote: Passenger seat hell yes.

Yup. I can see why to take it out at nationals..but if I discover Mr. LCannon is running a local (to me) event, I'm going to beg like a dog for a ride.

byron12
byron12 Reader
4/15/11 3:09 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
byron12 wrote: Passenger seat hell yes.
Yup. I can see why to take it out at nationals..but if I discover Mr. LCannon is running a local (to me) event, I'm going to beg like a dog for a ride.

Ditto

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/15/11 6:53 p.m.

The transmission tunnel and shifter are installed. The 11 holes I drilled in it brings the total to 429 lightening holes:

Rear spoiler is on and I had to do a bunch of trimming to keep it from scratching the paint.

The fuel line is plumbed and the rear deck panels riveted on:

I installed both seats and they are comfy as long as you are shorter than 5' 10" and smaller than 170 lbs:

friedgreencorrado
4/15/11 8:04 p.m.

Hey, LC..did you see that you got a mention in this month's Sportscar? It's a little sidebar in the article on what Jeff Kiesel's done since he bought Scott McQueen's rotary Bugeye.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/15/11 8:09 p.m.

How the hell have you put this thing together so fast?

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/15/11 8:24 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Hey, LC..did you see that you got a mention in this month's Sportscar? It's a little sidebar in the article on what Jeff Kiesel's done since he bought Scott McQueen's rotary Bugeye.

I have not received my copy yet but look forward to seeing it. I think the car may get some attention at Nationals, I hope nothing goes wrong between now and then to prevent it's appearance.

93EXCivic wrote: How the hell have you put this thing together so fast?

I get that alot and it's a mystery to me, too. I expected the project to take 2 years and just worked on it 2-3 hours in the mornings before work but almost never on the weekend. Before long it was evident that getting it done in time for this season was a good possibility and the last month has been a hard core thrash to get the bodywork/paint and reassembly done. I think I'm getting close to finished now. I have to put the new intake manifolds on (they are out for welding), sort out new carb linkage, bleed the brakes, get an alignment and seal up the little gaps between the outside and inside of the car.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
4/15/11 8:32 p.m.

I give credit to the obvious way youre building this car for a single purpose. I think a lot of projects we start get stalled or hung up because we also have the girlfriend clause to worry about (i.e. will the girlfriend want to be seen riding in it anywhere lol). This is a purpose built race car that started with an engine and had a car built around it. Youre obviosuly not afraid to cut something up in order to make it fit, and that no hold barred mentality probably cuts through a lot of clutter and gets you from goal to goal in a hurry. Now lets hope the finished car gets you to the finish line in a hurry! Love this thread!!!

friedgreencorrado
4/15/11 8:42 p.m.
loosecannon wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: Hey, LC..did you see that you got a mention in this month's Sportscar? It's a little sidebar in the article on what Jeff Kiesel's done since he bought Scott McQueen's rotary Bugeye.
I have not received my copy yet but look forward to seeing it. I think the car may get some attention at Nationals, I hope nothing goes wrong between now and then to prevent it's appearance.

I'd think a monster like that would take a lil' time to sort..but I'm wishing you the best! I probably won't see it at Nats, I'm an ex-road racer that just dallies around in Solo and still hasn't figured it out (the turns move every weekend!! ). Still, I know a real race car when I see one. Make sure one of your buddies makes a vid when you fire it up for the first time, that's going to rock.

loosecannon wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: How the hell have you put this thing together so fast?
I get that alot and it's a mystery to me, too. I expected the project to take 2 years and just worked on it 2-3 hours in the mornings before work but almost never on the weekend. Before long it was evident that getting it done in time for this season was a good possibility and the last month has been a hard core thrash to get the bodywork/paint and reassembly done. I think I'm getting close to finished now. I have to put the new intake manifolds on (they are out for welding), sort out new carb linkage, bleed the brakes, get an alignment and seal up the little gaps between the outside and inside of the car.

The thrash seems to be paying off in this case..again-good luck, dude. Britcars were what got me started down the path of the gearhead in the first place, and even this ex-Triumph guy wishes you all the success in the world.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/16/11 4:49 p.m.

I made the splitter strut mounts out of aluminum channel but didn't have a chance to rivet them on yet:

Wheels, tires, spoiler and splitter are on:

friedgreencorrado
4/16/11 9:07 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon:

Compared to you, I'm just a "parts changer". Will the rear spoiler be white as well?

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/17/11 12:17 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: In reply to loosecannon: Compared to you, I'm just a "parts changer". Will the rear spoiler be white as well?

I considered painting it and the diffuser but there is so much raw aluminum everywhere that it sorta fits in. I am open to painting it but for now, unpainted it is. I am making major changes to the intake manifolds to gain some performance. The first picture is the stock configuration for the carbs. The air goes through the carb and the liquid heated intake, makes a 90 degree up, then another 90 agree left and into the engine:

The modification involves eliminating the liquid heated part, moving the carbs up and also getting rid of the two 90 degree bends, like in this pic:

These beautiful billet aluminum blocks were made by JRS Manufacturing and involved 18 hours of computer modeling and more hours on a CNC milling machine:

They will be welded to the intake manifolds:

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
4/17/11 5:23 a.m.

Wow. You continue to amaze. Keep up the good work.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
4/17/11 9:08 a.m.

Nice!

Getting rid of the 'sink traps' and the water heated intake along with getting the carbs away from the exhaust heat should help the hot engine horsepower loss you had. Are you planning to add heat shields under the carbs and a cold air intake too?

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/17/11 1:38 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Nice! Getting rid of the 'sink traps' and the water heated intake along with getting the carbs away from the exhaust heat should help the hot engine horsepower loss you had. Are you planning to add heat shields under the carbs and a cold air intake too?

yes, the long term plan is to put a bellmouth in each headlight opening and run a tube to the carbs on each side but the added cost is not possible right now. I want to run the car this season and see where I am at before spending any more. I may have bigger issues than power.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
4/17/11 1:49 p.m.

I know how that goes. I'm struggling with chassis issues on the Jensenator, I have a push that just won't go away. No more $ on parts until I figure that out.

erohslc
erohslc Reader
4/17/11 5:57 p.m.

I'm guessing EFI is somewhere in the future, but those 90 turns from horizontal to vertical are the perfect place for injectors.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/17/11 6:27 p.m.
erohslc wrote: I'm guessing EFI is somewhere in the future, but those 90 turns from horizontal to vertical are the perfect place for injectors.

Jag put EFI on later V12s and the manifolds bolt right on and are a good design. There is plenty of info out there on the swap so if I go EFI, that will be the route.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/18/11 7:18 p.m.

I changed the vertical bars of the grille to the same aluminum mesh of the taillights. Here is the grille in stock form, also notice the new splitter struts:

The mesh grille:

Also put mesh in the cowl vent:

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 2:00 p.m.

this is easily the best WORST idea ever. I applaud your amazing efforts

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
4/19/11 2:08 p.m.

The mesh looks good!

Perhaps I missed it, but are there plans for fender flares? Ask anyone here, they add 7% lateral grip and an easy 8-10 HP per rivet!

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 2:13 p.m.

yeah, this thing would look pretty boss with some Sebring flares

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/19/11 3:25 p.m.
chapel wrote: yeah, this thing would look pretty boss with some Sebring flares

If I do flares on it, I'm going to put this Spridgetech body kit on:

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 3:28 p.m.