Thinkkker SuperDork
4/21/11 7:41 a.m.
loosecannon wrote: And installed straps to hold the rear hatch down:

Because that Spoiler will not produce any downforce to keep the hatch down

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/21/11 10:02 a.m.
loosecannon wrote:

Can you post some more pictures of the diffuser?

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/21/11 2:38 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
loosecannon wrote:
Can you post some more pictures of the diffuser?

Check the blog: http://ultimatemgbbuild.blogspot.com/2011/02/diffuser.html

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/21/11 6:07 p.m.

The intakes came back from JRS manufacturing www.jrstephenson.com today and after some cleaning up with a die grinder, I shot a coat of paint on them and did a trial fitting on the car. The good news is that the linkage will not have to be modified much to fit and the great news is that the hood doesn't have to be modified at all to fit.

imirk
imirk Reader
4/21/11 6:26 p.m.

mmm hot pink valve covers!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/21/11 6:49 p.m.

That is bad-ass for sure.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/21/11 7:04 p.m.
imirk wrote: mmm hot pink valve covers!

Yes, stay tuned to see the complete graphics theme.

The splitter is not allowed to extend beyond the bodywork so to make it more effective, I added endplates.

And to keep the exhaust from discoloring the paint, I added stainless steel heat shields above each outlet:

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
4/21/11 7:34 p.m.

Keeping the Strombergs, or have you got some SU's stashed away over there? I've always heard that the Strombergs give better low-end torque, but the ones on my GT6 were a bear, maintenence wise (and setup, but I think that was because they were early smog era carbs).

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
4/21/11 7:49 p.m.

The intake setup looks MUCH better. This is coming along nicely. Of course, you still have to sort the thing out... that's the hard part.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/21/11 7:53 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Keeping the Strombergs, or have you got some SU's stashed away over there? I've always heard that the Strombergs give better low-end torque, but the ones on my GT6 were a bear, maintenence wise (and setup, but I think that was because they were early smog era carbs).

Part of taking a car from a pile o' parts and raw steel to a running, driving race car is that you have to pick your battles. I decided to stick with the stock carbs for now because I know they work and are jetted correctly for this motor. Changing to different carbs or EFI involves hours and hours of fabrication and tinkering that I just don't have. The Strombergs are dead simple in operation, easy to adjust and rebuild and produced 300 ft/lbs torque without any tuning, so for now I'll use them.

friedgreencorrado
4/21/11 8:17 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon:

Mea culpa, man. I forgot you've been thrashing like a madman because of your time constraints. Again, I hope this thing is magic when you're done with it. I started this hobby in Britcars, I guess it's like cheering for my old High School basketball team or something.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/21/11 9:21 p.m.
Thinkkker wrote:
loosecannon wrote: And installed straps to hold the rear hatch down:
Because that Spoiler will not produce any downforce to keep the hatch down

True, but the local venue has some big bumps and if I go over one and the lid jumps up then slams down, it's going to do damage-lots of damage

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/26/11 6:17 p.m.

I figured out a way to have a front tow hook. If I need it, I just have to slide it under the splitter, through a slot in the air dam mount and to a bracket bolted to the crossmember where it is held in with a sheer pin. It is not attached until needed.

I also put all the Lexan windows in, using MGB seals on the front and back windows and sunroof seals on the side windows and the sunroof.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/26/11 6:31 p.m.

Is there a reason you added a sunroof? I would think it would be slightly lighter without.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/26/11 7:02 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Is there a reason you added a sunroof? I would think it would be slightly lighter without.

The car came with a giant hole in the roof where a sunroof once was. The polycarbonate sunroof is actually very light and makes the tiny interior seem less clausterphobic.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/26/11 7:04 p.m.

Well that makes sense then. Can't wait to see the finished product, which doesn't seem to be far off with this rate of progress.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/26/11 7:31 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Well that makes sense then. Can't wait to see the finished product, which doesn't seem to be far off with this rate of progress.

The end is getting near, it should be running in the next couple of days. I have to go over every inch to make sure I haven't forgotten something. The graphics, fuel line and block off plates for the intakes have to be done and next week it's on the dyno. If I haven't really screwed up the induction system, then I have to find a way to test it in real conditions before the first event on May 14th.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/27/11 3:24 p.m.

I had concerns about water flooding the air cleaners and heat from the exhaust manifolds being sucked into the engine so today I made heat/water shields. Of course, when I get my dream ram air system made, these will get yanked out. Notice also that the throttle linkage has been modified and re-installed and the coil and fuel pressure regulator have been moved to better locations.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/29/11 12:58 p.m.

You might want to sit down for this but the Lucas ignition in the car has failed. It's not looking good for getting the car running in time for the first event but I am trying to make an MSD unit work-wish me luck.

Graefin10
Graefin10 New Reader
4/29/11 1:23 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon:

I used to work as a mechanic @ Brit. car dealerships. I didn't have to sit down. GOOD LUCK!!!

I'd like to say that I totally appreciate what you've done with this car. I love MGBGTs. Don't much care for Jag. 12s. However, you've stuck to this and built something that is very cool and presentable. I'd be proud to say "I built it". I hope it's successful in competition and you get to enjoy it for a long time.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
4/30/11 2:04 p.m.

Funny how things turn around. I just got a catalog from XKS Unlimited http://store.xks.com/ and they had a Pertronix conversion kit listed for the V12 AND were open Saturdays. I called and the part was on special for $146.00 and is plug and play, it replaces all the problem Jaguar parts. I had it overnight expressed so maybe I will make my dyno appointment after all.

friedgreencorrado
4/30/11 4:05 p.m.
loosecannon wrote: Funny how things turn around. I just got a catalog from XKS Unlimited http://store.xks.com/ and they had a Pertronix conversion kit listed for the V12 AND were open Saturdays. I called and the part was on special for $146.00 and is plug and play, it replaces all the problem Jaguar parts. I had it overnight expressed so maybe I will make my dyno appointment after all.

What's the old saw? "I'd rather be lucky than good"? Sounds great.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
5/2/11 9:32 a.m.
loosecannon wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: In reply to loosecannon: Compared to you, I'm just a "parts changer". Will the rear spoiler be white as well?
I considered painting it and the diffuser but there is so much raw aluminum everywhere that it sorta fits in. I am open to painting it but for now, unpainted it is. I am making major changes to the intake manifolds to gain some performance. The first picture is the stock configuration for the carbs. The air goes through the carb and the liquid heated intake, makes a 90 degree up, then another 90 agree left and into the engine: The modification involves eliminating the liquid heated part, moving the carbs up and also getting rid of the two 90 degree bends, like in this pic: These beautiful billet aluminum blocks were made by JRS Manufacturing and involved 18 hours of computer modeling and more hours on a CNC milling machine: They will be welded to the intake manifolds:

I love your build, but how did it take 18 hours to model that adapter? It looks to me like something I could model and create a drawing for in less than an hour.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/2/11 9:34 a.m.

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but yeah...

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/2/11 11:34 a.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

yeah, +1 to that.

can't wait for a vid of this on course

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 113

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8sVkZKVZez1jjRTKQVAWpkxGueOINQgWELxdbOF1GkqUy8w0YeJbRb9v5bd0t3PA