1 ... 68 69 70 71 72
loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
9/16/17 10:28 p.m.

Lateral G Forum  I Googled some stuff and got this rabbit hole and read the first 3 pages-it's got a lot of good stuff

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
9/17/17 1:00 p.m.
loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
9/17/17 7:19 p.m.

Some very knowledgeable people say the Panhard and 3 link are perfect for an EM autocross car so I'm not going to just tear it out on some speculation that a Mumford "might" be better

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/17/17 10:27 p.m.

I doubt you'd hop in -any- car and go "Hey! This this totally has a [lateral-locator-of-your-choice], I can feel the difference!"

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
9/17/17 11:36 p.m.

Got some nice pics from Perry at www.autoxpix.com

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/loosecannon/media/MGB-GT/Sawatsky2017-12_zpstvjeckqh.jpg.html][/URL]

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
9/19/17 7:41 p.m.
OldDave
OldDave New Reader
9/19/17 7:56 p.m.

you need to replace the rods with cables. google "shifter cables", there are a lot of different types available.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
9/19/17 8:19 p.m.

I did some work on the shifter today and think I will be able to avoid the complexity and weight of cables but the 3rd/4th rod will be tricky

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
9/26/17 7:41 p.m.

New shifter and spoiler are installed (spoiler still needs some struts, but you get the idea)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/d1cSdbVDQWA

efahl
efahl New Reader
9/26/17 7:47 p.m.
759NRNG said:

http://not2fast.com/chassis/mumford.shtml  start with this.....

And if you find anything else on Mumford, send it to me and I'll update that page.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
9/26/17 8:21 p.m.
efahl said:
759NRNG said:

http://not2fast.com/chassis/mumford.shtml  start with this.....

And if you find anything else on Mumford, send it to me and I'll update that page.

efahl, all I know is that Sir Arthur Mallock  used this setup on a creation of his and his son's design, sporting a 'live' axle and smallish powerplant (2.5l) ending up in embarrassing  much more powerful participants simply because of his cornering prowress... sorry Loose C 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
9/27/17 11:00 a.m.

Loose - thanks for posting the video updates - I ordinarily don't really care for them as a replacement for text narration on progress in build threads, but yours are easy to watch. They are probably a better medium in light of the fact that your car is entirely scratch built, so it's easier to see what you're talking about than it would be to try to describe it with words alone.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
9/27/17 5:14 p.m.

Are you worried at all about deflection with the Lexan spoiler?

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
9/27/17 10:53 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Thanks. If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you see that my updates were all pictures and text and it was easier to do that way, for sure. People encouraged me to try the video format and it's had some benefits like sharing on social media and explaining some things in video saves a lot of words, but it is more work. I feel like a rank amateur compared to other YouTubers and I don't have the charisma or looks for video but I am proud of the car and like sharing with people who care.  When people stop commenting on my updates, I will stop making updates.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
10/2/17 4:12 p.m.

Looks for the videos............hmmmm maybe have Miss B in them instead and you do a voice over? I kill myself..........hey what are the winter plans? Yeah I know, don't make it any sooner.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
10/2/17 9:08 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Miss B is hot so she certainly would raise the appearance of my videos, but I doubt she would go for it. The current plans are to perform whatever changes Ron Sutton Race Engineering tells me to do on the car, which is most likely moving the top link over on the diff and getting some caster on the front end.  Also to change all intercooler piping to aluminum (some is still steel) and maybe get rid of the silicone couplers. If time permits, I may try to make the whole front end a one piece deal in order to save some weight. I really want to get some weight out of the car but most of the low hanging fruit has been picked, everything left is expensive-like $100/lb expensive. I did a couple of things recently, here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XKzoxhj0I28

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
10/2/17 9:14 p.m.
Jerry From LA said:

Are you worried at all about deflection with the Lexan spoiler?

Yes, that's why I have struts coming to fix the flex

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
10/3/17 9:40 a.m.

At the rear quarter I noticed screws thru the end plates to the 'bodywork' panel. Are you chasing that joint with methylene chloride (plasitic cement)?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/3/17 3:35 p.m.

Hehe I like the clear covers! Lexan doors might look cool but they'd probably also be heavier. Maybe if there were a visibility advantage...

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
10/3/17 3:54 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yes, I have some stuff called Weld-On 4 acrylic adhesive. It is supposed to be the good stuff for polycarbonate.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
10/12/17 7:57 a.m.

In your infinite wisdom are the interior panels assisting airflow/downforce  perchance .....or just making things look purty? 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
10/12/17 10:16 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I doubt any of the interior panels contribute to the aerodynamics, but the sealing off of the front (under the hood) probably helps with downforce. I spent a ton of time replacing all the piping from turbo to engine to shave off a few pounds, here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DIxYHlVrXkg

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
10/12/17 4:19 p.m.

Yea your tig welding is e36m3 alright..........uh not!!! Question, is the intercooler supported separately from the engine or is there a bracket off the bell housing somewhere? 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
10/12/17 6:53 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

There is an aluminum rod going from the back of the intercooler to the floor. It's pretty basic and I was thinking about doing something a little fancier because it's going to be a long, long winter and I have time to do it right. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
10/12/17 9:54 p.m.

In a previous post you mentioned this tubing coming apart during 'testing/run'.....now that this has been mitigated with your superb fab/welding skills .....my concern is vibration on this assembly. Would a bracket thingy holding the intercooler to the motor with appropriate biscuits virtually eliminate the chance for loss of boost? 

1 ... 68 69 70 71 72
Our Preferred Partners
Zk0SEOBxQW5jcP43X4WXGlYqEQfoMnUo