1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 113
frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
10/28/18 5:36 p.m.
loosecannon said:

In reply to sleepyhead :

The radiator position/mounting hasn't been finalized yet but I'm leaning towards making it more vertical and directly behind Panhard bar. The mounting for the rad needs to be robust (heavy) so I want the rad mounts to be as short as possible, plus there is a benefit in having shorter rad hoses because water is heavy.

There is a modest weight savings by using thin wall aluminum to carry the water rather than rubber. Plus aluminum radiates heat so it should offer a modest heat reduction. 

The nice thin is I did that to my race car in mid 1970’s and it’s still in place at the museum where it’s on display.  

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
10/29/18 6:00 p.m.

I spent today just getting my new through-frame rear sway bar mount right, and here it is

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/18 10:29 a.m.

Lookin' good! I'm still following along but haven't posted in a while because you're doing everything so well haven't seen anything worth criticizing laugh

Only tip I have is that you might want to consider aerocatches or aerolocs in place of Dzus fasteners, mainly for convenience.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
10/30/18 11:05 p.m.

More stuff mounted. I love the new rear sway bar mount and the rad is in a new place, too Click for Video

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/1/18 6:33 p.m.

Looking good.  I've been liking the more frequent ~10 min updates. It looks like the gains are going to be large in Mass centralization space.  Should lower PMOI pretty good.  

One thought on the radiator would you have space to put it beside the engine.  Basically put it longitudinal behind the passenger door.  It looks like there is space there and that would put it more where you already have structure, put it more centralized and shorten the water plumbing.  Plus you'd have a cool hole in the door.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/1/18 10:17 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

The rad in the passenger side door is a great idea that I seriously considered but at the end of the 2016 season I realized the car was way too heavy on the passenger side and that's when I moved everything I could to the left. Now it's only slightly heavy on the passenger side and maybe it will be perfect with the new cage because I have less stuff on that side of the car. I moved the fuel cell to in front of the axle today 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/5/18 10:38 p.m.

Spent a lot of time getting the brace tubing to fit right and finished getting them all tack welded in

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/6/18 9:37 p.m.

The last of the roll cage is welded in and some work happens on the front radiator ducting Video Here

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/7/18 9:08 p.m.

The ducting for the front rad is done, I just have to add the radiator. There is also a NACA duct hidden in there for the air intake-it looks slick, wait for the video.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/7/18 9:31 p.m.

The relocation of the radiator to the nose was a result of????? what did I miss between kart sessions????

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/7/18 10:55 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

It's not a relocation, this is for a radiator that goes to the oil cooler to keep oil temps down. The rules say that I can cut a hole in the hood for a water radiator so I can't run oil through it, I have to run water through it. The regular radiator is still at the back

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/8/18 3:21 a.m.
loosecannon said:

The ducting for the front rad is done, I just have to add the radiator. There is also a NACA duct hidden in there for the air intake-it looks slick, wait for the video.

I'm now waiting patiently for the first tufted speed run test... even though that won't happen until spring

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/8/18 8:45 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Oh, I have thought about doing that. Speedway Motors released their video of Nationals this year and I am in it quite a bit. I forgot that they interviewed me. Speedway Motors Nationals Video

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/8/18 11:38 a.m.

EDIT: DERP, missed that Loosecannon saw it this morning.  so accidental repost!

Loosecannon and the MG got screen time and a quick interview in the 2018 Speedway Motors Solo Nationals Recap Video 

2:20 in the video for the appearance.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhKgs-egmDg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR26rmOazq33asb5-rkXpcS_4HJiu9las3lNmQzfQGqD41Tpm-7xYjwWcAA

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/8/18 6:59 p.m.

I have the car up in the air so I can do final welding on the cage. I also built a structure to hold up the rear bodywork.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
11/9/18 6:23 a.m.

The above photo definitely shows a well used, BUILDERS kind of shop!

Great work and thanks again for allowing us to follow along with you.  It's helping the creative "redesign" thoughts going on my own builds!

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/9/18 1:17 p.m.

In reply to JGRAHAM :

I'm embarrassed how disorganized my area is. I work on the car until I'm too tired to clean up then leave and come back the next day. I did some organization today because I couldn't decide what to do on the car. I did weigh the car but am not ready to publish an official weight for it. I am pretty optimistic about being close to minimum weight.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/9/18 7:16 p.m.

Yay! Another video of the progress being made See what I have done

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/10/18 12:54 p.m.

Loose, the NACA in the  hood duct is absolutely brilliant!!!and who knew your revised shock cross member looks like it was always part of the 'PLAN'. Now , will the oil cooler be of a short height but long in length similar air /water inter coolers I've seen? The grille will be what???

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/10/18 3:05 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yeh, it worked out quite nicely. The cooler must have water/coolant going through it, according to the rules, and will be just above the NACA duct and from one side to the other. There will be no grille because it would disturb airflow

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/16/18 8:27 p.m.

I worked on the firewall all week and it's looking good but I'm still not finished. It has been harder to do than the roll cage. Video

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/19/18 10:18 p.m.

My simulated digital dash until the real one arrives

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/22/18 10:15 p.m.

I uploading a new video today and here is a sneak peak at what you will see The video

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/23/18 8:29 a.m.

First...belated Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Second...is a cross bar in the Rbar hoop a rule requirment?

Third.....the front radiator/cooler/hoses and it's weight/ position cause for concern from a CG perspective?

Fourth.....YES on the 'wicker' bill at your hood opening .....not an aerodynamicist nor did I sleep at a holiday inn so I can't say how tall to make it to achieve the desired effect. How accessible is your F1 friend on this topic?

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/23/18 9:20 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Thank you. There is no rule for a cross bar on the roll bar, only that it needs brace bars 2/3rd the way up. I will be putting a small cross bar to keep the harness at a proper height. The front radiator will be small enough that the Cg change is not a concern. The benefits will more than make up for the weight deficit. I'll shoot an email to my aero guy but I think he's out of the freelance aero business and doubt I'll get a reply.

1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 113

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lRJJgXndNWElvvSkBg6fFipDeQiROjnCGOec0gsoJBpNG3bfQ8vIWZ5slTAWTIyx