1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 ... 113
NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
1/26/19 6:21 a.m.

What he said above. Been along for the ride since the first cut on the GT and will be reading long past the point where I ran out of admiration adjectives.

Pete

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/26/19 6:21 p.m.

"I took a MGB/GT with a V12 Jag bullet and have morphed it into a national contender(possible outright champion) in these pages for all to see and embrace." And should one not see immediately what this entails please start from the beginning....you wont be disappointed.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
2/1/19 7:24 a.m.

No car stuff this week, just some background on me and Speedworld Episode 234

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/1/19 1:50 p.m.

Thanks for the tour of the car yesterday, it was awesome to see this thing in person and check out the track. It's been so cool to follow along on here and youtube and see all the progress you've made over the years. Next time I'm in town I'll hopefully have time to drive one of the karts too.

Keep at it, looking forward to some autocross video in the spring.

Adam

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
2/1/19 2:47 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

It was great meeting a fan of the car in person, I would love more of that. You were out the door and I immediately regretted not getting a picture of you with the car. Hopefully you will be back soon and we can go for some kart racing and get that picture, too

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/19 4:28 p.m.

Outstanding

motoidiot
motoidiot New Reader
2/1/19 5:09 p.m.

Just a note that I too have been following along from the beginning and love seeing new updates. Please keep up the good work and keep on sharing it with us!

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/2/19 4:13 p.m.

Ok, it's been way too long since I have posted a video, and there is a reason for that. Click here to see why

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/2/19 4:37 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

So who is running the track?

Pete

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/2/19 5:42 p.m.

There looks to be a fun class to take in 3 years...

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/2/19 7:48 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Briget is still at Speedworld all day and when I get off school at 3:15, I drive to the track and do the work I need to do. I have a full time mechanic but he's new to the position so anything he can't figure out, he leaves until I get there. I am also at Speedworld on Saturdays and Sundays or any time I'm needed so we're making it work.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
3/3/19 6:22 p.m.

Does the pulsed MIG put less extraneous heat into the part?  Would it be better on sheet metal than straight MIG?

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/3/19 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA :

Yes, that is exactly it. There is less heat and smoke from pulsed mig so it's better for thin stuff

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/4/19 9:45 p.m.

LOOSEC......your welding video is spiritual!!!!.....AMEN !!! $17k for that Miller welder? I don't know how you could possibly  swing that past (purchasing) Ms. B....but wow, what a freekin' game changer that is(miller welder).....100% duty cycle.....butter smooth welds (argon shield gas????).....material thickness.....who cares????......just adjust the knobs and voila!!! an A+ in class....good on on you. And here I thought you were one of these fabrication savants.....the 'X' hangs on the back garage wall as I type. Hey, what were your settings on your 'HOOD' ? Stay warm you two......peace out.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/4/19 9:50 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

What hood are you talking about? We don't have the right power in our building to run any fancy welder and I certainly don't have the money for one of them. It's fine, the car is all together now and doesn't need any more welding but it certainly would have helped if I had one earlier.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/4/19 10:17 p.m.

The welding hood you're wearing at 'SKOOL' to perform those absolutely buttter smooth practice welds.....

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/5/19 7:44 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

The shade level depends on what kind of welding I am doing. For oxy-acetylene it was at shade 9 and for flux-core it was shade 12. The shade setting can be tricky because a lower number makes the puddle more visible but if you go too low then you get spots on your eyes that make it impossible to see what you're doing for a while. I have the sensitivity set high and the delay set low.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/5/19 9:00 p.m.
loosecannon said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

The shade level depends on what kind of welding I am doing. For oxy-acetylene it was at shade 9 and for flux-core it was shade 12. The shade setting can be tricky because a lower number makes the puddle more visible but if you go too low then you get spots on your eyes that make it impossible to see what you're doing for a while. I have the sensitivity set high and the delay set low.

Thanks ....now to figure out how to get my hands on one of those killer Miller's.....

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/5/19 9:43 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I'm sure you can get a pulsed mig cheaper than that unit I was using. It had dual spools, dual tanks and a fancy kart to hold it all. Just go to your local welder supply store and ask to try out a pulsed mig machine-it's pretty cool. I was told today that pulsed mig aluminum is awesome but I won't get a chance to try that at school.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/28/19 10:28 a.m.

My WW2 P&H pales in the presence of that Miller!

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/28/19 10:19 p.m.

Well, if it can join two pieces of steel together, it's useful. My little 120V Hobart seems awfully inadequate compared to the machines I use at school, but I've stitched together a race car and 13 karts with it and none of them have broken so it can't be that bad.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/29/19 12:59 a.m.

A welder is only as good as it's operator......

Except for flux core.  devil

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/30/19 6:19 a.m.

I am on Spring Break and spent some time on the car and drove it around a little See video here

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/30/19 7:11 p.m.

LC you know how much I admire the 'P' , but would you please 'dress'(smooth) the edge of the top front fenders where the 'wicker' comes up from the splitter?  Tanx...

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/30/19 9:10 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yes, I can do that. where exactly are you talking about?

1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 ... 113

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C29YyKhV9t7I5qao7uM5xKZXHlMU0nIFK6AchDbIZNfhESuOdEI8CcKXxtYzMuiV