1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
1/25/16 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Chidos: I am actually using a take off turbo from an R32 GT-R. I'm not looking for massive power right now, we are basically bolting it on to a relatively stock 3.5 and only looking for a max 10psi for straightline race days, and roughly 6 -7 for day to day street / roadtrack use, so the size may seem small, but in regards to the desired setting, it should be adequate.

In reply to Flight Service: If a Hellcat charger were to get written off and available for parts at the right price, I would probably consider it

In other news, I tied up my internet for roughly 3 hours to upload a new video to YouTube!!

Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nCoIDso_wL8

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/26/16 1:10 a.m.

That will probably spool fast and run out of breath early. I know I'm did on my rb25. I would imagine it would just blow the tires out followed by a sad torque converter. What are you doing for oil lines?

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
1/26/16 6:14 a.m.

Custom oil feed line. Going to check pressure from the factory oil cooler out line and see if that has sufficient pressure. If not, then some careful drilling into the block.

The return will be just a line dumping back into the pan, which will be fun on an aluminum pan.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
1/26/16 2:10 p.m.

Gtst maybe? I thought all the gtrs were twin and used the rb26. Anyways as crank walk said, I feel you'll be disappointed with it greatly considering the effort you put in and the people who put those turbos on things usually go on motors half your size. Just saying, before you go though the extreme effort, read a few compressor maps and plot your engine on the skyline turbo map to see where you stand. I think it's an awesome idea I just don't want to see you disappointed from slapping on a illsized turbo.

Edit: it's not one of those wonky plastic impeller ones is it? I can't remember all the Nissan turbo details but I recall some plastic and some ceramic impellers that weren't good. I did stick a gtir t28 with the big .86 exhaust housing on a 1.8 and I think it's the biggest factory t28 Nissan made and on a 1.8l it was fine but I suspect it would be terrible on a 3.5 unless your only revving to maybe 5000rpm max

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
1/27/16 8:53 a.m.

Redline on the car is 6600rpm.

The car it came off of is a 92 R32 GT-R (he claims its a NISMO, he may just be trying to justify in his head the money he paid for the car) I helped the guy pull the pair of them off prior to him upgrading to larger twins.

When I get home I will need to upload the picture of the tag I have for the turbo. The 'part number' on the tag doesn't work on Garrett turbo's site, so maybe someone here may be able to help shed some light for me.

The overall goal of the turbo addition is to keep it daily driven, and the only track I will be attending favors low to mid-range power.

The upside to doing all this work on a smaller turbo, if I'm not happy with it, I can always source a larger turbo and bolt it on and do the few little upgrades needed then (fuel pump, injectors) vs. the huge task that we are undertaking right now. And with the shaft, bearings and turbo, the turbo itself hasn't cost me $300 yet so I think the 'bang for buck' should be worth it lol

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
1/27/16 9:33 p.m.

Hope that works. Trying flickr links from my phone.

edit well the picture doesn't show up on my phone.

re edit fixed picture

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
1/28/16 10:13 p.m.

Spoke with my boss today. Possibly rebuilding the turbo on Saturday, and delivering my car on Sunday if the weather holds. I will take pics regardless

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/29/16 12:19 a.m.
chiodos wrote: Gtst maybe? I thought all the gtrs were twin and used the rb26. Anyways as crank walk said, I feel you'll be disappointed with it greatly considering the effort you put in and the people who put those turbos on things usually go on motors half your size. Just saying, before you go though the extreme effort, read a few compressor maps and plot your engine on the skyline turbo map to see where you stand. I think it's an awesome idea I just don't want to see you disappointed from slapping on a illsized turbo. Edit: it's not one of those wonky plastic impeller ones is it? I can't remember all the Nissan turbo details but I recall some plastic and some ceramic impellers that weren't good. I did stick a gtir t28 with the big .86 exhaust housing on a 1.8 and I think it's the biggest factory t28 Nissan made and on a 1.8l it was fine but I suspect it would be terrible on a 3.5 unless your only revving to maybe 5000rpm max

One of the GTR turbos from an early r32 will be t28 sized roughly. He's just using one of the turbos not the twin setup. Also this wouldn't have the rb20 ceramic wheels that you are talking about.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
1/29/16 2:27 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk: That's the case here. The price was right, and the learning experience of rebuilding a turbo will be nice as well

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
2/3/16 10:51 a.m.

Took the car out yesterday and dropped it off at the shop. Just some more welding to do on a 54 Chrysler and she goes in.

It may not seem like a big deal to anyone here but this is actually happening and its exciting and scary all at the same time.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
2/19/16 9:33 a.m.

Video Log

Just a brief update and a drive along as I head for the shop with my car

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
3/3/16 1:55 p.m.

Well, progress has been slow. Life has a habit of getting in the way it seems.

Upside, I have only a few more things to purchase / acquire before getting into the nitty gritty of adding the turbo. Upside, I have a bunch of 'front of engine' work to do, so we are going to have the front end sufficiently torn apart to make everything go together hopefully smoothly.

Depending on how things go I may spend some time on it this weekend.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
3/8/16 7:23 a.m.

Good luck man. I hope it turns into a tire shredding beast.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
3/8/16 8:21 a.m.

Thanks! The local weather and my health have been playing games against each other lately. When its beautiful outside I have headaches and dizzy spells. When I fine fantastic we have horrible driving conditions keeping me at home or leaving straight for home after work.

That said, my needed parts list is getting smaller and smaller. And this weekend I am going to tackle gutting my trunk out and shaving any dead weight I can.

I will take some pictures and be sure to upload them to here!

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
3/22/16 12:08 p.m.

Well, progress has been slow as of late. Have done some further weight reduction but waiting on some battery cable to relocate the battery to the trunk and the truck box needs to go in for paint THEN all the plumbing can start to take place. I need to be done and running before May 22nd to be in time for the first local test and tune (1/8th mile drags)

In other news I have been focusing on starting some renovations around the farm that may or may not be due to some threads on here.

I have a shop / garage to do a cheap fix up on (when you see it, it will make sense) as well as a bathroom upstairs to do, and a room being converted to a den / office upstairs as well.

Also I acquired an 09 lancer over the weekend that is going to be an engine donor for the Lancer my dad paid off that has a spun bearing, plus the big truck needs parts installed, little truck needs maintenance and we are coming into race season...

Hopefully soon better updates and pictures!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/16 2:32 p.m.

Keep it up

Congrats on the lancer donor find.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
4/6/16 7:02 p.m.

Well, today I put tires on order. Pair of M/T 24.5x8R15's for drags and a set of 245/45ZR18 Nitto NT555 G2 for daily duties. From what I have heard, the group that was putting on the track days on the go kart track this year the cost is skyrocketing (from $230 for the day to $230/hr) so the number of events being held may be limited and being 2 hours from the location the number I can attend is decreased as well. So I may just abuse a set of all seasons on rims I got for $100 for my 'track time' until things get sorted out.

Actually install of parts coming soon, I swear!

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
4/30/16 9:41 p.m.

3 weeks and I got a battery in the trunk. WooHoo!

Still need to add in threaded rods and a metal bar to keep the whole set up 100% secure, add a vent to atmosphere, and rivet in a sheet of aluminium behind the seat back and not have any tech issues.

Ground cable has a star washer (the kind that bites into the metal) UNDER the eyelet and a nylon locknut on top as well as a lock washer on the other side of the metal to hopefully keep it secured.

Inside is a 150 amp fuse, just in case.

The switch even works to kill the car while running. BEcause it is a daily driver still, the switch is actually mounted behind the license plate to deter "friends" from killing my car in traffic to be "funny"

I should note that the two connectors ziptied together are related to the A/C which went away a long long time ago.

Cable is 1 gauge wire from the battery to fuse to switch to the front of the car. Ground cable is 4 gauge.

Now that there is space underhood we have figured out how the exhaust will meet on the passenger side. For now I am staying with the 2.5 inch set up so I can upgrade to 3 inch next year and possibly add a dump pipe for track days.

Next step is drain fluids, get some maintenance out of the way (Timing belt, water pump, thermostat, Harmonic balancer, P/S pump) add the relocation kit for the oil filter, add the bigger trans cooler, repurpose the factory trans cooler for oil cooling duties, exhaust and oil line for turbo, add fluids and turn key. Simple enough right?

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
4/30/16 9:50 p.m.

Also, here is my rallied lancer I picked up as a donor for the one we have sitting needing an engine. Plan is also to snag the speakers from this one for my personal car as well

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
4/30/16 10:44 p.m.

In reply to DjGreggieP:

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
4/30/16 11:21 p.m.

??

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
5/2/16 6:52 p.m.

I have a box full of vital fluids sitting in my truck, should help with doing some of the maintenance items on the list.

Its entirely possible to add a turbo to a car that has only been done once before in under 20 days right?... right???

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
5/14/16 10:36 a.m.

Welp, been spending the last week trying to work on it. Did the maintenance stuff and now I have a no start issue. So it is looking like I am not going to be making the first race of the season.

Also, sounds like the one club that hosts track days is bumping price up to $50 AND mandatory membership to their club which means meetings HAVE to be attended regularly and they are two hours away from me so I am unsure how much track time I will see this season.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
5/15/16 10:01 a.m.

IT Runs! Now to rebuild a turbo and finish the exhaust then mock in an intake. Will be adding the intercooler later, but SHOULD be making it out to the first test and tune sunday

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
5/31/16 1:04 p.m.

Well, got the turbo rebuilt, and it was surprisingly easy. Everything is bolted together and now chasing a few other gremlins not directly related to the turbo but it is running AND driving with a turbo on it.

Will have to take a video once we start doing some shake downs with the car. I did miss the first test and tune but I should be good to go for July!

Thanks for tuning in!!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
68M2hqhoJcztBPmL2GcvUkw9ceHRq8g7t4wcQDgirpKbEMAWoX6mO08gm4FggFjw