1 ... 5 6 7
vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
1/25/20 9:11 p.m.

That intercooler position doesn't appear to allow much airflow behind that fascia. Is there an opening underneath that allows air to come up?

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
1/27/20 2:47 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

There is a large opening and a factory 'air dam' (re: black plastic trim piece) that runs the gap of the bumper. Hard to see in this stock photo:

And the bumper has a bit of a downward angle to its shape as well. The plan is that the majority of the intercooler will be in the opening. I'll need to get better picture because there is a distinct lack of low angle views of the front bumper of these cars...

Future plans I would 'like' to design a splitter/airdam combination that helps direct some air through the intercooler then the rad AND under the car... but that's a far ways off yet, need to get a proper amount of seat time. I do plan on 'ducting' to direct air into the rad from the intercooler, tho that will be after I get all the charge piping sorted out. So much to do to increase reliability and survivability...

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
2/1/20 10:43 p.m.

There's a better picture of the underside of the bumper. It's not fully installed as of yet so I can easily remove it as I get other little jobs finished, and still need to mount the inter-cooler yet as well, but there is a lot of engine bay reassembly to do as well yet too

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
2/28/20 10:52 p.m.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
3/6/20 12:41 p.m.

So the other weekend I was able to pull the engine and transmission from my parts car. This weekend I hope to split the engine from transmission, and then the plan is to clean thoroughly, replace seals, transfer over the a couple sensors, and replace the filter and install it into the car.

Also need to tackle a few more things in the engine bay, hose clamps, belt, hoses, rad fan assembly, and I think a single horn needs to get mounted yet as well. 

Slowly plodding along and getting excited to drie it again soon.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
3/12/20 5:32 p.m.

So I was able to split the pulled engine and transmission from each other, only really had to fight with one bolt. Next step its a heavy duty cleaning. It's absolutely COVERED in grease and gravel road grime, BUT no sign of a visible leak, and fluid that fills the transmission is bright red and smells fresh, even tho the car has sat in my yard for 2 years (and about 4 years in a different yard prior to it getting to me), so plan is to clean it and throw new seals and filter inside then fill with fresh fluid. 

**Hopefully** get it fully functional in advance of the end of May so I can troule shoot any issues from it sitting so long and recieving numerous/various changes and upgrades to the vehicle overall.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
3/15/20 2:46 p.m.

Yes, I split the engine from transmission on a pre cut pallet, and the decision to split FROM the torque converter was because I had never heard the engine run, was told it 'made noise' and had pulled the heads off it 2 years ago so I wasn't certain that the engine would turn over. Upside, it does spin over easily so it should be a decent starting point for a rebuild.

1 ... 5 6 7
Our Preferred Partners
WRQp7GUjLLdmVxQM4EAGPjtULRhHuN5O7CTaEfDsjmOgVZJxinXI1uLoB8rMAgaO