1 2 3 ... 18
bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/4/20 6:12 p.m.

So.

After having a build here for my 95 Mustang GT,I found that having that thread helped me to push on when I wanted to give up.

95 Mustang GT Restomod

Here is my latest build, a 1997 Chevrolet S10 4.3  109K miles. Pcs are after it got towed home and I pressure washed the whole truck, it's in amazing shape and the details make it better as long as the back story.

Plans are to clean it up. Service it fully. Lower it mildly and see where that takes me.  I dont want to be radical.....just clean.

Initially it will be getting a new GM battery tray as I wasnt happy with the way the OE looked. A GM battery and a full tune up with factory parts.  I work here at a local dealer and can get GM parts easily, so I will be as OEM as possible where possible and applicable (read affordable and available).

So the short version here is this. My Granddaddy passed around September of last year. He was the last one I had and his passing was hard. Im still dealing with it in my way, but this was his truck. He was a Veteran and was in the Army Air Corps before it became the Air Force. My other Grandfather had passed when I was younger and I wasn't into cars or social media car forum build things. He was a WW2 Veteran who had served in Normandy and that whole theater as a Sherman tank commander (think FURY.....he was Brad Pitt). Miss him too and I feel my son missed out on meeting him.  Without getting too weepy eyed here.  Both heroes to me and our family and sorely missed.

On to the truck.

Pic of the legend himself, cause I wanted to. Sorta looks like hes looking down on the truck.....hoping I dont mess this up!

I had been looking for something to replace my Subaru with, and after missing out on several good deals this happened. My Mom called and told me this truck was sitting at my Aunts house unused.  A quick trip to the beach and there she was. Low mileage clean S10. The family decided to look out for me and gifted me the truck for free! Wow. A low mileage 4.3 S10 thats clean that was in the family - owned by my late Grandaddy.  Hit me in the good way. Super blessed and thankful to all those who helped me get this and I will do my best to make sure she is right!

Love you Grandaddy!

Post Script.....

finally moved.  Woohoo.  Still getting settled in. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/20 7:11 a.m.

Man, that's like exactly the next project ive been jonesing for. I'll be following along!

You're right, both your Grandpas were heroes.  Great backstory, great truck.  and the house is cool too.

bonylad
5/5/20 8:39 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Man, that's like exactly the next project ive been jonesing for. I'll be following along!

Thank you!

bonylad
5/5/20 8:40 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

You're right, both your Grandpas were heroes.  Great backstory, great truck.  and the house is cool too.

Appreciate that. I will do my best to not jack this up. Lol.

Thanks on the house too.  Interest rates are low and we got it cheaper montly than most comparable places go to rent alone!

That thing is awesome! 

bonylad
5/5/20 9:59 a.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

That thing is awesome! 

Thanks!

bonylad
5/5/20 10:00 a.m.

Well,first order of business.

Order a bunch of factory tune up parts. Done. This also includes a factory battery tray. Mine was rusted and I probably could have saved it but it's cheap enough to replace.

Parts eta tomorrow!

This includes:

Plugs, wires, trans filter and fluid, fuel filter, cap and rotor, battery tray and battery.

Thanks Tony!

I think the theme will be period correct.  I have in my cart new headlamps which are the led type (modern concession) along with a Belltech 2/3 drop kit with shocks and miscellaneous parts.  I intend to pull the front grill and bumper and repaint them black.  Idk about wheels as part of me likes the steelie look.  

Maybe a redo with some chrome wheel rings? 

Any suggestions?  No damn 22s and a mini tub lol.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/5/20 12:40 p.m.

You asked for suggestions....

Drop it a little lower than you had planned. Go with the Belltech 4/5 kit that includes rear leaf springs. Use spindles AND springs in the front. Belltech is guaranteed winner on drop parts. I've used them all. Belltech is king. Do it right with all their parts and it will ride stock and your alignment guy in the shop won't have any dirty words to say about doing the job.

Lots of those GM factory parts you have access to. Get them now before they obsolete from the system. GM is always superior.

Muscle car/Vette type of rallys. Old school 15 inch diameter please.  Argent silver. Beauty rings. "disc brake" center caps. You've seen this combo on coutless Chevelles/Novas/Vettes. 

Update the grille to the fancier one with the composite headlamps. My 99 SQ8 truck was a beauty after I did a billet insert in it.

Grab one of those OEM GM rear roll pans. It's a good quality steel part straight from the General. I seem to remember cheap spec trucks came with them in lieu of bumpers. Last one I bought was scandalously cheap and I didn't even get inside good guy pricing like you can. Send the pan over to the body shop and call in a favor to get it paint matched.

Bribe the dealership detail guys to work on it at lunch and slick that paint up as much as possible.

My best buddy is a parts guy at a local GM dealership and I see him do projects like this all the time. He has a relationship with all the guys there at the dealership and things like alignments, spot painting, and paint correction seem to magically just happen during slow times and after work or whatever. I envy your connections at a dealership.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/5/20 1:27 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

Nice story I've always liked the S10 and really liked it once I saw one with the 5.7 (350 ) He got away with the 2 extra cylinders by using  the short water pump from Corvettes  and took the extra weight off the front end with the Aluminum heads and intake. 

bonylad
5/5/20 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

Other than the degree of drop I agree all the way!  Thank you for the time you took to write all that and hopefully we will see some of your suggestions to fruition.  Thank you sir!

EDIT - I prefer this style front end. I will be running some nice looking LED headlamps - think it will look good. Will update. Thanks!

bonylad
5/5/20 1:36 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

At least at this point I don't plan on a swap.  I plan perhaps some sort of pose added down the road but I am not sure what the truck wants to be and how it wants me to make it?

Thanks!  

IDK why my reply was in bold?

An S-10 recently appeared down the road from me and it's wearing C4 rims - I've never seen that done before and I find it amazingly sharp looking!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/5/20 1:46 p.m.

Beautiful house. Nice truck! Can't wait to see it dropped. Something about regular cab + long bed is so sexy when dropped on the right wheels. 

Is the paint faded?

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/5/20 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux (Forum Supporter) :

that S10 on sawblades looks amazing.. that i vote for that.. 

bonylad
5/5/20 3:29 p.m.

Only issue with somethat is I would have to run 2-2.5 inch spacers all around. Not a fan of spacers. Though maybe something similar?  

Thanks!

bonylad
5/5/20 3:30 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Somewhat yes, some clear coat missing. Hood needs some love. I intend to go through it once I get further along. 

The long bed is growing on me!

Thanks!

bonylad
5/5/20 3:30 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

that S10 on sawblades looks amazing.. that i vote for that.. 

I wish! Just dont wanna have to run that large of a spacer to make it work.  I have some thoughts though...........

Thanks!

bonylad
5/5/20 6:21 p.m.

Alright. 

Had some time to burn this afternoon after work. Began with basics. Used some evaporust on some surface rust and once it dries I will touch up with some black miracal paint to blend. Waiting on parts atm. 

Soaked it all. Before pic. 

After soaking with degreaser and evaporust I hit it with a pressure washer. 

Much better. 

I will let it all dry and post more pics as I go. Working 11 hr days at the moment and done get home till around 6. So. Doing what I can. Thanks!

bonylad
5/6/20 1:17 p.m.

Box of factory goodness. Waiting on wife to deposit cash so I can order the other stuff. 

Battery not in the picture as it's at the house. 

Woohoo!

bonylad
5/6/20 5:46 p.m.

Alright. 

Installed the battery and tray. Not before I touched up the areas that needed it. 

After a quick check she fired right up!  Runs rough but good. Tuneup coming soon and some fresh gas. 

Got her running!

That thing is gonna be a peach. 

bonylad
5/6/20 8:20 p.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

That thing is gonna be a peach. 

Appreciate it!  

I have decided to focus the first round on improvements that don't overall change the truck so much, but improve it none the less. LED headlights for a slight visual update but drastic improvements in lighting.

Further a conversion from the old style spider style fuel injection to the more updated modern and all improved MPFI swap. Bolts in too.

Reference for what I refer to.

4.3 Vortec MPFI conversion

Ordering a roll pan along with new mirrors with a tensioner and belt as well.  Stay tuned!  

Once this round is done I'll begin the minor cosmetics such as lowering and refinishing the wheels and redoing the headliner. 

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/6/20 8:32 p.m.

So clean! I’m going to guess you and I live in different climates.

bonylad
5/7/20 6:49 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

So clean! I’m going to guess you and I live in different climates.

IDK, lol. Where are you located?  It has surface rust on it, due to it living at the beach for a year or so.

1 2 3 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oGuPkSFpgHlII9NgteK1Ke5rsR2ucCIkhilbl4zBQ4fRTzxKsEaBQYQjSp9P9qTe