1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/9/20 7:10 p.m.

Tires are stripped.  

New bulbs for under hood and under the dash as well as the last (I hope) dry ac seals. 

Started install of the Bluetooth adapter. Ran power but need to get adapters for the stupid mini antenna crap GM is fond of. 

bonylad
6/13/20 2:04 p.m.

Well fellas it's been real. This 4.3 has cost me so much and so much stress. The utter lack of results after all the time and money are making me call it quits. 

On this combo.

So boys time to swap it! Wasn't my first choice but seems to be the best. Dad has a 283 that will fit nicely with a easy to manage hei and carb. Figure out a trans and voila. Stay toooooned!

bonylad
6/13/20 5:48 p.m.

This is working out. Mounts are like 60 bucks. Dad has a 305 and a HEI as well as a couple of carbs. The 305 will fit the 4L60 and it can be made to shift without a computer. Woohoo!

bonylad
6/14/20 11:13 a.m.

Well the Bluetooth adapter sucked. Like low output one number off a station bad. So I'll deal with an audio option later. 

Cleaned up the garage to make room. I'm laying out options but looks like a low mileage L03 305 is gonna go in it. It's from my dad and it was in my brothers 91 Camaro RS. 

Pulled the seat out to clean and get the seat fixed a little before I install the seat covers correctly. 

Didn't take a after pic. I will but degreaser and a rotary brush made quick work of it all. 

Edit. Pic after.

Revised goal is a quick highway cruiser. 3.08 gears and a mid 200 hp 305 will make a fun truck.

bonylad
6/14/20 11:30 a.m.

Found some old pics of the 305 when it was being pulled. Lord this was 6 years ago!  

Replace the horrible stock camshaft and slap some headers on and should be doing fine. 

bonylad
6/14/20 8:13 p.m.

Got started. Radiator is out as well as some more stuff. Need to pull the hood AGAIN and the grill and other crap to make way. Heater hoses mounts y pipe and axle and should come out as an assembly. Pretty sure the flex plate and starter will work as well. Stoked!

bonylad
6/15/20 11:13 a.m.

Only had a half hour to tinker but the core support is nearly out!

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
6/15/20 2:42 p.m.

That's a shame on the 4.3. I assume you are going carb on the 305? Thought about swapping to later Vortec heads if you are looking for more out of it?

bonylad
6/15/20 3:38 p.m.

In reply to bigbrainonbrad :

Yeah tell me about it. I am goin to carb. Picked up a stand alone controller for the 4L60E so with headers and a better cam I should be good to go.

Sorry didn't answer your question. Not at this time no. If some fall in my lap then. Sure! Lol 

bonylad
6/15/20 6:01 p.m.

Oh my.  I hope I remember how this all goes back together.  Lmao. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/15/20 6:06 p.m.

It never goes back together the same way it was. 

At least when I work on stuff. 

bonylad
6/16/20 5:55 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

It never goes back together the same way it was. 

At least when I work on stuff. 

If I forget a couple bolts or brackets.  I mean that's weight reduction!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/20 7:05 a.m.

This thing is gonna be a mile eating machine when your done. 

bonylad
6/17/20 8:36 a.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

This thing is gonna be a mile eating machine when your done. 

I hope so!  Not the quickest but fun!

bonylad
6/17/20 8:37 a.m.

Ordered a radiator and cooling fan setup. Have to notch and fabricobble mounts.  But I have an idea on how to do that and make it look legit. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/20 8:44 a.m.

I vote buy a tig. 

bonylad
6/17/20 8:50 a.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

I vote buy a tig. 

I has no skills for the welding. If I can't make it work with an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and riv nuts I'm not interested lol.

I have to cut some of the support to push the rad forward. Drill two holes for the mounting pegs and then whip up a bracket to seat it at the top. Went with a larger three row. Have had good luck with eBay radiators. Plus this comes with cooling fans and a shroud so that makes that part even easier!

bonylad
6/17/20 9:13 p.m.

So my dad hooked me up. Dizzy. Fuel pump and some other stuff.  But check this out. Holley carb that looks to be based off the code from a 70s LS6!  What?!

bonylad
6/19/20 8:28 p.m.

Test fit the wheels and I have definitely have to run the fronts on the front. Otherwise I'd have to run spacers in the front which I don't wanna do.  Should look nice and tucked.  

bonylad
6/21/20 11:32 a.m.

Well look what we have here! 91 L03 305 outta a Camaro RS that was my brothers.  Definitely gonna put a cam in it  

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/21/20 12:17 p.m.

Small block s10's were the truck to have in my high school years. They are fun to drive. My buddy's 305 truck with just headers and a 600 Holley on an iron intake ran 14s in the quarter mile. He later made the truck much faster but it was always fun on the streets

bonylad
6/21/20 12:27 p.m.
dropstep said:

Small block s10's were the truck to have in my high school years. They are fun to drive. My buddy's 305 truck with just headers and a 600 Holley on an iron intake ran 14s in the quarter mile. He later made the truck much faster but it was always fun on the streets

I'd like to be 13s. Though I'm running the stock open diff 3.08 rear so I don't want to have so much power I have to reengineer the truck. Fun is the goal here. Thanks!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/21/20 12:34 p.m.
bonylad said:
dropstep said:

I'd like to be 13s. Though I'm running the stock open diff 3.08 rear so I don't want to have so much power I have to reengineer the truck. Fun is the goal here. Thanks!

He probably could have gotten it into the 13s but he changed the motor before he changed the rear gears. He ended up with 4:56s so his streetability died. He was also running it thru a th350. Have fun with it, my goal is also 13s in my cruising car using a 3.08 gear and a 3 speed auto. Your shorter first gear in the trans should help! 

bonylad
6/21/20 12:43 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

May have missed it but what's your build? Thanks!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/21/20 6:52 p.m.
bonylad said:

In reply to dropstep :

May have missed it but what's your build? Thanks!

78 zephyr wagon. It's only taken me 7 years to finally pull the running stock i6 

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RomJaVdkwapRlm0MGUR5sLBwD4CBh60lo0SRM2LnVCoXyno4EpVjIRkz15C08jbn